KHRISA THEA Y. ALMEDA,
DOMINIQUE KRYSTLE O. BORROMEO,
VIEN LYNELLE M. DELA CALZADA,
MARIE ALIANA B. ODULIO,
Liezel Ann G. Tan
The objective of this study was to describe the level of knowledge and attitudes on ADHD and behavior management strategies used on ADHD among the teachers according to each demographic characteristic. A sample size of one-hundred thirty-four (134) respondents participated in this study and it was conducted in five selected schools in Cebu province; namely, STC - Cebu, CIC - Mandaue, SFAS, M. Zed Christian School and DUYAN Learning Center - Mactan arts academy. A descriptive cross-sectional survey design was utilized to analyze the results of the three (3) research instruments, namely, The Knowledge of Attention Deficit Disorders Scale (KADDS), Teachers' Overall Attitudes toward Students with ADHD in their Classrooms (Modified), and Behavior Management Strategies (Modified).
In 134 respondents, majority of the respondents were 20-30 years old (58%), female (90%), had a bachelor's degree (87%) and had 1 month to 5 years of teaching experience (55%). Results showed that 95% of the teachers had a low level of overall knowledge on ADHD and 98% of them had a negative attitude on students with ADHD. Majority of the teachers frequently used reinforcements (96%), followed by emotional support (95%), then organizing the classroom and curriculum (90%). Majority of the respondents of respondents rarely used planned ignoring (78%) and negative consequences (68%) as behavior management strategy. In the cross-sectional analysis, it was seen that majority of the teachers who had low level of knowledge about ADHD were 20-30 years old (58%), female (91%), had a bachelor's degree (86%), and had 1 month to 5 years of teaching experience (54%). Majority of the teachers that had a negative attitude on ADHD were females (90%), 20-30 years old (59%), had a bachelor's degree (87%) and had 1 month to 5 years of teaching experience (65%). Majority of the teachers who frequently used reinforcements were females (89%), 20-30 years old (59%), had a bachelor's degree (86%) and had 1 month to 5 years of teaching experience (56%).
The results of the study indicated that Basic Education Teachers of selected schools in Cebu Province that were female, aged 20-30 years old, had a bachelor's degree, and had one (1) month to five (5) years of teaching experience had a low overall knowledge on ADHD, had a negative attitude on ADHD and used reinforcement more frequently than other classroom management strategies. An OT awareness program was developed based on the results of the study in order to increase their knowledge about ADHD and classroom management strategies they can use on students with ADHD.
2. Abella, F.T. , Rojo, C.A. , Pinili, T.N. . The attitudes of the different sectors towards mainstreaming or inclusive education in St. Theresa’s College of Cebu: Implications in creating a program for children with special educational needs. St. Theresa’s College of Cebu, Cebu City.. 2016.
3. Alkahtani, K. D. F. . "Teachers’ knowledge and misconceptions of attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder" Psychology
4(12): 963-969, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4236/psych.2013.412139
5. Anderson, D.L. , Watt,, S.E. , Noble, W. . "Knowledge of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and attitudes toward teaching children with ADHD: the role of teaching experience" Psychology in the schools
49(6): 511-525, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1002/pits.21617
8. Bruce,, M. A.G. , Borg, B. A. . Psychosocial Frames of References. New Jersey: Slack Incorporated, 2002.
9. Cairncross, M. , Miller, C.J. . "The effectiveness of mindfulness-based therapies for ADHD: a meta-analytic review." Journal of attention disorders
, 1-17, 2016. Retrieved from: http://Doi:10.1177/1087054715625301
10. Case-Smith, J. , Pollock, N. , Law, M. , Stewart, D. , Missiuna, C. . Foundations for occupational therapy practice with children. Occupational Therapy for Children (6th ed.) 2010. 22-55. . Retrieved from: http://www.elsevier.com/permissions
12. Dad,, H. , Ali,, R. , Janjua, M.Z.Q. , Shahzad, S. , Khan, M. . "Comparison of the frequency and effectiveness of positive and negative reinforcement practices in schools" Contemporary issues in education research
3(1): 127-136, 2010. Retrieved from: http://https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1072573.pdf
13. Danciu, E. L. . "Multidisciplinary approach of the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) between hope and reality" Procedia-social and behavioral sciences
15, 2967-2971, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.04.224
19. Landolfi, A. . Inclusive classroom communities: supporting students with characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. University of Toronto. 2014. (MA)
