Joseph Christian Y. Chua,
Alexandra Shanelle E. Gochan,
Therese C. Labares,
Jana A. Misa,
Erecca May M. Pateña,
Armand K. Cuasito
A descriptive-correlational study was conducted to determine the relationship between awareness and preventive practices on Pediatric Community-Acquired Pneumonia (PCAP) among primary caregivers of children ages 5 and below in Barangay Tipolo, Mandaue City. Simple random sampling was used to obtain 121 respondents from the list of registered mothers in Barangay Tipolo. A modified questionnaire based on the Knowledge and Perception on Pneumonia (Siswanto, 2016) was made and used for the study. First part of the questionnaire obtained the demographic data, followed by 20-item questions for awareness and the last 20-item questions to measure preventive practices against PCAP. Data were collected in July 2018 and was processed using IBM SPSS version 22.
Most of the respondents were young adults (n=94, 78%), attained high school level (n=69, 57%) and were related to the 1st degree to the child (n=92, 76%). In terms of awareness, 28 (23%) have moderate awareness while 93 (77%) have high awareness to PCAP. Among the respondents, 14 (12%) moderately practiced and 107 (88%) highly practiced preventive measures against PCAP. Using Spearman correlation, statistics revealed that awareness to PCAP has a significant relationship) to degree of preventive practices against PCAP (r=0.558, p<0.001). Both higher preventive practices as well as awareness are associated with higher age and educational status.
There was a significant relationship between awareness to PCAP and the preventive practices done by caregivers of children 5 and below in Barangay Tipolo, Mandaue City. An information dissemination campaign to enhance the respondents' awareness and preventive practices of Pediatric Community-Acquired Pneumonia was implemented in the form of seminar and pamphlets.
1. Abbey, M. , Chinbuah, M. , Gyapong, M. , Bartholomew, L. , van denBorne, B. . "Community perception and practices of treatment seeking for childhood pneumonia: A mixed methods study in a ruraldistrict, Ghana" BMC Public Health
16(1): 848, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/ s12889-016-3513-z
2. Al-Ruzaihan, S. A. , Al-Ghanim, A. A. , Bu-Haimed, B. M. , Al-Rowished, F. H. , Al-Rajeh, H. K. , Al-Subaiee, W. R. , Badger-Emeka, L. I. . "Effect of maternal occupation on breastfeeding among females in Al-Hassa, southeastern region of KSA" Journal of Taibah UniversityMedical Sciences
12(3): 235-240, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.jtumed.2016.08.013
4. Aminrad, Z. , Zakaria, S. Z. , Hadi, A. S. . "Influence of age and level of education on environmental awareness and attitude: Case study on Iranian students in Malaysian Universities" Social Sciences
6(1): 15-19, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3923/sscience.2011.15.19
18. Engle, P. . "The role of caring practices and resources for care inchild survival, growth, and development: South and Southeast Asia" Asian Development Review
17(2): 132-167, 1999. Retrieved from: http://hdl.handle.net/11540/5390
20. Farhad, J. , Malihe, A. , Fatemeh, A. , Mahmood, S. . "The knowledge, attitude and practice of mothers regarding acute respiratory tract infection in children" Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia
11(1): 343-348, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.13005/bbra/1279
21. Ferdous, F. , Farzana, F. D. , Ahmed, S. , Das, S. K. , Malek, M. A. , Das, J. , Chisti, M. J. . "Mother’s perception and healthcare seeking behavior of pneumonia children in rural Bangladesh" ISRN Family Medicine,
2014, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5402/2014/690315
22. Ferguson, H. B. , Bovaird, S. , Mueller, M. P. . "The impact ofpoverty on educational outcomes for children" . Paediatrics & childhealth
12(8): 701-706, 2007. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1093/pch/12.8.701.
23. File, T. M. Jr. , Marie, T. J. . "Burden of community-acquired pneumonia in North American Adults" Postgraduate Medicine
122(2): 130-141, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3810/pgm.2010.03.2130
28. Hahn, R. A. , Truman, B. I. . "Education improves public health and promotes health equity" International Journal of Health Services
45(4): 657-678, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/0020731415585986
32. Kreps, G. L. . "Applying Weick’s model of organizing to health care and health promotion: Highlighting the central role of health communication" Patient Education and Counseling
74(3): 347-355, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j/pec/2008.12.002.
