Naomi Q. Larino,
Maria Elen C. Marcojos
The study aimed to determine the level of self-esteem and type of perfectionism and their influence on the level of career indecision among 285 first year Rehabilitative Sciences students of Cebu Doctors' University. The study utilized the descriptive correlational survey method. Three (3) instruments were used to measure the variables namely, Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale by Dr. Morris Rosenberg, Frost Multidimensional Perfectionism Scale by Randy O. Frost, Patricia Martin, Cathleen Lahart, and Robin Rosenblate, and Career Decision-Making Difficulties Questionnaire by Itamar Gati, Mina Krausz, and Samuel H. Osipow.
The findings of the study showed that out of the 285 respondents, 79% had moderate levels of self-esteem, 98% were considered non-perfectionists, and 68% of the respondents had moderate levels of career indecision. Furthermore, the computed Chi-Square (X2 = 5.021) proved that a relationship exists between the respondents' level of self-esteem and type of perfectionism. Results also showed that self-esteem and "Organization" (FMPS Subscale) were negatively correlated to career indecision (self-esteem: b= -0.80, p<0.05; organization: b= -0.049, p<0.05), while "Doubt over Actions" (FMPS Subscale) was positively correlated to career indecision (b= 1.90, p<0.05). It was implied that self-esteem and "Organization" had a significant negative influence on the level of career indecision among the respondents while "Doubt over Actions" positively influenced it.
Based on the findings, the following conclusions were made: Majority of the respondents had moderate levels of self-esteem and career indecision while non-perfectionists were found to predominate among the respondents. Furthermore, a relationship was established between the level of self-esteem and type of perfectionism among the respondents. Lastly, self-esteem and the FMPS subscale "Organization" had a negative influence on the level of career indecision among the respondents while the FMPS subscale "Doubt over Actions" had a positive influence over it. From these conclusions, the researcher recommended that the respondents should be encouraged to join organizations to increase their strengths and capabilities while their parents should be advised to nurture positive attitudes about the respondents' self and school performance while providing proper guidance and support regarding career choices the respondents make. It was also recommended that the school's guidance counselors could develop programs that would help raise self-esteem levels and self-awareness among the respondents. The researcher also proposed an intervention program targeting the respondents' self-esteem, motivation, and future career plans.
3. Basak, R. , Ghosh, A. . "Ego-identity status and its relationship with self-esteem in a group of late adolescents" Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology
34 (2): 337-344, 2008. Retrieved from: http://medind.nic.in/jak/t08/i2/jakt08i2p337.pdf
4. Berk, L. E. . Child Development. (6th Ed.) Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 2003.
5. Brown, D. , Brooks, L. . Career Counseling Techniques Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1991.
8. Chang, Yuhsuan . Examining the relationships among dysfunctional beliefs, career anxiety, coping styles and career indecision using a cognitive behavioral theory approach.. 2007. Purdue University, . Retrieved from: http://gradworks.umi.com/32/91/3291146.html
9. Chartrand, J. M. , Rose, M. L. , Elliott, T. R. , Marmarosh, C. , Caldwell, S. . "Peeling back the onion: personality, problem solving, and career decision-making style correlates of career indecision." Journal of Career Assessment
1 (1): 66-82, 1993. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/106907279300100107
11. Chufar, B. M. , Pettijohn II, T. F. . "Meeting high standards: the effect of perfectionism on task performance, self-esteem, and self-efficacy in college students." Psychology and Behavioral Sciences
2(3): 117-123, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.11648/j.pbs.20130203.16
12. Corcoran , K. , Fischer, J. . Measures for Clinical Practice: A Sourcebook. (3rd Ed.). New York: The Free Press, 2000.