20. Magna Carta for Disabled Persons(). 14th Congress: 5th regular session.
21. Muanprasart, P. , Arunyanart, W. , Teeranate, C. , Traivaree, C. . "Knowledge of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and its associated factors among teachers in 3 large primary school in Phra Nakorn Sri Ayutthaya Province, Thailand." Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand
97(2): 107-S114, 2014. Retrieved from: http://researchpcm.com/data/journal97/S107-S114_PMK5619.pdf.
22. Polirstok, S. . "Classroom management strategies for inclusive classrooms" Creative education
6, 927-933, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4236/ce.2015.610094
23. Reinke, W. M. , Stormont, M. , Herman, K. C. , Wang, Z. , Newcomer, L. , King, K. . "Use of coaching and behavior support planning for students With disruptive behavior within a universal classroom management program" Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
22(2): 74-82, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/1063426613519820
25. Sadock, B. J. , Sadock, V. A. , Ruiz, P. . Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2015. . Retrieved from: http://www.lww.com
26. Safaan, N. , El-Nagar, S. , Saleh, A. . "Teachers' knowledge about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder among primary school children" American Journal of Nursing Research
5(2): 42-52, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.12691/ajnr-5-2-2.
27. Santrock, J.W. . Life- Span Development (14th ed.) New York: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2013. . Retrieved from: http://www.mhhe.com.
28. Schrader, P. G. , Lawless, K. A. . "The knowledge, attitudes, & behaviors approach how to evaluate performance and learning in complex environments" Performance Improvement
43(9): 8-15, 2004. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1002/pfi.4140430905
29. Sciutto, M. J. , Terjesen, M. D. , Kučerová, A. , Michalová, Z. , Schmiedeler, S. , Antonopoulou, K. , Rossouw, J. . "Cross-national comparisons of teachers’ knowledge and misconceptions of ADHD" International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation
5(1): 34-50, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037/ipp0000045.
30. Sherman, J. , Rasmussen, C. , Baydala, L. . "The impact of teacher factors on achievement and behavioural outcomes of children with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): A review of the literature," Educational Research
50(4): 347-360, 2008. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/00131880802499803.
31. Soroa, M. , Gorostiaga, A. , Balluerka, N. . Review of Tools Used for Assessing Teachers’ Level of Knowledge with Regards Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and Adolescents Croatia: InTech, 2013. 151-170. . Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5772/50252.
33. St. Theresa’s College – Cebu(). Vision and mission statement. . Retrieved November 23, 2018, from: http://www.stccebu.edu.ph
34. Stampoltzis, A. , Antonopoulou, K. . "Knowledge and Misconceptions About Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): A Comparison of Greek General and Special Education Teachers" International Journal of School & Educational Psychology
1(2): 122-130, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/21683603.2013.803000
35. Stevens, S. . A teacher looks at the elementary child with ADHD. ADHD Achieving Success in School and in Life Massachusetts: Allyn and Bacon, 2000. 67-80.
38. Walczak, S. , Estrada, RD. . "Ameliorating negative perceptions of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) students" SM Journal of Community Medicine 3(1): 1025-1031,
39. Watling, R. . Interventions and strategies for challenging behaviors. Occupational Therapy for Children (6th ed.) 2010. 434-445. . Retrieved from: http://www.elsevier.com/permissions.
40. Youseff, M. K. , Hutchinson, G. , Youseff, F. F. . "Knowledge of and attitudes toward ADHD among teachers: insights from a Carribean Nation" SAGE Journals
, 1-8, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/2158244014566761