33. Lamberti, L. M. , Zakarija-Grković, I , Fischer Walker,, C. L. , Theodoratou, E. , Nair, H. , Campbell, H. , Black, R. E. . "Breastfeeding for reducing the risk of pneumonia morbidity and mortality in children under two: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis" BMCPublic Health
13(Suppl 3): S18, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1186/1471-2458-13-s3-s18
34. Lehmann, D. , Heywood, P. . "Effect of birth weight on pneumonia specific and total mortality among infants in the highlands of Papua New Guinea" Papua New Guinea Medical Journal
39(4): 274-283, 1996. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10214086
35. Maceda, E. C. , Adolfo, N. R. , Alberto, J. L. , Bido, R. M. , Cabahug, V. L. , del Rio, M. T. , Tapia, M. K. . Level of awareness andpractice of medical handwashing in the prevention of Influenza A(H1N1) virus among selected level II nursing students of CebuDoctors’ University: Basis for information dissemination on thecompliance of medical handwashing practice in. Cebu Doctors’ University, Mandaue City.. 2010.
38. Mutalik, A. V. , Raje, , V. V., . "Study to assess the knowledge,attitude, and practice about acute respiratory infections among school going children and their parents in rural Maharashtra" International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health
6(11): 1584-1587, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5455/ijmsph.2017.0721414092017
40. Ndu, I. K. , Ekwochi, U. , Osuorah, C. , Onah, K. S. , Obuoha, E. , Odetunde, O. , Ogechukwu, A. . "Danger signs of childhood pneumonia:Caregiver awareness and care seeking behavior in a developing country" International Journal of Pediatrics
, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1155/2015/167261
43. Pillitteri, A. . Maternal & child health nursing: Care of the childbearing & childrearing family (6th ed.) Philadelphia, PA: :Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010. 803-804.
44. Pradhan, S. M. , Rao, A. P. , Pattanshetty, S. M. , Nilima, A. R. . ".Knowledge and perception regarding childhood pneumonia among mothers of under-five children in rural areas of Udupi Taluk,Karnataka: A cross-sectional study" Indian Journal of Health Sciences and Biomedical Research kleu
9(1): 35-39, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4103/2349-5006.183690
47. Rondini, S. , Krugu, J. K. . "Knowledge, attitude and practices study on reproductive health among secondary school students in Bolgatanga, Upper East Region, Ghana" African Journal of Reproductive Health
13(4): 51-66, 2009. Retrieved from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/27802622
48. Rossiter, M. D. , Evers, S. E. . "Infant feeding practices and children’s weight status" Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research
74(3): 107-113, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3148/74.3.2013.107
49. Round table on Population Health Improvement, Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice, & Institute of Medicine(). Exploring opportunities for collaboration between health and education to improve population health: Workshop summary. . Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK316096
55. Sudha, N. , Padmakala, S. . "Health practices of high school student in Kanyakumari district." International Journal of Research -Granthaalayah
5(3): SE, 33-39, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.5281/zenodo.545963
57. Tamir, D. , Weinstein, R. , Dayan, I. , Haviv, A. , Kalusky, D. N. . "Health knowledge, attitudes, and practice (KAP)--a basis for health promotion policy in Israel" Public Health Reviews
29(2-4): 145-151, . Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12418704
58. Tuhebwe, D. , Tumushabe, E. , Leontsini, E. , Wanyenze, R. . "Pneumonia among children under five in Uganda: Symptom recognition and actions taken by caretakers" African Health Sciences
14(4): 993-1000, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4314/ahs.v14i4.31.
64. Vaterlaus, J. M. , Patten, E. V. , Roche, C. , Young, J. A. . "#Getting healthy: The perceived influence of social media on young adult health behaviors" Computers in Human Behavior
45(2015): 151-157, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2014.12.013
72. Wilson, D. , Hockenberry, M. J. . Wong’s clinical manual of pediatric nursing (8th ed) Missouri: Elsevier Mosby, 2012.