Kiran Kumar Unga,
Desiderio C. Asane
This is a descriptive correlational study entitled "Socio-Demographic Factors of Community Residents in relation to Control Strategies against Dengue and the Sanitary Conditions Among Households of barangay Canduman, Mandaue City", aimed to determine if there is a significant association in the control strategies and sanitary conditions of dengue across age, sex, civil status and socio-economic factors among households of Barangay Canduman, Mandaue City.The survey was conducted among 207 randomly selected respondents covering each of the 7 zones of Barangay Canduman, Mandaue City, using a questionnaire.
From the data collected,most of the respondents were young adults (38.6%), males (58.9%), single (53.6%) and had high school level of education (32.4%). Most of the respondent's family occupation were general employees (20.2%) in various fields followed by workers (18.80%) and had an annual income of 100,000 - 249,999 PHP and they hav 4 and below children (79.2%). Out of the 207 respondents, 53 had a Dengue history which forms 25.6% which clearly states the high rate of dengue incidence in Barangay Canduman of Mandaue City and most of the dengue cases where among children who are in age between 6 to 12 years which forms high incidence with 54.7%.The data was processed using IBM SPSS Version 22 and the results showed that there isn't any significant association in the control strategies and sanitary conditions of dengue across age, sex, civil status or socio-economic factors. The results revealed that of the profiles gathered, civil status was associated with the use of trash lids (p<.001) and the family income was associated with ownership of toilet facilities (p<.05). Results also show that the use of mosquito net was associated with gender (p<.05) while the use of repellent sprays or lotion was associated with civil status (p<.05).
From the data the researcher concluded that use of mosquito nets was poorly associated with gender, use of repellent sprays or lotion is also poorly associated with civil status and in the same way the financial status of the respondents associated with owning of toilets. Finally, the researcher recommend to the welfare of the community residents of Barangay Canduman and also recommended to the future researchers to conduct studies of similar kind using broader scale sampling for the precision of results and also to check for the prevalence and incidence rates of dengue in specific localities that would help the Barangay health officers to conduct effective awareness programs.
2. Bravo, L. , Roque, V.G. , Brett, J. , Dizon, R. , L’Azou, M. . "Epidemiology of Dengue diseases in the Philippines (2000-2011): A systematic literature review" Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases
8(11): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0003027.
3. Calvez, E. , Guillaumot, L. , Miller, L. , Marie, J. , Bossin, H. , Rama, V. , Dupont- Rouzeyro, M. . "Genetic diversity and phylogeny of Aedesaegypti, the main Arbovirus vector in the pacific" PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases
10(1): 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004374
4. Cano, R.J. , Colome, J.S. , Colome, J.S. . Micriobiology. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing Company, 1986.
6. Castro, M. , Sanchez, L. , Perez, D. , Sebrango, C. , Shkedy, Z. , Van der Stuyft, P. . "The relationship between economic status,knowledge on dengue, risk perceptions and practices" PLoS One
8(12): 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0081875
7. Din, M.A.M , Shaaban, G. , Taib, N. , Leman, N. . "The study of Dengue disease data by GIS software in urban area of Petaling Jaya Selatan.In P.C. Lai & A." GIS for health and environment
, 206-213, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-71318-0-15.
8. Harper, D.R. . Molecular virology (2nded.) Singapore: Springer-Verlag., 1998.
9. Muktar, Y. , Tamerat, N. , Shewafera, A. . "Aedesaegypti as a vector of flavivirus" Journal of Tropical Diseases & Public Health
4(5): 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4172/2329- 891X.1000223.
11. Ooi, E.E. , Goh, K.T. , Gubler, D.J. . "Dengue prevention and 35 years of vector control in Singapore" Emerging Infectious Diseases
12(6): 881-893, 2006. Retrieved from: http://.doi: 10.3201/10.3201/eid1206.051210
12. Pelczar, M.J. , Chan, E.C.S. , Krieg, N.R. . Microbiology New York: McGraw-Hill, 1986.
17. Wong, L.P. , Abubakar, S. , Chinna, K. . "Community knowledge, health beliefs, practices and experiences related to dengue fever and its association with IgG seropositivity" PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases
8(5): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0002789