Estela Marie Dy,
Florena Sharon Gutierrez,
Mary Ann Miro,
Shiley Marie Selma
This study sought to determine the average duration of the preprosthetic training period and the factors which can haste or delay said period.
This study was conducted at Area Vocation Rehabilitation Center II involving 10 lower extremity amputees selected at random utilizing a bivariate descriptive-normative research design wherein the questionnaire was used to obtain the necessary data.
The data revealed that different factors affect the period of preprosthetic training. It was found out that the most common factor that hastened or delayed prosthetic fitting was the absence of complications and the presence of a soft stump respectively.
Results also revealed that the mean duration of the preprosthetic training period was 6.4 weeks per respondent.
Therefore, the factors that have been identified in the study determine the duration of preprosthetic training period.
1. Kottke, Fredderic J., Lehmann, Justus . Krusen USA: W. B. Saunders Company, 1990.
2. Brashear, Robert , Raney, Beverly . handbook of orthopaedic surgery Missouri: C. V. Mosby Company, 1978.
3. Delisa , Joel A.. Rehabilitation medicine, principles and practice USA: J. B Lippincott Company, 1993.
4. O, Susan , Schmitz, Thomas . Physical rehabilitation, assessment and treatment USA: F. A. Davis Company, 1988.
5. Staff, prosthetics and orthotics, New York University post-graduate medical school. Lower Limb Prosthetics USA: NYU, 1990.
6. Flordelis, Mary Jeanne . Syllabus in prosthetics and orthotics 2nd edition. Cebu City. Cebu Doctors,
7. MacLean, Nancy , Fick, Gordon . "The effect of semirigid dressing on below-knee amputations" Physical Therapy Journal 74(7): July 1994