Jann Maxine C. Burdador,
Bo Faye Sheena T. Castro,
Xenia Clarice T. Marte,
Troy P. Arinque
This study aimed to find out the degree of disability caused by low back pain and its impact on work performance among public elementary school teachers in Cebu City. A descriptive correlational method was used to gather data and by the use of 2 research instruments namely: The Oswestry Disability Index (ODI), which measures the degree of disability of low back pain and Teachers Work Performance Questionnaire in Relation to Low Back Pain (TWPQ), a researchers' made tool that measures the teachers' work performance. The study was done in Cebu City, wherein six public elementary schools were chosen namely: Banilad Elementary School, Barrio Luz Elementary School, Lahug Elementary School, Mabolo Elementary School, Talamban Elementary School, Tejero Elementary School. A total of 198 selected public elementary school teachers were able to participate in the study.
Out of 198 respondents, 172 indicated that they had experienced minimal disability with the percentage of 86.9% and twenty-six (26) for moderate disability as rated with 13.1%. The results have shown that majority of the respondents have either outstanding work performance (46% or 91 of 198) or exceeds expectations work performance (35.4% or 70 of 198). The rest of the respondents were spread out to meets expectations (8.1% or 16 of 198), below expectations (5.1% or 10 of 198) and unsatisfactory (5.6 % 11 of 198) work performance. The significant relationship between low back pain and work performance is shown to be rs = -0.203 (p=0.004). This means that degree of disability caused by low back pain and work performance have weak negative relationship, indicated that when the degree of disability decreases, then the work performance increases. Similarly, as the disability increases, then the work performance tends to increase.
To conclude, the degree of disability associated with low back pain had an impact on the work performance of the teachers. Because of the results of the study, the researchers were able to come up with an OT Intervention Program, which is specially planned for the teachers. The program contains specific OT intervention strategies for minimal disability, moderate disability and for the work performance of the teachers.
1. Abdul Samad, N.I. , Abdullah, H. , Moin, S. , Tamrin, S.B.M. , Hashim, Z. . "Prevalence of low back pain and its risk factors among school teachers" American Journal of Applied Sciences
7(5): 634-639, 2010. Retrieved from: http://thescipub.com/PDF/ajassp.2010.634.639.pdf
4. Aquino, M.O. , Arinque, T.P. . The influence of the degree of disability caused by low back pain on the occupational role of selected full time faculty members of Cebu Doctors’ University. Mandaue City. 2014. Cebu Doctors’ University,
5. Bener, A. , El-Rufaie, O.F. , Kamram, S. , Georgievski, A.B. , Farooq, A. , Rysavy, M. . "Disability, depression, and somatization in a low back pain population" International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases
9(3): 257-263, 2006. Retrieved from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1479- 8077.2006.00210.x/abstract.
7. Bravemann, B. , Page, J.J. . Work: Promoting participation & productivity through occupational therapy. Philadelphia:: F.A. Davis Company., 2012.
8. Bridger, R. S. . Introduction to ergonomics (3rd ed.). Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press., 2009.
11. Cezar-Vaz, M.R. , Bonow, C.A. , de Almeida, M.C.V. , Rocha, L.P. , Borges, A.M. . " Mental Health of Elementary School teachers in southern Brazil: Working conditions and health consequences" The Scientific World Journal
, 1-6, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1155/2015/825925
13. Crepeau, E.B. , Cohn, E.S. , Boyt Schell, B.A. . Willard & Spackman. Philadelphia: Willard & Spackman, 2009.
14. Durlov, S. , Chakrabarty, S. , Chatterjee , A. , Das, T. , Dev, S. , Gamgopadhyay, S. , Sahu, S. . "Prevalence of low back pain among handloom weavers in West Bengal, India." International Journal Of Occupational And Environmental Health
20(4): 333-339, 2014. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4164884/
18. Hoogendoorn, W.E. , Bongers, P.M. , de Vet, H.C.W. , Douwes, M. , Koes, B.W. , Miedema, M.C. , Bouter, L.M. . "Flexion and rotation of the trunk and lifting at work are risk factors for low back pain" Spine
25(23)): 2000. Retrieved from: http://stoverpt.com/uploads/3/5/2/5/3525994/hoogndoorn _et_al.pdf
20. Hurwitz, E. , Morgenstern, H. , Chiao, C. . "Effects of recreational physical activity and back exercises on low back pain and psychological distress: Findings from the UCLA low back pain study" American Journal Of Public Health
95(10): 1817-1824, 2005. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449442/
21. Jacobs, K. . Ergonomics for therapists. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier, 2008.
24. Kielhofner, G. . Conceptual foundations of occupational therapy practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company, 2009.
