Johanna Mae F. Gayod,
Jaika Monique M. Gonzales,
Amypiel L. Retiracion,
Ritchie A. Suba-an
This study aimed to determine the association between contact lens care regimen and ocular complications among senior high school students of Cebu Doctors' University academic year 2018-2019. The respondents of the study were 114 senior high school students of Cebu Doctors' University who were contact lens wearers. The study used a descriptive correlation survey research study design. A modified questionnaire based from the study of Abahussin and AlAnazi was used to assess their contact lens care regimen and the presence of ocular complications were checked using slit-lamp biomicroscope, sodium fluorescein strip and Schirmer strip. Frequency and percentage distribution and Cramer's V coefficient were used to analyze the data and processed using IBM SPSS Version 22.
The results of the study showed that 94 (82.5%) always washed their hands before CL wear, before CL removal (84 or 73.7%), 106 (93.0%) did not share their contact lenses with their friends and 76 (66.7%) always changed their contact lens solution daily. Rub and rinse multipurpose solutions were used to clean (84 or 73.7%), rinse (95 or 83.3%) and disinfect (101 or 88.6%) their contact lens. Fifty four (47.4%) always cleaned their lens case, however, 65 (57.0%) did not know as to the frequency of lens case replacement. Sixty five (57.0%) wore their contact lenses less than 8 hours a day, 84 (73.7%) did not sleep with their contact lens and 68 (59.6%) used monthly disposable. Thirty three (28.9%) visited their optometrist or ophthalmologist yearly and after 6 months for an aftercare examination. The most common ocular complications were dry eye (99 or 86.8%), superficial corneal neovascularization (38 or 33.3%), meibomian gland dysfunction (14 or 12.3%), giant papillary conjunctivitis (9 or 7.9%), limbal redness (6 or 5.3%), conjunctival staining, conjunctival redness (1 or 0.9%) and mucin balls (1 or 0.9%). Contact lens care regimen and ocular complications are associated with the following, replacing contact lens case was moderately associated with mucin balls (V = .342) with replacement of case every 6 months. Conjunctiva redness was also moderately associated with replacing case yearly (V = .342) and with those who sometimes sleep with CL in a week (V = .321). Conjunctiva staining was also moderately associated with rarely washing hands before removing contact lens (V = .704). Having no rub and rinse solution was associated with GPC (V = .310).
Based on the findings, conjunctival redness is associated with frequency of replacing case yearly and frequency of sleeping with contact lens in a week. Conjunctival staining is associated with frequency of hand washing before removing the contact lens. Giant papillary conjunctivitis is associated with the type of contact lens solution. Mucin balls was associated with the frequency of contact lens case replacement. Thus, a proposed online information dissemination was recommended. The researchers recommended that the senior high school students, their family and the public should be educated on the proper contact lens care regimen and the possible complications brought about by non-compliance. The optometrists, optometry students and optical clinics, and the Department of Health should be dynamic in educating the public regarding contact lenses. It is further recommended that a similar study should be conducted in a different university or school, working environment, different age group and in a larger population; inclusion in the research tool the symptoms and other factors such as lifestyle that would contribute to ocular complications; Visual Acuity testing to determine whether ocular complication affects the visual acuity.
1. Abahussin, M. , AlAnazi, M. , Ogbuehi, K. C. , Osuagwu, U. L. . "Prevalence, use and sale contact lenses in Saudi Arabia: Survey on university women and non-ophthalmic stores" Contact Lens and Anterior Eye
37, 185-190, 2014. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2013.10.001
2. Abdelkader, A. . "Cosmetic soft contact lens associated ulcerative Keratitis in Southern Saudi Arabia" Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology
21(3): 232-235, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4103/0974-9233.134677
3. Asiedu, K. , Kyei, S. , Dzasimatu, S. K. , Morny, E. K. A. . "Meibomian Gland Dysfunction in a Youthful Clinical Sample in Ghana" American Academy of Optometry
95(4): 2018. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/OPX0000000000001192
4. Bamahfouz, A. Y. , Nafady-Hego, H. , Jouhargy, S. , Qadir, M. A. , Qutub, W. N. J. , Bahubaishi, K. M. , Al-ghamdi, A. A. . (). Awareness of contact lens among college students in Saudi Arabia. . Retrieved from: http://doi. 10.17354/ijss/2016/195
5. Businger, U. . Mechanical complications of contact lens wear. Clinical contact lens practice Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005. 763-768.
7. Collins, M.J. , Carney, L.G. . "Patient compliance and its influence on contact lens wearing problems" American Journal of Optometry & Physiological Optics
63(12): 952-956., 1986. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/00006324-198612000-00004
8. Cope, J. R. , Collier, S. A. , Rao, M. M. , Chalmers, R. , Mitchell, G. L. , Richdale, K. , Beach, M. J. . "Contact lens wearer demographics and risk behaviors for contact lens-related eye infections – United States, 2014" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
64(32): 865-870, 2015. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5779588/
9. Dumbleton, K. A. , Woods, C. A. , Jones, L. W. , Fonn, D. . "The relationship between compliance with lens replacement and contact lens-related problems in silicone hydrogel wearers" Contact Lens & Anterior Eye
34(5): 216-222, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.clae.2011.03.001
10. Efron, N. . Contact lenses A-Z. Oxford: Elsevier Science Ltd., 2002.
11. Efron, N. . Contact lens complications (2nd ed.) United Kingdom: Butterworth-Elsevier Limited., 2004.
14. Forister, J. F. , Forister, E. F. , Yeung, K. K. , Ye, P. , Chung, M. Y. , Tsui, A. , Weissman, B. A. . "Prevalence of contact lens-related complications: UCLA contact lens study" Eye & Contact Lens
35(4): 176-180, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/ICL.0b013e3181a7bda1.
