Nikki G. De Castro,
Roselle Anne V. Tigley,
Obed Joseph S. Villahermosa,
Chique Dorothy C. Yap,
Gia C. Yeo,
Nina Marie A. Seno
This study utilized a descriptive-correlation design to determine the level of knowledge and compliance to Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) among the respondents. Two hundred mothers with children registered under the EPI of Barangay Santa Cruz, Cebu City were part in the study. The Modified Immunization KP (Knowledge Practices) Questionnaire was used to measure the knowledge of the participants about EPI vaccination. A checklist was also made based from the mothers' Immunization Record to determine compliance to EPI. Data were processed using IBM SPSS version 22.
Majority number of the respondents attained high school level (n=75, 37.5%), were unemployed (n=127, 63.5%) and had up to three children (n=162, 81%). Findings revealed that 161 (80.5%) of the respondents were less knowledgeable on EPI and 156 (78%) were non-compliant to the program. Phi Coefficient showed a strong positive association (θ=0.896) between the level of knowledge on EPI and compliance to the program. Higher level of knowledge and better compliance to EPI is associated with higher educational status, employment and more children. The majority number of respondents who had an educational attainment at the elementary, high school, vocational and post-graduate were all less knowledgeable (100%). An educational attainment of college had both less knowledgeable and highly knowledgeable respondents, with the majority number of the respondents being highly knowledgeable (66.1%). For the employment status, the respondents who were unemployed were all less knowledgeable (100%). The majority number of the employed respondents were highly knowledgeable (53.4%). For parity, the majority number of the respondents that have one to three children were less knowledgeable (93.8%). The majority number of the respondents with more than three children were highly knowledgeable (76.3%). Majority number of the respondents who had an educational attainment at the elementary, high school, vocational and post-graduate were all non-compliant (100%). The educational attainment of the college had noncompliant and compliant respondents; with the majority number of the respondents being compliant (74.6%). For the employment status, the respondents who were unemployed were all non-compliant (100%). The majority number of the respondents that were employed were compliant (60.3%). For parity, the majority number of the respondents that have one to three children were non-compliant (93.2%). The majority number of the respondents with more than three children were compliant (86.8%).
The study presented a strong positive relationship between knowledge and compliance to the EPI program. The researchers conducted an information dissemination campaign to create awareness about the immunization program in the community through printed materials such as pamphlets.
3. Adenike, O. B. , Adejumoke, J. , Olufunmi, O. , Ridwan, O. . "Maternal characteristics and immunization status of children in North Central of Nigeria" Pan African Medical Journal
26(159): 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.11604/pamj.2017.26.159.11530
4. Al-lela, O. Q. , Bahari, M. B. , Al-Qazaz, H. K. , Salih, M. , Jamshed, S. , Elkalmi, R. . "Are parents’ knowledge and practice regarding immunization related to pediatrics’ immunization compliance? a mixed method study" BMC Pediatrics
14(20): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/1471-2431-14-20
5. Al-lela, O. Q. , Bahari, M. B. , Baderden, S. K. , Basher, A. Y. , Hamoodi, H. K. . "Factors affecting on immunization compliance: Iraq" Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Community Medicine
3(4): 246-253, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5530/jppcm.2017.4.67
7. Angadi, M. , Jose, A. , Udgiri, R. , Masali, K. , Sorganvi, V. . "A study of knowledge, attitude and practices on immunization of children inurban slums of Bijapur City, Karnataka, India" Journal of Clinical &Diagnostic Research
7(12): 2803-2806, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.7860/JCDR/2013/6565.3763
9. Awadh, A. I. , Hassali, M. A. , Al-lela, O. Q. , Bux, S. H. , Elkalmi, R. M. , Hadi, H. . "Does an educational intervention improve parents’ knowledge about immunization? Experience from Malaysia" BMC Pediatrics
14(254): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/1471-2431-14-254.
11. Baghel, P.S. , Bezboruah, G. , Das, I. , Bhunia, N.S. . "A study to assess immunization status in 12-23 months children coming to pediatrics OPD of Gmch" IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences
15(8): 16-20, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.9790/0853-1508111620
12. Bhattacharya, L. K. , Gerbie, M. , Tan, T. Q. . "Knowledge and utilization of recommended preventive vaccines among young adults" Journal of Vaccines & Vaccination
4(179): 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4172/2157-7560.1000179
14. Caingles, S. E. , Lobo, J. J. . "Survey on the knowledge, attitudes and practices of parents in Barangay 8A, District 1, Davao City regarding their children’s immunization" Pediatric Infectious Disease Society of the Philippines Journal
12(1): 46-52, 2011. Retrieved from: http://ww.w.pidsphil.org/pdf/Journal_06302011/jo38_ja06.pdf
18. Chris-Otubor, G.O. , Dangiwa, D.A. , Ior, L. D. , Anukam, N.C. . ".Assessment of knowledge, attitudes and practices of mothers in Jos North regarding immunization" IOSR Journal of Pharmacy
5(6): 34-45, 2015. Retrieved from: http://iosrphr.org/papers/v5i6/H0506034045.pdf
19. Cuevas, F.P. , Reyala, J. , Cruz-Earnshaw, R. , Bonito, S. , Sitioco, J. , Serafica, L. . Public health nursing in the Philippines Manila: National League of Philippine Government Nurses,Incorporated, 2007.
20. da Silva, Lima E.J., Caminha, M. , da Silva, A.T. , Rodriguez Filho, E. , dos Santos, C. . "Compliance with the vaccination schedule in children hospitalized with pneumonia and associated factors" Revista de Saude Publica
52(38): 2018. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.11606/s1518-8787.2018052006888.
26. Feinstein, L. , Sabates, R. , Anderson, T. , Sorhaindo, A. , Hammond, C. . "What are the effects of education on health?" Proceedings of the Copenhagen Symposium, 2006. . Retrieved from: http://www.oecd.org/education/innovation-education/37437718.pdf
31. Holipah, H. , Maharani, A. , Kuroda, Y. . "Determinants of immunization status among 12- to 23-month-old children in Indonesia (2008-2013): a multilevel analysis." BMC Public Health
18(1): 288, 2018. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/s12889-018-5193-3.
33. Kahisay, M.H. , Fenta, T.G. , Boon, H. . "Beliefs and perception of ill-health causation: A socio-cultural qualitative study in rural North-Eastern Ethiopia" BMC Public Health
17(1): 124, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1186/s12889-017-4052-y.
34. Minh An, D.T. , Lee, J.K. , Van Minh,, H. , Trang, N.T.H. , Thu Huong,, N.T. , Nam, Y.S. , Van Dung, D. . "Timely immunization completion among children in Vietnam from 2000 to 2011: A multilevel analysis of individual and contextual factors" Global Health Action
29(9): 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3402/gha.v9.29189
40. Patel, T. , Pandit , N. . "Why infants miss vaccination during routine immunization sessions? Study in a rural area of Anand District,Gujarat" Indian Journal of Public Health
55(4): 321-323, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4103/0019-557X.92417
41. Paul, C.L. , Redman, S. , Sanson-Fisher, W. . "Print material content and design: Is it relevant to effectiveness?" Health Education Research
18(2): 2003. Retrieved from: http://doi.org/10.1093/her/18.2.181
46. Vonasek, B. , Bajunirwe, F. , Jacobson, L. , Twesigye, L. , Dahm, J. , Grant, M. , Conway, J. . "Do maternal knowledge and attitudes towards childhood immunizations in rural Uganda correlate with complete childhood vaccination?" PLoS ONE
11(2): 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0150131