Tyra Marion P. Amodia,
Althea Jonne P. Asehan,
Michelle G. Sagaral,
Gabrielle Roxanne B. Cabunoc
The study aimed to conduct a cross-sectional analysis of the level of drug avoidance self-efficacy and readiness to community reintegration across the demographic factors of substance abuse disorder patients in selected rehabilitation centers in Cebu. The respondents were asked to answer three forms to gather information about the five (5) demographic factors, level of drug avoidance self-efficacy, and readiness to community reintegration: Demographic Profile, Drug Avoidance Self-Efficacy Scale (DASES), and Community Reintegration Measure. The respondents were asked to answer a demographic profile to gather information about the five (5) demographic factors, a Drug Avoidance Self-Efficacy Scale (DASES) to assess level of drug avoidance selfefficacy, and a Modified Community Reintegration Measure to assess readiness to community reintegration.
The researchers found out that there were 127 respondents wherein there were 10 females and 117 males. In terms of level of drug avoidance self-efficacy, majority of the respondents had low self-efficacy with a percentage of 63.8%. Across the demographic factors, those who had high self-efficacy are females (50%), those who were in middle adulthood (58%), and divorced (40%), and under twelve-step rehabilitation program (44%). For the readiness to community reintegration, 89% of the population were ready to reintegrate back to their communities. Across the demographic factors, those who were likely to be ready for community reintegration were females (90%), those who were in middle adulthood (100%), married (91%), and under cognitive-behavioral program (92%).
Based on the findings of the study, it was concluded that those who have low level of drug avoidance self-efficacy were males, who were in early adulthood, and all types of marital status, length of stay, and type of program. In terms of readiness to community reintegration across the demographic factors, all were found to be ready. The researchers would like to recommend to the respondents and their families to participate in specific skills training. It is also recommended to the participating centers to develop a screening method to assess drug avoidance self-efficacy and readiness to community reintegration. Lastly, the Department of Health in the Philippines is recommended to collaborate with Occupational Therapists to develop individualized programs to prevent relapse and facilitate treatment retention.
1. Al-Omari, H. , Hamed, R. , Tariah, H. A. . "The role of religion in therecovery from alcohol and substance abuse among Jordanian adults" Journal of religion and health
54(4): 1268- 1277, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1007/s10943-014-9868-5
2. American Occupational Therapy Association"Occupational therapy practice framework: Domain and process (3rd ed.)" American Journal of Occupational Therapy
68(Suppl. 1): S1–S48, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.5014/ajot.2014.682006
4. Ball, S , Carroll, K. , Canning-Ball, M. , Rounsaville, B. . "Reasons for dropout from drug abuse treatment: Symptoms, personality, and motivation." Addictive Behaviors
31, 320-330., 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2005.05.013.
5. Barrowclough, C. , Haddock, G. , Tarrier, N. , Lewis, S. W. , Moring, J. , O’Brien, R. , McGovern, J. . "Randomized controlled trial of motivational interviewing, cognitive behavior therapy, and family intervention for patients with comorbid schizophrenia and substance use disorders" American Journal of Psychiatry
158(10): 1706-1713., 2001. Retrieved from: http://doi.10.1176/appi.ajp.158.10.1706
7. Begun, A. , Rose, S. , Lebel, T. . "Intervening with women in jail around alcohol and substance abuse during preparation for community reentry." Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly
29(4): 453–478, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi10.1080/07347324.2011.608333
8. Begun, A. L. , Early, T. J. , Hodge, A. . "Mental health and substance abuse service engagement by men and women during community reentry following incarceration" Administration and Policy in Mental Health andMental Health Services Research
43(2): 207-218, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s10488-015-0632-2
9. Butzin, C. , Martin, S. , Inciardi, J> . "Treatment during transition from prison to community and subsequent illicit drug use" Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment
