Rhea Mel F. Capuno,
Alexa Eddy C. Carvajal,
Jamyla Jeihla D. Codilla,
Caira Loisse R. Colonia,
Zack Albert M. Congson,
Nicole Mae F. Cumayas,
Adrianne Pearl B. Dublin,
Ricarmela C. Dupal-ag,
Rachelle A. Bihag
This study aimed to determine the awareness and health seeking behavior towards dengue among mothers of a selected barangay in Cebu City. The study involved 359 randomly selected respondents from Barangay Lahug. The researchers selected the respondents using disproportionate stratified random sampling from each forty-five (45) sitios. The research instruments that were utilized in this study were the Modified Dengue Awareness Questionnaire adapted from the Dengue Awareness tool by Labrague and Yboa (2013), and the Modified Health Seeking Behavior Questionnaire adapted from the study of Bahrami, Atashbahar, Shokohifar and Montazeralfara (2014).
In terms of profile, the findings had shown that majority of the respondents were young adults (91.9%), attained high school level (49.9%), and are employed (62.1%). The annual income is moderate (National Statistics Office, 2003) ranging from 60,000 to 99,999. Most of the children had not experienced dengue (92.2%). The median score for the level of awareness towards dengue is 36.0 and was also interpreted was high. While the health seeking behavior had a median score of 80.0 and was also interpreted as high. Spearman correlation was carried out and revealed that there was no significant relationship between awareness and health seeking behavior towards dengue, rs = 0.096, p = 0.069.
Based on the findings, there was no significant relationship between awareness and health seeking behavior towards dengue among mothers of a selected barangay in Cebu City. Information dissemination regarding dengue is important to improve the health seeking behavior of the individuals in barangay Lahug towards the disease.
1. Abidin, S. I. Z. , Sutan, R. , Shamsuddin, K. . "Prevalence and determinants of appropriate health seeking behavior among known diabetics: Results from a community-based survey" Advances in Epidemiology
2014, 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.hindawi.com/archive/2014/793286
6. Babitsch, B. , Gohl, D. , von Lengerke, T. . " Re-revisiting Andersen’s behavioral model of health seeking services use: A systematic review of studies" .German Medical Science Psycho-Social-Medicine
, 1998-2011, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3205/psm000089
9. Bouzid, M. , Colon-Gonzalez, F.J. , Lung, T. , LakF.J.e, L. R. , Hunter, P. R. . " Climate change and the emergence of vector-borne disease in Europe: Case study of dengue fever." BMC Public Health
, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-781
12. Cuevas, F. P. . Public health nursing in the Philippines (10thed.). Philippines: National League of Philippine Government Nurses., 2007.
16. Dhimal, M. , Aryal, K. K. , Dhimal, M. L. , Gautam, I. , Singh, S.P. , Bhusal, C.L. , .P& Kuch, U. . " Knowledge, attitude and practice regarding dengue fever among the healthy population of highland and67lowland communities in Central Nepal" PloS ONE
9(7): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0102028
18. Feinstein, L. , Sabates, R. , Anderson, T.M. , Sorhaindo, A. , Hammond, C. . "What are the effects of education on health?" Measuring the Effects of Education on Health and Civic Engagement: Proceedings of the Copenhagen Symposium
, 171-177, 2006. Retrieved from: http://https://www.oecd.org/edu/innovation-education/37437718.pdf
19. Festejo, K. E. , Estrella, S.P. , Evasco, G.B. , Fuentes, D. S. A. , Gacasan, M.G.S. , Gonzaga, C.C. , Maiso, A.L. . The effectiveness of health teachings on the level of knowledge and degree of compliance on dengue awareness program as mandated by the Department of Health among selected residents in Barangay Labangon, Cebu City . Mandaue City. 2011. Cebu Doctors’ University,
20. Fradin, M. S. , Day, J.F. . "Comparative efficacy of insect repellants against mosquito bites." The New England Journal of Medicine
347, 2002. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa011699
21. Funk, S. , Gilad, E. , Watkins, C. , Jansen, V.A.A. . "The spread of awareness and its impact on epidemic outbreaks" Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
106(16): 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1073/pnas.0810762106
23. Gonzales, A. M. , Hollnsteiner, M.R. . Filipino women as partners of men in progress and development: A survey of empirical data and a statement of basic goals fostering male-female partnership. Quezon City: Institute of Philippine Culture., 1976.
26. Magallon, L. A. V. V. , Cabahug, V. M. L. , Cenita, L. B. , Fernandez, F. A. F , Gaitan, R. M. O. , Gorduiz, J. L. O , Uy, P. Z. L. . Trust and health seeking behavior of selected middle adults to health center staff at Barangay Capitol Site, Cebu City: Basis for information dissemination in maintaining health seeking behavior . Mandaue City. 2011. Cebu Doctors’ University,
32. Musoke, D. , Boynton, P. , Butler, C. , Musoke, M. B. . "Health seeking behavior and challenges in utilising health facilities in Wakiso district, Uganda." African Health Sciences
14(4): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4314/ahs.v14i4.36
37. Potter , P. , Perry, A.G. . Fundamentals of nursing (7thed.). St. Louis: MO: Mosby, 2009.
41. Seamon, J.G. , Kenrick, D.T. . Psychology. Englewoods Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1992.
42. Soederberg Miller, L. M. . "Age differences in the effects of domain knowledge on reading efficiency" Psychology Aging
24(1): 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037/a0014586