Gerardine P. Paculanang,
Gabriela G. Suarez,
Hanaru A. Tan,
Anke Christian Tiu
This study aimed to determine the anthropometric measurements of trisikad drivers and ergonomic measurements of trisikads as determinants of low back pain disability among trisikad drivers of selected barangays of Cebu City in the year 2017-2018 and develop an occupational therapy intervention based on the results. This study used a descriptive-predictive correlational survey research design to gather anthropometric and ergonomic data from trisikad drivers and their trisikads respectively and determine the linear relationship of both factors in the development of low back pain disability. In determining the severity of low back pain disability for the respondents, the Oswestry Disability Index was administered to 176 out of 328 respondents -- trisikad drivers -- with ages ranging from 18 to 60 years old. These respondents were required to be affiliated to the selected barangays of Cebu City, specifically Barangay Guadalupe and Barangay Labangon.
The average respondent was found to have a left arm length of 177.37 centimeters, right arm length of 177.65 centimeters, trunk length of 145.06 centimeters, leg length of 218.82 centimeters, spinal angle of 16.49 centimeters, exhibited posterior pelvic tilt, and a body mass index of 21.92. The average trisikad of the respondents was noted to have a bike frame size of 227.66 centimeters, seat angle of 9.74 degrees, seat height of 190.50 centimeters, handle height of 195.75 centimeters, and distance from seat to handle of 173.61 centimeters. The results of the Oswestry Disability showed that majority (90.9%) had minimal low back pain disability while only five and seven percent (5.7%) had moderate low back pain disability and three and four percent (3.4%) had maximal low back pain disability. It was noted that arm length of the respondents (left = 177.37cm and right = 177.65cm) as well as posterior pelvic tilt in using their trisikad, contributed to the imbalance of force distribution and adding strain on the back. In the anthropometric measurements and the ergonomic measurements as determinants of low back pain disability, significant subcategories that contribute to low back pain disability were the right and left arm (p=0.004) of the anthropometric measurements of the respondents, and the bike frame size (p=0.011), seat height (p=0.033), and handle height (p=0.023) of the ergonomic measurements of the trisikads (R2=0.145).
In conclusion, right and left arm length of the trisikad driver, and the bike frame size, seat height, and handle height of the trisikad are determinants of low back pain disability for trisikad drivers in the selected barangays of Cebu City. The researchers recommend the respondents and other trisikad drivers be educated on proper body mechanics to prevent further development of low back pain disability. Local manufacturers of bicycles and trisikads are advised to consider modifications for a more ergonomic bike for prevention of low back pain in drivers. For future researchers, it is recommended that other barangays of Cebu be assessed to determine the variance of anthropometrics and level of low back pain disability.
2. Alghadir, A. , Zafar, H. , Iqbal, Z. , Al-Eisa, E. . "Work-related Lowback pain among physical therapists in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia" Workplace Health & Safety
65(8): 337-345, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/2165079916670167
3. Atlas, A. P. , David, J. A. Z. , Erese, R. R. , Alejandrino, P. M. B. , doClam, M. C. , Agawa, R. . "Prevalence of low back painamong jeepney drivers in Metro Manila: A descriptive study." Philippine Journal of Allied Health Sciences
1(1): 56-57, 2006. Retrieved from: http://scinet.dost.gov.ph/union/ShowSearchResult.php?s=2&f= &p=&x=&page=&sid=1&id=Prevalence+of+low+back+pain+among+jeepney+drivers+in+Metro+Manila%3A+A+descriptive+study&Mtype=ANALYTICS
4. Agarwal, S. , Pradhan, S. , Chaudhuri, G. R. , Das, S. . "Prevalence and risk factors of low back pain among auto rickshaw drivers in Urban Kolkata, India." International Journal of Current Research and Academic Review
5(5): 85-92, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.20546/ijcrar.2017.505.011
5. Balasubramanian, V. , Jagannath, M. , Adalarasu, K. . "Muscle fatigue based evaluation of bicycle design" Applied Ergonomics
45(2): 339-345, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.apergo.2013.04.013
10. Barr, K. P. , Concannon, L. G. , Harrast, M. A. . Braddom's physical medicine & rehabilitation: Low back pain (5th ed.) Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2016. 711-745.