28(4): 351–358, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2005.02.009
12. Choi, S. , Adams, S. , Morse, S. , MacMaster, S. . "Gender differences in treatment retention among individuals with co-occuring substance abuse and mental health disorders" Substance Use & Misuse
50(5): 653-663, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3109/10826084.2014.997828
17. Fleming, C. , White, H. , Oesterle, S. , Haggerty, K. , Catalano, R. . "Romantic relationship status changes and substance use among 18-to-20-year-olds" Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs
71(6): 847-856, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.15288/jsad.2010.71.847
18. Garrett, S. , Doyle, S. , Peavy, K. , Wells, E. , Owens, M. , Shores-Wilson, K. , Donovan, D. . "Age differences in outcomes among patients in the“stimulant abuser groups to engage in 12-step” (STAGE 12) intervention" .Journal of substance abuse treatment
84, 21-29, 2018. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2017.10.012
19. Gibson, R. , D’Amico, M. , Jaffe, L. , Arbesman, M. . "Occupational therapy interventions for recovery in the areas of community integration and normative life roles for adults with serious mental illness: A systematic review" The American Journal of Occupational Therapy
65(3): 247–256, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5014/ajot.2011.001297
20. Greenfield, S. , Hufford, M. , Vagge, L. , Muenz, L. , Costello, M. , Weiss, A. . "The relationship of self-efficacy expectancies to relapse among alcohol dependent men and women: A prospective study" Journal of Studies on Alcohol,
61(2): 345-51, 2000. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.15288/jsa.2000.61.345
21. Grommon, E , Davidson, W. , Bynum, T. . "A randomized trial of a multimodal community-based prisoner reentry program emphasizing substance abuse treatment" Journal of Offender Rehabilitation
52(4): 287-309, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/10509674.2013.782775
22. Heydari, A. , Dashtgard, A. , Moghadam, Z. E. . "The effect of Bandura's social cognitive theory implementation on addiction quitting of clients referred to addiction quitting clinics" Iranian journal of nursing and midwifery research
19(1): 19-23, 2014. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3917180/
23. Hiller, M. L. , Knight, K. , Leukefeld, C. , Simpson, D. D. . "Motivation as a predictor of therapeutic engagement in mandated residential substance abuse treatment" Criminal Justice and Behavior
29(1): 56-75, 2002. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/0093854802029001004
24. Ilgen, M. , McKellar, J. , Tiet, Q. . "Abstinence self-efficacy and abstinence 1 Year after substance use disorder treatment" Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
73(6): 1175–1180, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037/0022-006X.73.6.1175
25. Jacob, K. S. . "Recovery model of mental illness: A complementaryapproach to psychiatric care" Indian journal of psychological medicine
37(2): 117-119, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4103/0253-71-76.155605
26. Kadden, R. , Litt, M. . "The role of self-efficacy in the treatment of substance use disorders" Addictive Behaviors
36(12): 1120–1126, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2011.07.032
27. Kennedy, A. , Epstein, D. , Phillips, K. , Preston, K. . "Sex differences in cocaine/heroin users: Drug-use triggers and craving in daily life" Drug and Alcohol Dependence
132(1-2): 29-37, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2012.12.025
28. Köpetz, C. , Lejuez, C. , Wiers, R. , Kruglanski, A. . "Motivation and self regulation in addiction: A call for convergence" Perspectives on Psychological Science
8(1): 3-24., 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/1745691612457575
29. Kuerbis, A. , Sacco, P. , Blazer, D. G. , Moore, A. A. . "Substance abuse among older adults" Clinics in geriatric medicine
30(3): 629-654, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.cger.2014.04.008
30. Lanza, P. , Garcia,, P. , Lamelas, F. , Gonzalez-Menendez, A. . "Acceptance and commitment therapy versus cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of substance use disorder with incarcerated women" Journal of Clinical Psychology
70(7): 644-657, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1002/jclp.22060.
