Raisa Marie L. Fernan,
Genecio M. Woo
The study aimed to analyse the demographic characteristics and the differences on the work-related quality of life (WRQoL) of the selected employees of Cebu Doctors' University. The study utilized a proportional stratified sampling technique with a sample size of one hundred sixty-eight (168) respondents. The respondents comprised of those affiliated with the following colleges: sixty-one (61) from the Arts and Sciences, twenty-three (23) from the Allied Medical Sciences, twenty-one (21) from Dentistry, six (6) from Optometry and fifty-seven (57) from the Rehabilitative Sciences. The Work-Related Quality of Life (WRQoL) Scale by Easton and Van Laar, was modified in order to add a checklist portion as well as culturally match terms in the question items. Upon pilot test of the modified tool, a reliability alpha of 0.83 was found.
The findings showed that out of sample size, majority (40%) of the population comprised of young adults aged twenty (20) to twenty-nine (29). Majority of the respondents were from the College of Arts and Sciences, with 36% of the sample size. Teaching faculty covered the largest professional group in the sample size, with 54% respondents as teachers. Lastly, the study found that in terms of highest educational attainment, majority (70%) of the respondents have completed tertiary education. In terms of the level of work-related quality of life of the respondents, it was concluded that majority (58%) of the respondents had a high level of work-related quality of life, 36% had average level of work related quality of life. While the minority (4%) of the sample size had low levels of work-related quality of life. When specified according to the six (6) sub factors measured by the WRQoL Scale, the study found that majority of the respondents had a high level of home-work interface and job career satisfaction. Overall, they have an average level of general well-being, control at work and stress at work. Lastly majority of the respondents were found to have low levels of working conditions.
Upon analysis of the six (6) sub factors and the significant differences in terms of demographic characteristics, it was then found that the p-values for each sub factor was greater than that of 0.05. From the p-value it was then concluded that the overall level of work-related quality of life has no significant difference in terms of the different demographic characteristics. The researcher recommends that further studies seek to include other demographic characteristics and identify the differences between the levels of work-related quality of life.
1. Borkowski, , Borkowski, . Organizational Behavior in Health Care 2nd edition Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2011.
2. Cebu Doctors’ Univer, , Cebu Doctors’ Univer, . Administration – Faculty Manual”, effective for the academic year 2012 - 2013
3. Castaldy, , Castaldy, . National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam Review and Study Guide 6th edition TherapyEd, 2012.
4. Crepeau, Cohn , Crepeau, Cohn , Schell, , Schell, . Willard and Spackman’s Occupational Therapy 10th edition Lippincott, 2003.
5. Easton , , Easton , , Van Laar, , Van Laar, . User Manual for the Work-Related Quality of Life Scale: A Measure of Quality of Working Life University of Portsmouth, 2012.
6. Kreitner, , Kreitner, . Organizational Behavior 6th edition Boston: McGraw Hill, 2004.
7. Pizzi, , Scaffa, Reitz , Pizzi, . Occupational Therapy in the Promotion of Health and Wellness F.A. Davis Company,
8. Schultz, Sydney , Schultz, Duane , Schultz, Sydney . Theories of Personality 8th edition Wadsworth Cengage: Learning, 2004.
9. Scaffa, , Schell, Gillen , Scaffa, . Willard and Spackman’s Occupational Therapy 12th Edition Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2014.
10. Turpin, , Turpin, , Iwama, , Iwama, . Using Occupational Therapy Models In Practice A Field Guide Elsevier LTd, 2011.
11. American Occupationa, , American Occupationa, . "Occupational Therapy Practice Framework: Domain and Process 2nd Edition" American Journal of Occupational Therapy 62,
12. Anonymous, , Anonymous, . "Study: Higher Education Improves Quality of Life" Community College Journal 78(3):
13. Chandranshu , Sinha , Chandranshu , Sinha . "Facotrs Affecting Quality of Work Life: Empirical Evidence From Indian Organizations" Austrailian Journal of Business and Management Research 1(11):
14. Haden, Hendricson, R, , Haden, Hendricson, R, . "The Quality of Dental Faculty Work-Life:Report on the 2007 Dental School Faculty Work Environment Survey" Journal of Dental Education 72, 5514-531,
15. Johnsrud, , Johnsrud, . "Measring the Quality of Faculty and Administrative Worklife: Implications for College and University Campuses" Research in Higher Education 43(3):
16. Kaur , , Kaur , , Chaudhary, , Chaudhary, . "Quality of Work Life: A Conceptual Framework in Education Sector" Journal of Asian Research Consortium 3(1):
17. Rao, Arora Vashshit, Rao, Arora Vashshit. "Quality of Work Life: A Study of Jammu University Teachers" Journal of Strategic Human Resource Management 2(1):
18. Ross, , Ross, , Willigen, , Willigen, . "Education and the Subjective Quality of Life" Journal of Health and Social Behavior 38,
19. Mirkamali, Seyed Mohammad , Mirkamali, Seyed Mohammad , Thani, Fatemeh Narenji , Thani, Fatemeh Narenji . "A Study on theQuality of Work Life (QWL) among faculty members of University of Tehran (UT) and Sharif university of Technology (SUT)” Procedia" Social and Behavioral Sciences 29, 179 – 187,
20. Van Laar, Edward , Van Laar, Edward , Easton , , Easton , . "The Work-related Quality of Life Scale for Higher Education Employees" Quality in Higher Education 15(3): 207 – 219,
21. Employee, , Employee, . (2013, November 30). Businessdictionary.com. . Retrieved from: March 142014 from
22. (2007, November 30). Faculty Development Program. . Retrieved from: March 142014 from
24. (2013, November 30). 2010 Annual Survey of Philippine Business and Industry (ASPBI) - Final Results” Private Education. census.go.ph. . Retrieved from: April 202014 from
25. (2013, November 30). CHED memorandum order no. 40, series of 2008 manual of regulations for private higher education of 2008. . Retrieved from: March 15 from
26. (). Death toll in Bohol, Cebu quake now at 42. . Retrieved from: October 2013 from