Juliet L. Gopez- Cervanvtes, Jo-Anne V. Bisnar, Ian Homer Y. Cua,
Joseph C. Bocobo Related Institution
Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
St. Luke's Healthcare Journal
Background. Assessment of liver fibrosis is a major parameter in determining progression of chronic liver disease. The most accurate way of determining fibrosis is liver biopsy (LBx), but it is invasive. Real- time Shear Wave Elastography (SWE) is a real-time non-invasive way of assessing liver fibrosis by measuring liver stiffness.
Methods. The aim of the study is to assess the accuracy of SWE in determining liver fibrosis in patients with chronic liver disease. This is a single-center prospective study where we enrolled 120 patients with chronic liver disease of varying etiology with or without cirrhosis. All patients underwent real-time SWE and LBx. Histopathology fibrosis scores were assessed on biopsy specimens by a blinded liver pathologist. Real-time SWE was performed in the same day using the Aixplorer ultrasound systenm (Supersonic Imagine S.A., Aix-en-Provence , France). calculated were optimal ares under the curve through the use of reciever operating characteristics (ROC) for F0 vs F1-F4 ,F0-F1 vs F2-F4 , F0-F2 vs F3-F4 and F0-F3 vs F4.
The ROC values show parallel increase in the values of the stiffness as liver fibrosis progressive.
Conclusion. Rwal-time SWE is accurate in assessing liver fibrosis.
1. Grattagliano , I. , Ubaldi, E. , Bonafrate , L. , Portincasa, P. . "Management of liver cirrhosis between primary care and specialist."
World Journal of Gastroenterology 17(18): 2273-2282, May 2011
2. "Liver databank "
St. Luke's Medical Center , 2003
3. Bataller, R. , Brenner , DA . "Liver fibrosis"
Journal Clinical Investigation 115(02): 209-218, February 2005
4. Pol, S , Gennison, J. , Bavu, E. , Deffieux, T. , Fink, M. , Mallet, V. . "Non-invasive Staging of Liver Fibrosis with Shear Wave Elastography Imaging"
Airplorer Multiwave White Paper , 1-11, 2011
5. Ferraioli, JG. , Tinelli, C. , Dal Bello, B. , Zicchetti, M. , Filice, G. . "Accuracy of Real-time Shear Wave Elastography for assessing liver Fibrosis in Chronic Hepatitis C."
A Pilot Study.Hepatology 56(6): 2125-33:1-, December 2012
6. Lee, JY. , Jeong, WK. , Kim, YS. , Kim, MY. , Kim, SY. , Song , SY. . "Measurement of Liver Stiffness by Shear Wave Elastography (SWE):Setting Up the Normal Range"
Radiological Society of North America , 53, 2011
7. Bercoff, J. PhD. . "Shear Wave Elastography "
White Paper , 1-11, 2008
8. Mueller , Sebastian . "Non-invasive Tools in the Diagnosis A ALD:EASL Postgraduate Course EASL"
The nternational Liver Congress:Barcelona, Spain , 59-75, April 2012