14. David, L. C. G. , Caballero, D. O. . "Work inprogress: Profiling of tricycle drivers as basis for developing an! ergonomics program" Paper presented at the 8th IEEEInternational Conference on Humanoid, Nanotechnology,Information Technology, Communication and Control,Environment and Management (HNICEM), Waterfront Hotel,Cebu, Philippines, 2015. . Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/hnicem.2015.7393193
15. Davidson, M. , Keating, J. . "A comparison of five low back disability questionnaires: Reliability and responsiveness." Physical Therapy
82(1): 8-24, 2002. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1093/ptj/82.1.8
16. International Ergonomics Association.(). Definition and domains of ergonomics.. . Retrieved December 3, 2017, from: http://www.iea.cc/whats/
17. Dizon, A. , De Asis, A. F. , Cuenca, C. , Halos, J. A. , Custodio, B. . "Assessment of occupational hazards contributing to work-related musculoskeletal disorder of Filipino pedicab drivers." Procedia Manufacturing
3, 2848-2853, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.promfg.2015.07.779
18. Dorado, N. J. L. , Fabros, P. D. C. , Rupisan, C. A. N. . "An ergonomic analysis of tricycle sidecars in Quezon City." Procedia Manufacturing
3, 2816-2823, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.promfg.2015.07.757
23. Fritz, J. , Irrgang, J. . "A comparison of a modified Oswestry lowback pain disability questionnaire and the Quebec back pain disability scale." Physical Therapy
81(2): 776-788, 2001. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1093/ptj/81.2.776
25. Garg, A. , Kapellusch, J. . "Applications of biomechanics forprevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders" Ergonomics
52(1): 36-59, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/00140130802480794
28. Grandgaard, L. . Low back pain.. Pedretti’s occupational therapy: Practiceskills for physical dysfunction (7th ed.) St. Louis,MO: Elsevier, 2013. 1091-1109.
29. Gumasing, M. J. J. . "Overall improvement for the designof motorized tricycles in the Philippines: An ergonomic study" Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Industrial engineering and Operations Management,, Bali Indonesia, 2014. . Retrieved from: http://ieomsociety.org/ieom2014/pdfs/344.pdf
30. Haq, S. A. , Darmawan, J. , Islam, M. , Ahmed, M. , Banik, S. K. , FazlurRahman, A. K. M. , Rasker, J. J. . "Incidence of musculoskeletal pain and rheumatic disorders in a Bangladeshirural community: A WHO-APLAR-COPCORD study" International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases
11(3): 216-223, 2008. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1111/j.1756-185X.2008.00364.x
32. Hotzman, J. , Gordon, C. C. , Bradtmiller, B. , Corner, B. , Mucher, M. , Kristensen, S. , Blackwell, C. L. . (). Measurer’s handbook:US army and marine corps anthropometric surveys, 2010-2011. . Retrieved from: http://tools.openlab.psu.edu/publicData/ANSURII-TR11-017.pdf
33. Jacobs, K. . Ergonomics for therapists (3rd ed) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Mosby., 2008.
36. Kielhofner, G. . Conceptual foundations of occupational therapy practice (4th ed.) Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 2009.
