Duke Dolton Y. Aspilla,
Samierose P. Balisi,
Joseph Daniel M. Lanuza,
Jessie Lynn S. Lasaleta,
Marc Conrad T. Tentativa,
Jorela Joelle D. Lu
Manual handling jobs are occupations requiring a high musculoskeletal demand in order to work efficiently. This increases the risk towards acquiring work related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) due to the high physical demands and factors a certain occupation requires. Porters are known to be under these circumstances which put them to be more at risk towards work related musculoskeletal disorders. This study aims to determine the significant influence of the different demographic factors which includes the respondent age, body mass index (BMI) and years of experience towards the risk for acquiring work-related musculoskeletal disorders among the porters of Cebu in terms of the working task lifting, carrying and unloading. The investigators utilized descriptive predictive design, where in the respondents demographic factors and postural risk level were gathered through questionnaire and observations respectively. The Rapid Entire Body Assessment tool by Sue Hignett was used to assess the working task performed by each porter.
The data gathered were used to find the demographic factors that can predict the postural risk level in the different working task with the use of multiple regression analysis. The results showed that out of 124 male porters 18.5% are young adults, 40.3% middle adults and 41.1% older adults. In terms of BMI 58.1% normal, 37.1% overweight and 4.0% underweight. For the years of experience 55.6% had more than 10 years of experience, 24.2% less than 5 years of experience and 20.2% 5 to 10 years of experience. During lifting majority of the porters (46%) have high level of postural risk. During carrying and unloading most of the population have medium level of postural risk with values of 45.2% and 39.5% respectively. The results showed the influence of age, BMI and years of experience to the different working tasks: In lifting no significant p-value was found among the three demographic factors showing only 1.2 % in the variation as explained in the model. Of the following demographic factors age, BMI and years of experience, results showed that BMI was a significant predictor to the postural risk for acquiring MSDs during carrying (R2=0.36) and unloading (R2=0.83).
BMI is a significant predictor of postural risk for acquiring MSDs during the working tasks carrying and unloading. The study was able to come up with the demographic factor showing a prediction towards postural risk for acquiring MSDs. The porters can be educated towards proper working techniques, good health and the use of other equipment to assist them during carrying excessively heavy luggage's in Cebu ports one (1) and three (3). Further studies on other possible risk factors can also be done such as ergonomics, lifestyle and on the specific working tasks as predictors of postural risk of porters for developing MSDs.
1. Alghadir, A , Anwer, S. . "Prevalence of muscuoskeletal pain in construction workers in Saudi Arabia" The Scientific World Journal
, 2015. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/529873
2. Attwells, R. I. , Birrell, S. A. , Hooper, R. H. , Mansfield, N. J. . "Influence of carrying heavy loads on soldiers' posture, movements and gait" Ergonomics
49(14): 1527-1537, 2006. Retrieved from: http://Doi: 10.1080/00140130600757237
3. Belin, A. , Zamparutti, T. , Hernandez, G. , Tull, K. , Graveling, R. . (). Occupational health and safety risks for the most vulnerable workers. . Retrieved June 21, 2017, from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/document/activities/cont/201108/20110829ATT25418/20110829ATT25418EN.pd
7. Boschman, J. S. , Molen, H. F. , Sluiter, J. K. , Frings-Dresen, M. . "Musculoskeletal disorders among construction workers: A one-year follow-up study" BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders
13(1): 2012. Retrieved from: http://Doi:10.1186/1471-2474-13-196
8. Breslin, C. , Koehoorn, M. , Smith, P. , Manno, M. . "Age related differences in work injuries and permanent impairment: a comparison of workers’ compensation claims among adolescents, young adults, and adults" Occupational and Environmental Medicine
60(9): 2003. Retrieved from: http://Doi: 10.1136/oem.60.9.e10
9. Brown, A. , Vargas III, K. , Gomero-Cuadrab, R. . "The Responses of leg and trunk muscles to sudden unloading of the hands: implications for balance and spine stability" Clinical Biomechanics
18(9): 812-820, 2003. Retrieved from: http://PMID: 14527807
10. De Laet, C. , Kanis, J. , Oden, A. , Johanson, H. , Johnell, O. , Delmas, P. , Tenenhouse, A. . "Body mass index as a predictor of fracture risk: A meta-analysis" Osteoporosis International
16(11): 1330-1338, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s00198-005-1863-y
12. Fairchild, S. . Pierson and Fairchild's principles and techniques of patient care (5th ed) Missouri: Saunders, Elsevier Inc., 2013.
17. Frontera, W.R. (Ed.). . DeLisa's physical medicine and rehabilitation: Principles and practice (5th ed.) Philadelphia: Walters Klower, 2010.
19. Gheno, R. , Cepparo, J. M. , Cotten, A. , Rosca, C. E. . "Musculoskeletal disorders in the elderly" Journal of Clinical Imaging Science
2(39): 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4103/2156-7514.99151
21. Guo, H. , Chang, Y. , Yeh, W. , Chen, C. , Guo, Y. . "Prevalence of musculoskeletal disorder among workers in Taiwan: A Nationwide study" Journal of Occupational Health
46, 26-36, 2004. Retrieved from: http://Doi: 10.1539/ joh.46.26
22. Häkkänen, M. , Viikari-Juntura, E. , Martikainen, R. . "Job experience, work load, and risk of musculoskeletal disorders" Occupational and Environmental Medicine
58(2): 129-135, 2001. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.58.2.129
24. Hershkovich, O. , Friedlander, A. , Gordon, B. , Arzhi, H. , Derazne, E. , Tzur, D. , Afek, A. . "Associations of body mass index and body height with low back pain in 829,791 adolescents" American Journal of Epidemiology
178(4): 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1093/aje/kwt019
26. Houde, F. , Cabana, F. , Leonard, G. . "Does age affect the relationship between pain and disability? A descriptive study in individuals suffering from chronic low back pain" Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy
39(3): 140-145, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000055
28. Kachan, D. , Fleming, L. , LeBlanc, W. , Goodman, E. , Arheart, K. , Caban-Martinez, A. , Lee, D. . "Worker populations at risk for work-related injuries across the life course" American Journal of Industrial Medicine
55, 361-366, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1002/ajim.21994.
