Regina Ann R. Añora,
Jamie Carmel R. Garaña,
Marc Frederick M. Lim,
Althea Leana O. Mandal,
Almira B. Panilag,
Ma. Lourdes Umlas
The purpose of this study was to determine if Allium cepa exhibited antimicrobial activity against Escherichia coli. This study was conducted in Cebu Doctor's University's Research Lab in Mandaue City, Cebu. There were four (4) treatment groups: a positive control (Ciprofloxacin), a negative control (Ethanol), 50% concentration of Allium cepa crude bulb extract, and 100% concentration of Allium cepa crude bulb extract.
Using Kirby Bauer Method, the four treatment groups were tested against Escherichia coli in Mueller-Hinton agar. After 48 hours of incubation in an autoclave, only the positive control (Ciprofloxacin) yielded an average zone of inhibition of 37.06mm, which means Escherichia coli was susceptible to the antibiotic. No zone of inhibition appeared on both experimental groups which are the 50% Allium cepa crude bulb extract and 100% Allium cepa crude bulb extract. Expectedly, our negative treatment group exhibited no extent of antimicrobial properties.
The researchers concluded that Allium cepa is not an effective antimicrobial agent against Escherichia coli. In the interest of future studies, researchers recommend identification of the active ingredient in Allium cepa that gives it its antimicrobial propertiesand also to other plants of Alliiaceae family that are abundant in the Philippines to improve the arsenal of plants that have antimicrobial properties and are available in the country, andutilizing bacteria other than Escherichia coli, to be tested with Allium cepa to test its antimicrobial potential.
2. Balouiri, M. , Sadiki, M. , Ibnsouda, S. K. . "Methods for invitro evaluating antimicrobial activity: A review." Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis
6(2): 71-79, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.jpha.2015.11.005
3. Brooks, G. , Carroll, K. , Butel, J. , Morse, S. , Mietzner, T. (Eds.). . Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's medical microbiology (26th ed.). NewYork: McGraw Hill Medical., 2013.
6. Eltaweel, M. . "Assessment of antimicrobial activity of onion extract(Allium cepa) on Staphylococcus aureus; in vitro study." International Conference on Chemical, Agricultural and Medical Sciences., 2013. . Retrieved from: http://doi.org/10.15242/IICBE.C1213068
9. Joklik, W. , Willett, H. , Amos, D. , Wilfert, C. (Eds.) . Zinsser's Microbiology (20th ed.) California: Appleton & Lange., 2004.
10. Kabrah, A. , Faidah, H. , Ashshi, A. , Turkistani, S. . "Antibacterialeffect of onion." Scholars Journal of Applied Medical Sciences(SJAMS)
4(11D): 4128-4133, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.21216/sjams.2016.4.11.53
13. Lim, J. Y. , Yoon, J. W. , Hovde, C. J. . "A brief overview of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and its plasmid O157." Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
20(1): 1-10, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4014/jmb.0908.08007
16. Packia Lekshmi, N. , Viveka, S. , Jeeva, S. , Raja Brindha, J. . "Efficacy of crude extracts of Allium sativum and Allium cepa againsthuman pathogens." Pelagia Research Library 6(1): 72-78, 2015
17. Parekh, J. , Chanda, S. . "Antibacterial and phytochemical studieson twelve species of Indian medicinal plants." African Journal of Biomedical Research
10(2): 175 – 181, 2007. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/ajbr.v10i2.50624
22. Xie, Y. , Yang, W. , Tang, F. , Chen, S. , Ren, L. . "Antibacterial activities of flavonoids: Structure-activity relationship and mechanism." Current Medicinal Chemistry
22(1): 132-149, 2015. Retrieved from: http://https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266029486_Antibacterial_Activities_of_Flavonoids_Structurectivity_Relationship_and_Mechanism?fbclid=IwAR2LnMozaLc3LC3uvYi8aYqDyri_0tvKzQ5Gqfqb-uiuB1xH9KM2aZUGnew