13. Creed, P. , Patton, W. A. , Prideaux, L. . "Causal relationship between career indecision and career decision-making self-efficacy: a longitudinal cross-lagged analysis" Journal of Career Development
33(1): 47-65, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0894845306289535
15. Datu, J. A. D. . "Perfectionism and career decidedness of Filipino college Students" International Journal of Research Studies in Education
2 (4): 3-12, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5861/ijrse.2013.493
17. De la Rosa, R. L. G. , Montefalcon, A. E. . Perceived parental bonding differences on the level of self-esteem among the selected college students of Cebu Doctors. Philippines. 2013. Cebu Doctors’ University,
18. Esters, L. T. . "Career indecision levels of students enrolled in a college of agriculture and life sciences" Journal of Agricultural Education
48 (4): 130-141, 2007. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5032/jae.2007.04130
21. Frost, R. O. , Marten, P. , Lahart, C. , Rosenblate, R. . "The dimensions of perfectionism" Cognitive Therapy and Research
14 (5): 449-468, 1990. Retrieved from: http://Doi: 10.1007/BF01172967
22. Frost, R. O. , Heimberg, C. S. , Holt, C. S. , Mattia, J. I. , Neubauer, A. L. . " A comparison of two measures of perfectionism" Personality and Individual Differences
14, 119-126, 1993. Retrieved from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0191886993901812
24. Ghahramani, M. H. , Besharat, M. A. , Naghipour, B. . " An examination of the relationship between perfectionism and self-esteem in a sample of student athletes. " Procedia – Social and Behavioral Science
30, 1265-1271, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.10.245
25. Gotwals, J. K. , Stoeber, J. , Dunn, J. G. H. , Stoll, O. . "Are perfectionistic strivings in sport adaptive? A systematic review of confirmatory, contradictory, and mixed evidence." Canadian Psychology
53 (4): 263-279, 2012. Retrieved from: http://DOI: 10.1037/a0030288
26. Greenspon, T. S. . "Making sense of error: a view of the origins and treatment of perfectionism" American Journal of Psychotherapy
62(3): 263-282, 2008. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18846972
27. Guay, F. , Senecal, C. , Gauthier, L. , Fernet, C. . "Predicting career indecision: a self-determination theory perspective" Journal of Counseling Psychology
50 (2): 165-177, 2003. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
30. Larsen, R. J. , Buss, D M. . Personality Psychology: Domains of Knowledge about Human Nature. (3rd Ed.) Boston: McGraw Hill, 2008.
31. Leong, F. T. L. , Chervinko, S. . "Construct validity of career indecision: negative personality traits as predictors of career indecision" Journal of Career Assessment
4 (3): 315-329, 1996. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/106907279600400306
33. Mojgan, F. N. . "The relationship between state and trait anxiety with career indecision of undergraduate students" International Education Studies
4 (3): 31-35, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5539/ies.v4n3p31
34. Norida, A. , Tajudin, N. M. , Sahari, N. M. . "The relationship between self-esteem, job-search intensity and career decision making among final year students: an application of structural equation modelling" INTED2011 Proceedings, 2011. 5281-5289.. Retrieved from: http://library.iated.org/view/NORIDA2011THE
36. Öztemel, K. . " An investigation of career indecision level of high school students: relationships with personal indecisiveness and anxiety." Online Journal of Counseling and Education
2 (3): 46-58, 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.tojce.com/july2013/Oztemelhttp://%2046-58.pdf
37. Papalia, D. , Feldman , R. , Wendkos, O. . Human Development (11th Ed.) Boston: McGraw Hill,
39. Rosenberg, M. . Society and the Adolescent Self-Image Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 1989.
41. Schmitt, D. P. , Allik, J. . "Simultaneous administration of the Rosenberg self-esteem scale in 53 nations: exploring the universal and culture-specific features of global self-esteem" Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
89 (4): 623-642, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113
46. Stoeber, J. , Otto, K. . "Positive conceptions of perfectionism: Approaches, evidence, challenges" Personality and Social Psychology Review
10, 295-319, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1207/s15327957pspr1004_2
47. Talib, M. A. , Aun, T. K. . " Predictors of career indecision among Malaysian undergraduate college students" European Journal of Social Sciences
8 (2): 215-224, 2009. Retrieved from: http://psasir.upm.edu.my/7024/1/ejss_8_2_02.pdf
49. Tongco, L. J. . The relationship among depressive symptoms, perfectionism, and self-esteem among students. Philippines. 2010. Ateneo de Manila University,
51. Walker, J. V. , Peterson, G. W. . "Career Thoughts, Indecision, and Depression: Implications for Mental Health Assessment in Career Counseling" Journal of Career Assessment
20 (4): 497-506, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/1069072712450010
52. Wang, K. T. . "Personal and family perfectionism of Taiwanese college students: relationships with depression, self-esteem, achievement motivation, and academic grades" International Journal of Psychology
47 (4): 305-314, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/00207594.2011.626050
53. Wei, M. , Mallinckrodt, B. , Russell, D. W. , Abraham, T. . "Maladaptive perfectionism as a mediator and moderator between adult attachment and depressive mood." Journal of Counseling Psychology
51 (2): 201-212, 2004. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
54. Zunker, V. G. . Career Counseling: Applied Concepts of Life Learning. (6th Ed.) Australia: Brooks/Cole, 2002.