Asonita J. Parmisana
Doctor of Organization Development and Transformat
The purpose of the study was to assess, analyze and evaluate the effect of the strategic Management Intervention on the Organization Design of Highway of Holiness Ministries International, Nairobi-Kenya. The study was descriptive and comparative in nature.
An organizational diagnosis was done in order to establish the existing problems using a self-administered questionnaire and streams analysis and SWOT analysis done to strengthen the diagnosis. The study conducted an assessment of the organization design problems to establish the status before and after the planned interventions using a questionnaire administered to 32 staff and leaders of Highway of Holiness Ministries International.
The results of the study revealed that there was significant improvement in all the three areas of OD intervention: Vision, Mission and goals overall mean score increased from 2.85 to 4.37, a difference of 1.37; and with a t-value of 10.99 and P-value of 0.000 at alpha level 0.05, the change was confirmed to be significant. The Structure, roles and accountabilities overall mean score increased from 2.63 to 3.53, a difference of 0.89; and with a t-value of 13.82 and p-value of 0.000 at alpha level 0.05, the change was proved to be significant. The Policies and procedures overall mean score increased from 2.34 to 3.79, a difference of 1.45; and with a t-value of 13.28 and a P-value of 0.000 at alpha level 0.05 it was concluded that the change was significant.
The frequency of the responses in terms of agree and disagree between the pre and post intervention data provided further intriguing and interesting results. In terms of Vision, Mission and Goals, the pre intervention assessment results indicated that 17% of the responses agreed while 31% disagreed. This changed tremendously after the intervention where 90% agreed while only 0.5% disagreed; structure, roles and accountabilities changed from 4% agree and 35% disagree for the pre intervention assessment to 50% agree and only 11% disagree for the post intervention assessment. The policy and procedures pre intervention assessment was 0% agree and 59% disagree. These roses to 43% agree and only 7% disagree for the post intervention assessment. Overall, in qualitative terms, the rating of the Vision, mission and goals improved from fair to very good while the structure, roles and accountabilities; and Policies and procedures improved from fair to good.
The strategic management intervention carried out had a positive impact on the organizational design of Highway of Holiness Ministries international. The interventions led to development of clear Vision, Mission and goals of the ministry; creating a sense of shared vision, ownership and commitment. The interventions further led to establishment of a clear organizational structure with clear roles and accountabilities; and Job descriptions. This has led to clear chain of command, effective supervision and reporting. In addition, the intervention led to development and documentation of key policies. The finance, procurement and approval policy have contributed to improved efficiency and effectiveness of the ministry while the human resources policy has improved the work conditions and environment for staff.
Whereas the interventions successfully impacted the organizational design of the ministry, it is easy to slide back. The researcher therefore recommends that the leadership institutes periodical assess to establish compliance to what has been instituted and corresponding actions to ensure that the gains of the interventions are strengthened and sustained until they becomes a culture.
1. Beech, Nic , Macintosh , Robert . Managing change: Enquiry and Action. UK: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
2. Cummings , Thomas G.. Hand book of Organization Development. California , USA.: SagePublications Inc., 2008.
3. David , Fred R. . Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases 7th ed. New Jersey: PrenticeHall inc., 1999.
4. Dess, Gregory G., Lumpkin, G.T. , Eisner, Alan B.. Strategic Management: textand cases 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, 2010.
5. French, , Bell, , Zawacki, . Organizational Development and Transformation. California. Orwin: Mcgraw-Hill, 2000.
6. French, , Wendell , L. , Bell, H. , Cecil , Jr. , Zawack, , Robert , A. . OrganizationDevelopment and Transformation. 4th ed. San Franscisco California: Irwin: McGraw-Hill., 1994.
7. French , Wendell L. , Cecil, Bell Jr. H. . Organizational Development: Behavioralscience interventions for organizational improvement 6th ed. Prentice Hall, New Jersey: 1999.
8. Kouzes, James M., Posner, Barry Z.. The leadership Challenge 4th ed. USA: John Wiley& Sons Inc., 2007.
9. Mullins, Laurie J.. Management and Organizational Behavior 6th Ed. Prentice Hall,Financial Times, UK.: 2002.
10. Pearce , John A. , Robinson, Richard B.. Strategic management: Planning forDomestic and Global Competition 13th Ed. Singapore: McGrawHill, 2013.
11. Pearce , John A. , Robinson, Jr., Richard B. . Strategic Management:Formulation, Implementation and Control USA: Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 1995.
12. Porras , Jerry I. . Stream Analysis: A powerful way to diagnose and ManageOrganizational Change Reading Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley., 1987.
13. Robbins, Stephen P.. Organizational Behavior 10th edition. Prentice hall NewJersey, United States.: 2003.
14. Rowe, Alan J.. Strategic Management: A methodological approach 4th ed. Addison-Wesley Publishing co. Inc., 1994.
15. Senge, Peter M.. The Fifth Discipline: The art and practice of the LearningOrganisation New York: Doubleday Dell PublishingInc., 1990.
16. Senge, Peter M.. The fifth discipline fieldbook: Strategies and Tools forBuilding a Learning Organisation New York: Doubleday Dell Publishing Group inc., 1994.
17. Shrivastava, Paul . 1994 Strategic Management, Concepts and Practices 1st ed. Ohio, USA.: South-Western Publishing co.,
18. Silberman, Mel . The Consultant’s Big Book of Organizational Development Tools New York.: McGraw-Hill , 2003.
19. Smith , Garry , Danny , Arnold R., Bizzell, Bobby G.. Business Strategy and Policy2nd ed. Boston, USA.: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1988.
20. Thompson Jr., Arthur A., Strickland III, A.J. , Gamble , John E. . Crafting & ExecutingStrategy: The Quest for competitive advantage, concepts and cases 16th ed. Prentice Hall inc., 2008.
21. Wheelen , Thomas L., David Hunger , J. . Strategic Management and Businesspolicy USA: Addison-Wesley Publishing co., 1986.
22. Pisano, Garry P.. "You need an Innovation Strategy" Harvard Business Review 93, 44-46, 2015
23. Raduan , C. R. , Jegak, U. , Haslinda, A. , Alimin, I. I . "Management, StrategicManagement Theories and the Linkage with Organisational Competitive Advantagefrom the Resource-Base View" European Journal of Social Sciences 11(3 ): 402-412, 2009
24. Gichung’wa, Miriam Wanjiku . Organizational Development Interventions towardseffective and efficient performance of the Presbyterian university of East Africa(PUEA) Kikuyu Campus, Kenya, East Africa. 2015.
25. Sia, Leahlizbeth Angbetic . Organization Development Interventions on theattainment of the vision and mission of Shakey’s Pizza restaurants in Cebu.. 2009.