Cza-Cza T. Andales,
Jimvie U. Arado,
Arby C. Catalan,
Rosemarie G. Lucañas,
Kenneth John S. Sanjorjo,
Isabela G. Suarez,
Leigh Kirsten A. Ybañez,
Larry A. Enriquez
This study determined the level of awareness among Grade 11 STEM students on the Radiologic Technology course in selected schools in Mandaue City, Cebu. The respondents were 248 Grade 11 STEM students randomly selected from Private School A and Public Schools A and B. The study utilized a 12-item researcher-made questionnaire with a reliability index of 0.78.
The study showed that 146 respondents were female, 102 were male. Of the three schools that participated in this study, 193 were enrolled in public schools, 55were enrolled in private schools. The overall level of awareness was moderate in 118 of the respondents. The respondents had a mean score of 8.72 for awareness on the radiologic technologist's role in hospital, 7.68 for the awareness of the Radiologic Technology course, and 15.97 on the awareness of the Radiologic Technology profession - all scores suggested that respondents were moderately aware in each of the subsets. The level of awareness of the female respondents was higher in both public and private schools. In the private school, female respondents scored a mean level of awareness of 9.00 and the male respondents scored 7.44. In the public schools, the female respondents had a mean score of 32.12 and the male respondents had a score of 31.36.
There were a higher number of respondents from the public schools than the private school. There were also a higher number of female respondents enrolled in both public and private schools. The respondents bore moderate level of awareness on the Radiologic Technology course, Radiologic Technology profession, and the radiologic technologist's role in the hospital. This would entail that the respondents were aware of what the Radiologic Technologist does in the hospital, the availability and cost of the Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Technology degree as well as its population of students, and the workload, compensation and hazards of the Radiologic Technology profession. Female respondents from both types of schools showed higher levels of awareness on the radiologic technologist's role in the hospital, the radiologic technology course, and the radiologic technology profession compared to the male respondents in their class. Respondents from both the private school the public schools showed moderate levels of overall awareness. The researchers recommend the findings of the study be used as a basis for the development of career campaign programs promoting the Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Technology course and profession among the Grade 11 STEM students in Mandaue City.
3. Bamba, A. , Bamba, V. , Chen, Y. , Deng, Y. , Li, L. , Ruan, W. , Zhang, Y. . "Why do students choose the medical radiation science profession? " Australian Institute of Radiology
55(2): 2008. Retrieved from: http://www.minnisjournals.com.au/articles/Radiographer%20Aug%2008%20Bamba%20et%20al.pdf
6. Buser, T. , Niederle, H. , Oosterbeek, H. . " Gender competitiveness, and career choices" The Quarterly Journal of Economics
129(3): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1093/qje/qju009
7. Bushong, S. C. . Radiologic science for technologists: Physics, biology, and protection (8th ed). St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier, 2004.
8. Capuzzi, D. , Gross, D. R. . Introduction to the counseling profession (3rd ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 2001.
10. Coombs, C. R. , Park, J. R. , Loan-Clarke, J. , Arnold, J. , Preston, D. , Wilkinson, A. J. . " Perceptions of radiography and the NHS: A qualitative study. " Radiography
9(2): 109-122, 2003. Retrieved from: http://https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/1222/3/RadiographyFinal.pdf
12. Decal-Mendoza, E. . Guidance and counseling today Manila: REX Book Store, 2003.
15. Heiligers, P. J. M. . "Gender differences in medical students’ motives and career choice" BMC Medical Education
12, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/1472-6920-12-82
18. Mangano, M. D. , Rahman, A. , Choy, G. , Shani, D. V. , Boland, G. W. , Gunn, A. J. . "Radiologists’ role in the communication of imaging examination results to patients: Perceptions and preferences of patients." American Journal of Roentgenology
203(5): 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.14.12470
26. Whiston, S. C. . Principles and applications of assessment in counseling (3rd ed.). Australia: Brooks/Cole., 2009.