39. Kumar, S. . Biomechanics in ergonomics (2nd ed.). Boca Raton,FL: CRC Press, 2007.
41. Law, M. , Cooper, B. , Strong, S. , Steward, D. , Rigby, P. , Letts, L. . "The Person-Environment-Occupation-PerformanceModel: A transactive approach to occupational performance" Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy
63(1): 9-23, 1996. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/000841749606300103
43. Lu, J. L. P. . "Risk factors for low back pain among Filipino manufacturing workers and their anthropometric measurements." Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene
18(3): 170-176, 2003. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/10473220390114986
47. Menezes Costa, L. C. , Maher, C. G. , Hancock, M. J. , McAuley, J. H. , Herbert, R. D. , Costa, L. O. P. . "The prognosis of acuteand persistent low-back pain: a meta-analysis" Canadian Medical Association Journal
184(11): E613-E624, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1503/cmaj.111271
50. Noda, M. , Malhotra , R. , DeSilva, V. , Sapukotana, P. , DeSilva, A. , Kirkorowicz, J. , Ostbye, T. . "Occupational risk factorsfor low back pain among drivers of three-wheelers in Sri Lanka" International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health
21(3): 216-224, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1179/2049396714y.0000000071
55. Petit, A. , Fouquet, N. , Roquelaure, Y. . "Chronic low back pain,chronic disability at work, chronic management issues." Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health
41(2): 107-110, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5271/sjweh.3477
57. Punnett, L. , Pruss-Utun, A. , Nelson, D. I. , Fingerhut, M. A. , Leigh, J. , Tak, S. , Phillips , S. . "Estimating the global burden of low backpain attributable to combined occupational exposures" American Journal of Industrial Medicine
48(6): 459-469, 2005. Retrieved from: http://https://www.who.int/quantifying_ehimpacts/global/5lowbackpain.pdf
60. Poole, J. L. . Musculoskeletal Factors. Willard & Spackman’s occupational therapy (11th ed.) Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2009. 658-680.
61. Salai, M. , Brosh, T. , Blankestein, A. , Oran, A. , Chechik, A. . "Effect of changing the saddle angle on the incidence of low backpain in recreational bicyclists" British Journal of Sports Medicine
33(6): 398-400, 1999. Retrieved from: http://dx.-https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/33/6/398
64. Schultz-Krohn, W. , Pendleton, H. M. . Application of theoccupational therapy practice framework to physicaldysfunction. Pedretti’s occupational therapy: Practice skills for physicaldysfunction (7th ed.) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier, 2013.
65. Shemshaki, H. , Nournian, S. M. A. , Fereidan-Esfahani, M. , Mokhtari, M. , Etemadifar, M. R. . "What is the source of low back pain?" Journal of Cranio vertebral Junction and Spine
4(1): ,21-24, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4103/0974-8237.121620
67. Srivastava, N. , Anand, A. . "A literature review on ergonomics of Indian small auto-vehicles seat design for passenger comfort and safety" International Journal of Technology Innovations and Research
15, 1-8, 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.hctl.org/ijtir/vol15/IJTIR_Article_201505003.pdf
69. Tousignant, M. , Poulin, L. , Marchand, S. , Viau, A. , Place, C. . "The Modified – Modified Schober Test for range of motion assessment of lumbar flexion in patients with low back pain: A study of criterion validity, intra- and inter-rater reliability and minimum metrically detectable change." Disability and Rehabilitation
27(10): 553-559, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/09638280400018411
70. Turpin, M. J. , Iwama, M. K. . Using occupational therapy modelsin practice: A field guide Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2011.
71. van Hoof, W. , Volkaerts, K. , O’Sullivan, K. , Verschueren, S. , Dankaerts, W. . "Comparing lower lumbar kinematics in cyclists with lowback pain (flexion pattern) versus asymptomatic controls — fieldstudy using a wireless posture monitoring system" Manual Therapy
17(4): 312-317, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.mathm2012.02.012
72. van Hoof, W. , Volkaerts, K. , O’Sullivan, K. , Malfait, B. , Verschueren, S. , Dankaerts, W. . "Low back pain in cycling: Does it matterhow you sit?" British Journal of Sports Medicine
48(7): 560-674, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1136/ bjsports-2014-093494