26. Lindegard, A. , Larsman, P. , Hadzibajramovic, E. , Ahlborg, Jr. G. . "The influence of perceived stress and musculoskeletal85pain on work performance and work ability in Swedish health care workers" International Archives Occupational Environmental Health
87, 373-379, . Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996278/.
30. Mehrparvar, A.H. , Heydari, M. , Mirmohammadi, S.J. , Mostaghaci, M. , Davari, M.H. , Taheri, M. . "Ergonomic intervention, workplace exercises and musculoskeletal complaints: A86comparative study" Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran
28, 1-8, 2014. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4219902/
33. Mohd Anuar, N.F. , Rasdi, I.M. , Saliluddin, S. , Zainal Abidin, E. . " Work task and job satisfaction predicting low back pain among secondary school teachers in Putrajaya" Iran Journal Public Health
45(1): 85-92, 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.sid.ir/en/VEWSSID/J_pdf/8632016SUP0111.pdf
34. Mohseni Bandpei, M.A. , Ehsani, F. , Behtash, H. , Ghanipour, M. . "Occupational low back pain in primary and high school teachers: Prevalence and associated factors" Journal of Mnanipulative and Pshyiological Therapeutics
37(9): 702-87708, 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.sid.ir/en/VEWSSID/J_pdf/8632016SUP0111.pdf.
35. Murtezani, A. , Ibraimi, Z. , Petrela, E. , Berisha, M. , Osmani, T. . "Low back pain among Kosovo power plant workers: a survey. " Italian Journal of Public Health
9(4): e8661-1 -, 2012. Retrieved from: http://ijphjournal.it/article/view/8661.
39. Odole, A.C. , Gbiri, C.A. , Sobiyi, O.T. , Oketola, B. . "Prevalence, pattern and correlates of work-related musculoskeletal pain among selected primary school teachers in Ibadan, Nigeria" University of Lagos Journal of BasicMedical Sciences
1(2): 29-34, 2013. Retrieved from: http://https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259170024_Prevalen ce_Pattern_and_Correlates_of_WorkRelated_Musculoskeletal_ Pain_among_Selected_Primary_School_Teachers_in_Ibadan_ Nigeria
40. Pedretti, L.W. . Occuaptional therapy: Practice skills for physical dysfunction (2nd ed.). St. Louis, Missouri:: Mosby., 1985.
41. Pendleton, H. , Krohn, W. . Pedretti. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier Mosby,
44. Reed, K. , Sanderson, S.N. . Concepts of occupational therapy.. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
45. Sadosky, A.B. , DiBonaventure, M. , Cappelleri, J.C. , Ebata, N. , Fuji, K. . "The association between lower back pain and health status, work productivity, and health care resource use in Japan" Journal of Pain Research
8, 119-130, 2015. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4348130/.
48. Trombly, C.A. . Occupational therapy for physical dysfunction (4th ed.). Maryland: Williams & Wilkins, 1995.
51. Van Nieuwenhuyse, A.V. , Somville, P.R. , Crombez, G. , Burdof, A. , Verbeke, G. , Johannik, K. , Moens, G.F. . "The role of physical workload and pain related fear in the development of low back pain in young workers: Evidence from the BelCoBack Study; results after one year of follow up" Occupational Environment Medicine,
63, 45-52, 2006. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2078035/. doi: 10.1136/oem2004.015693.
54. Yue, P. , Lui, F. , Li, L. . (2011, November 30). Neck/shoulder pain and low back pain among school teachers in China, prevalence and risk factors.. BioMed Central. . Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22978655.