15. Gaiser, H. , Ho, C. , Janier, N. , Wee, A. , Johnson, C. , Watanabe, R. . "Practitioner perceptions of patients wearing decorative contact lenses purchased through unauthorized Sellers" Eye & Contact Lens
43(2): 135-139, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/ICL.0000000000000240
16. Gasson, A. , Morris, J. . The contact lens manual: A practical fitting guide London, UK:: Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd., 1995.
17. Gasson, A. , Morris, J. . The contact lens manual: A practical guide to fitting London: Elsevier Ltd., 2010.
18. Graham, R. . Historical Development. Contact lens practice: Basic and advanced Springfield: Charles C. Thomas Publisher, 1968. 3-14.
19. Gyawali, R. , Mohamed, F. N. , Bist, J. , Marasini, S. , Khadka, J. . "Compliance and hygiene behaviour among soft contact lens wearers in Maldives" Clinical and Experimental Optometry
97(1): 43-47, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1111/cxo.12069
20. Jansen, M. E. , Chalmers, R. , Mitchell, G. L. , Kinoshita, B. T. , Lam, D. Y. , McMahon, T. T. , Wagner, H. . "Characterization of patients who report compliant and non-compliant overnight wear of soft contact lenses" Contact Lens & Anterior Eye
3(4): 229-235, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.clae.2011.01.001
21. Janti, S. , Charanya, C. , Raja, A. M. , Matheen, A. , Pandurangan, R. . "Knowledge, attitude, and practice of contact lens users among medical college students in Tamil Nadu" International Journal of Scientific Study
2(6): 20-23, 2014. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ijss-sn.com/uploads/2/0/1/5/20153321/ijss_sep_oa05_-_2014.pdf
22. Jones, L.W. , Jones, D.A. . Slit lamp biomicroscopy. The Cornea: Its examination in contact lens practice 225 Wildhood Avenue: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001. 1-49.
25. Lowther, G.E. , Snyder, C. . Contact lenses: Procedures and techniques (2nd ed.) Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1992.
27. McMonnies, C. , Lowe, R. . After-care. Contact lenses (5th ed.) Edinbrugh: Butterworth Heinemann, 2007. 375-407.
28. Nichols, J.J. , Sinnott, L.T. . "Tear Film, Contact Lens, and Patient-Related Factors Associated with Contact-Lens Related Dry Eye" Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science
47(4): 1319-1328, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1167/iovs.05-1392
29. Noushad, B. , Saoji, Y. , Bhakat, P. , Thomas, J. . "Contact Lens compliance among a group of young, university-based lens users in South India" Australasian Medical Journal
5(3): 168-174, 2012. Retrieved from: http://http//dx.doi.org/10.4066/AMJ.2012.1049
30. Ocansey, S. , Ogbomo, G. O. , Abu, E. K. , Morny, E. K. A. , Adjei-Boye, O. . "Profile, knowledge, and attitude of contact lens users regarding contact lens wear in Ghana" Contact Lens and Anterior Eye
42(2): 172-177, 2018. Retrieved from: http://doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2018.10.012
31. Papas, E.B. . Corneal vascularization. Clinical contact lens practice Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005. 723-725.
33. Stein, H. A. , Slatt, B. J. , Stein, R. M. , Freeman, M. . Fitting Guide for Rigid and Soft Contact Lenses: A Practical Approach (4th ed.) St. Louise: Mosby, 2002.
34. Steinemann, T. L. , Fletcher, M. , Bonny, A. E. , Harvey, R. A. , Hamlin, D. , Peter, M. D. , Gagnon, M. . "Over-the-counter decorative contact lenses: Cosmetic or medical devices? A case series" Eye & Contact Lens
31(5): 194-200, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/01.icl.0000175654.79591.03
35. Szczotka, L.B. , Efron, N. . Aftercare. Contact lens practice Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 2002.
36. Tan, J. , Keay, L. , Jalbert, I. , Naduvilath, T. J. , Sweeney, D. F. , Holden, B. A. . "Mucin balls with wear of conventional and silicone hydrogel contact lenses" Optometry and Vision Science
80(4): 291-297, 2003. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/00006324-200304000-00006
37. Vijay, K.C. , Yousef, D. . "Importance of compliance in contact lens wear – A study to assess the knowledge and practices among contact lens users for a healthy vision" International Journal of Current Research and Review
5(8): 104-109, 2013. Retrieved from: http://https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262188027
38. Wu, Y. , Carnt, N. , Stapleton, F. . "Contact lens user profile, attitudes and level of compliance to lens care" Contact Lens & Anterior Eye
33(4): 183-188, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.clae.2010.02.002
39. Wu, Y. T. , Teng, Y. J. , Nicholas, M. , Harmis, N. , Zhu, H. , Stapleton, M. D. P. , Stapleton, F. . "Impact of lens case hygiene guidelines on contact lens case contamination" Optometry and Vision Science
88(10): 1180-1187, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/OPX.0b013e3182282f28
40. Wu, Y. T. , Willcox, M. , Zhu, H. , Staplenton, F. . "Contact lens hygiene compliance and lens case contamination: A review." Contact Lens & Anterior Eye
38(5): 307-316, 2015. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2015.04.007
41. Yeung, K.K. , Weissman, B.A. . Clinical Management of Immunologic Complications. Clinical contact lens practice Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005. 745-750.
42. Zhu, H. , Bandara, M. B. , Vijay, A. K. , Masoudi, S. , Wu, D. , Willcox, M. D. P. . "Importance of rub and rinse in use of multipurpose contact lens solution" Optometry and Vision Science
88(8): 967-972, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/OPX.0b013e31821bf976