Harish Yadav Amjikar ,
Naga Manikanteswara Reddy Kalluru,
Rajeev Reddy Kurli,
Yani Angel Mathangi,
Eswar Sai Mekala,
Tulasi Priyanka Pulicharla,
Corazon V. Canapi
This is an experimental study which is aimed to determine the comparative study on the larvicidal effect of leaf extracts of Carica papaya, Eucalyptus globulous and Peperomia pellucida on larvae of Culicidae mosquitoes.
This study included a total of three plants and the samples of their leaf extracts were collected using Soxhlet apparatus. The extract of each plant was poured into three plastic containers in equal amounts and 20 mosquito larvae for each sample of the extract were placed in the containers and were observed for three consecutive hours. The percent mortalities of mosquito larvae were recorded for each hour and the difference across the leaf extracts were determined with positive and negative control groups i.e., Baygon and water respectively.
The crude extracts of the three plants were taken from the Soxhlet apparatus and the percent mortalities were noted for each leaf extract and also from the positive control and negative control for every 1 hour. Among them, Peperomia pellucida was effective with the Mean±SD of 78.33±18.93 whereas Carica papaya showed the Mean±SD of 60±5 and Eucalyptus globulous showed the value of Mean±SD as 70±13.23. The percent mortalities of the larvae among the treatment groups across three hours for the positive control method using Baygon is 100 and for water, the negative control method is 0. It is recommended that the effectiveness of certain leaf extracts in reducing the larvicidal effect on mosquito larvae to be studied by the future researchers and to conduct a comparative study among other families in the order Diptera.
1. Awad, K. T. , Huda, E. O. , Omar, A. S. . "Larvicidal effects of some plant extracts against Anopheles arabiensis patton larvae (Diptera : Culicidae)" Journal of Science and Technology 12(03): 2011
2. Cetin, H. , Yanikoglu, A. . "A studyof the larvicidal activity of Origanum (Labicitae) species from SouthwestTurkey" Journal of Vector Ecology 31(1): 118-122, 2006
3. Chapagain, B. , Weismann, Z. . "Larvicidal effects of aqueous extracts of Balanitesaeygptiaca (desert date) against the larvae of Culex pipines mosquitoes" AfricanJournal of Biotechnology 4(11): 1351-1354, 2005
4. Elbanna, S. M. . "Larvicidal effects of eucalyptus extract on the larvae of Culex pipiens mosquito" InternationalJournal of Agriculture and Biology 8(6): 2006
5. Kamaraju, R. , Barik, T. , Reddy, B.P.N. , Sharma, P. , Dash, A. . "Malaria vector control: from past to future" Parasitol Res
108, 757-779, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s00436-010-2232-0
6. Paulraj, M. G. , Reegan, A. D. , Ignacimuth, S. . "Toxicity of Benzaldehyde and Propionic acid againstimmature and adult stages of Aedesaegypti (Linn.) and Culexquinquefasciatus (Say) (Diptera: Culicidae)" Journal of Entomology
8(6): 539-547, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.3923/je.2011.539.547.
7. Rahuman, A. A. , Bagavan, A. , Kamaraj, C. , Vadivelu, M. , Zahir, A.A. , Elango, G. , Pandiyan, G. . "Evaluation ofindigenous plant extracts against larvae of Culex quinquefasciatus Say(Diptera: Culicidae)" Parasitol Res
104, 637–643, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi :10.10071s00436-008-1240-9
8. Saiqa, I. , Shagufta, N. , Farah, A. , Zahida, P. , Aamir, A. . "Chemical composition of essential oil from in vitrogrown Peperomia obtusifolia through GC-MS" Pak.J. Bot. 46(2): 667-672, 2014
9. Subramaniam, J. , Kalimuthu, K. , Palanisamy, M. K. , Kadarkari, M. , Walton, W. . "Mosquito larvicidal activity of Aloevera (Family: Liliaceae) leaf extracts and Bacillus sphaericus against Chikungunya vector, Aedes aegypti" Saudi J Biol Sci
19(4): 503-509, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.sjbs.2012.07.003
10. Tennyson, S. , Arivoli, S. . "Larvicidal and adult emergence inhibition activity of Abutilon indicum (Linn.) (Malvaceae) leaf extracts against vectormosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae)" Journalof Biopesticides 4(1): 27 - 35, 2011