33. McColl, M. , Davies, D. , Carlson, P. , Johnston, J. , Minnes, P. . "The community integration measure: Development and preliminary validation" Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
82(4): 429-434, 2001. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1053/apmr.2001.22195
36. McPherson, C. , Boyne, H. , Waseem, R. . "Understanding the factors that impact relapse post-residential addiction treatment, a six month follow-up from a Canadian treatment center" Journal of Alcoholism & Drug Dependence
5(3): 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4172/2329-6488.1000268
38. Mezuk, B. , Ratliff, S. , Concha, J. , Abdou, C. , Rafferty, J. , Lee, H. , Jackson, J. . "Stress, self-regulation, and context: Evidence from the health andretirement survey" SSM – Population Health
3, 455-463, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.ssmph.2017.05.004
39. Moll, S. E. , Gewurtz, R. E. , Krupa, T. M. , Law, M. C. , Lariviere, N. , Levasseur, M. . "“Do-Live-Well”: A Canadian framework for promoting occupation, health, and well-being" Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy
82, 9-23, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/0008417414545981
40. Moos, R.H. , Moos, B.S. . "Rates and predictors of relapse after natural and treated remission from alcohol use disorders" Addiction
101(2): 212–222, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2006.01310.x
41. Moos, R. , Finney, J. , Ouimette, P. , Suchinsky, R. . "A comparative evaluation of substance abuse treatment: I. treatment orientation, amount of care, and 1-year outcomes" Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
23(3): 529-536, 1999. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10195829
46. Narain, N. , Liu, W. N. , Mahmood, Z. , Duncan, A. . "Women’s perspectives related to occupational performance following participation in substance use recovery programs" Occupational Therapy in Mental Health
34(1): 61-74, 2018. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/0164212X.2017.1395309.
48. Pelissier, B. . "Gender differences in substance use treatment entry and retention among prisoners with substance use histories" American Journal of Public Health
94(8): 1418-1424, 2004. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.2105/AJPH.94.8.1418
49. Pelissier, B. , Jones, N. . "Differences in motivation, coping style, and self efficacy among incarcerated male and female drug users" Journal of substance abuse treatment
30(2): 113-120, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2005.10.006
50. Piehler, T. F. , Véronneau, M.-H. , Dishion, T. J. . "Substance use progression from adolescence to early adulthood: Effortful control in the context of friendship influence and early-onset use" Journal of Abnorma lChild Psychology
40(7): 1045-1058, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s10802-012-9626-7.
51. Proctor, S.L. , Herschmann, P.L. . "The continuing care model ofsubstance use treatment: What work, and when is “enough”, “enough?”" Psychiatry journal
, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1155/2014/692423
52. Sadock, B. J. , Sadock, V. A. , Ruiz, P. . Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry, (11th ed) Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer, 2015.
53. Scaffa, M. , Reitz, S. , Chromiak, B. . Promoting mental health and emotional wellbeing. Occupational therapy in the promotion of health and wellness Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company, 2010. 329-349.
54. Silverman, M. . "Effects of music therapy on drug avoidance self-efficacy inpatients on a detoxification unit" Journal of Addictions Nursing
25(4): 172-181, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/JAN.0000000000000047.
55. Smith, D. C. , Cleeland, L. , Dennis, M. L. . "Reasons for quitting among emerging adults and adolescents in substance-use-disorder treatment" Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs
71(3): 400-409, 2009. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20409434
57. Substance abuse and mental health services administration(). The TEDS report: Gender differences in primary substance of abuse across age groups. . Retrieved February 14, 2018, from: http://https://www.samhsa.gov.
58. Sussman, S. , Reynaud, M. , Aubin, H. J. , Leventhal, A. M. . "Drug addiction, love, and the higher power" Evaluation & the health professions
34(3): 362-370, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/0163278711401002
59. Tak, Y. R. , Brunwasser, S. M. , Lichtwarck-Aschoff, A. , Engels, R. C. . "The prospective associations between self-efficacy and depressive symptoms from early to middle adolescence: A cross-lagged model" Journal of Youth and Adolescence
46(4): 744-756, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s10964-016-0614-z.
63. Urbanoski, K. A. , Kelly, J. F. , Hoeppner, B. B. , Slaymaker, V. . "The role of therapeutic alliance in substance use disorder treatment for young adults" Journal of substance abuse treatment
43(3): 344-351, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2011.12.013
65. Walitzer, K.S. , Dearing, R.L. . "Gender differences in alcohol and substance use relapse" Clinical Psychology Review
26(2): 128–148, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.cpr.2005.11.003
66. Walton, M. , Blow, F. , Bingham, R. , Chermack, S. . "Individual and social/environmental predictors of alcohol and drug use 2 years following substance abuse treatment" Addictive Behaviors
28(4): 627-642, 2003. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/S0306-4603(01)00284-2