30. Kamat, S. , Zula, N. , Husain, K. , Rayme, N. , Shamsuddin, S. , Husain, K. . "The Ergonomics body posture on repetitive and heavy lifting activities of workers in aerospace manufacturing warehouse" IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering
, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1088/1757-899X/210/1/012079.
32. Karunanayake, A. . "Prevalence of chronic muscular skeletal pain and associated factors of adult and adolescent weight lifters:Descriptive cross sectional study" Journal of Pain and Relief
5(1): 1-4, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4172/2187-0846.1000222
33. Keller, K. , Engelhardt, M. . "Strength and muscle mass loss withaging process: Age and strength loss" Muscle, Ligaments and Tendons Journal. 24596700,
3(4): 346-350, 2013. Retrieved from: http://PMID: 24596700
34. Keyserling, W. M. , Punnett, L. , Fine, L. J. . "Trunk posture and back pain: identification and control of occupational risk factors" Applied Industrial Hygiene
3(3): 87-92, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1080/08828032.1988.10389276
35. Levangie, P.K, , Norkin, C.C. . Joint structure and function: AComprehensive analysis (5th ed.) Philadelphia: F. A. Davis., 2011.
36. Madani, D.A. , Dababneh, A. . "Rapid Entire Body Assessment: Aliterature review" American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences
9(1): 107-118, 2016. Retrieved from: http://DOI: 10.3844/ajeassp.2016.107.118
37. Maffiuletti, N. , Agosti, F. , Proietti, M. , Riva, D. , Resnik, M. , Lafortuna, C. , Sartorio, A. . "Postural instability of extremely obese individuals improves after a body weight reduction program entailing specific balance training." J. Endocrinol. Invest.
28, 2-7, 2005. Retrieved from: http://https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03345521
38. Magee, D. . Orthopedic physical assessment (6th ed.). Missouri: Elsevier Saunders., 2014.
42. Moreira-Silva, I. , Santos, R. , Abreu, S. , Mota, J. . "Associations between body mass index and musculoskeletal pain and related symptoms in different body regions among workers." Sage Open
3(2): 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: DOI: 10.1177/2158244013491952
43. Mukhopadhyay, P. , Khan, A. . "The evaluation of ergonomic risk factors among meat cutters working in Jabalpur, India." International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health
21(3): 192-198, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1179/2049396714Y.0000000064
45. Norhidayah, M. , Mohamed, N. , Mansor, M. , Ismail, A. . "A Study of Postural Loading in Malaysian Mining Industry using Rapid EntireBody Assessment. MATEC Web of Conferences" Malaysia
74(00014): 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1051/matecconf/20167400014
46. Nunes, I.L. , Bush, P.M. . (). Work-related musculoskeletal disorders assessment and prevention.. . Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5772/37229
49. Punnett, L. , Fine, L. J. , Keyserling, W. M. , Herrin, G. D. , Chaffin, D. B. . "Back disorders and non neutral trunk postures of automobile assembly workers." Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment &Health
17(5): 337-346, 1991. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.1700
53. Salian, S. C. , Boricha, J. , Yardi, S. . "Identification of awkward postures that cause discomfort of liquid petroleum gas workers in Mumbai, India" Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
16(1): 3-8, 2012. Retrieved from: http://Doi: 10.4103/0019-5278.99679
54. Salminen, S. . "Have young workers more injuries than older ones?An international literature review." Journal of Safety Research
35(5): 513-521, 2004. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.jsr.2004.08.005
55. Salomon, S.P. . An Ergonomic assessment of the airline baggage handler.. New Jersey Institute of Technology. 2004. (MA) . Retrieved from: http://njit-etd2004-132
56. Schulte, P. , Wagner, G. , Ostry, A. , Blanciforti, L. , Cutlip, R. , Krajnak, K. , Miller, D. . "Work, obesity, and occupational safety and health." American Journal of Public Health
97(3): 428-436, 2007. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.2105/AJPH.2006.086900
61. Taimela, S. , Laara, E. , Malmivaara, A. , Tiekso, J. , Sintonen, H. , Justen, S. , Aro, T. . "Self-reported health problems and sickness absence in different age groups predominantly engaged in physical work." Occupational and Environmental Medicine
64, 739-746, 2007. Retrieved from: http://doi:doi: 10.1136/oem.2006.027789
62. Tomlinson, D. , Erskine, R. , Morse, C. , Winwood, K. , Onambele-Pearson, G. . "The impact of obesity on skeletal muscle strength and structure through adolescence to old age." Biogerontology
, 2015. Retrieved from: http://https://doi.org/10.1007/s10522-015-9626-4
64. World Health Organization.(). BMI classification.. . Retrieved June 30, 2017, from: http://ceac.state.gov
65. Xu, G. , Li, L. , Liu, F. , Pang, D. , Pei, D. , Wang, S. . "Prevalence of low back pain and associated occupational factors among Chinese coal miners." BMC Public Health
12(149): 2012. Retrieved from: http://https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-149