Gilrey-Stanley N. Cortes,
Joselito Marie Ouano,
Patricia Kile N. Samson,
Carlo Angelo L. Santamaria,
Gillan Mae A. Sayson,
Joaquin Miguel C. Tirado,
Elvira A. Arong
Escherichia coli is becoming more resistant towards pharmaceutical products due to repetitive consumption. Euphorbia hirta has been previously studied and proven to have antibacterial effects against E. coli, hence, it was chosen as part of this research as an objective of finding alternative treatment for E. coli infection. In order to determine the antibacterial effects of Euphorbia hirta, it was tested against Chloramphenicol and each of the zones of inhibition produced on the Mueller-Hinton agar and the significant difference of both ZOI were measured.
When compared to Chloramphenicol, which had an average zone of inhibition of 24mm, Euphorbia hirta proved to be significantly less effective with only an average of 7mm. Based on the standardized antibiotic sensitivity table from CLSI, Euphorbia hirta was not as effective as Chloramphenicol.
In conclusion, Euphorbia hirta is not to be considered an alternative medication to Escherichia coli infections, as well as an antibacterial agent against Escherichia coli. For future studies on E. hirta and E. coli, it is recommended that antibacterial assays be performed on E. hirta in conjunction with other plant extracts in order to get a bigger scope of Euphorbia hirta's standard zone of inhibition.
1. Clinical and Laborat, . (2012). Performancestandards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; twenty-second informationalsupplement. . Retrieved from:
2. El-Mahmood, A. , Ameh, J. . In-vitro antibacterialactivity of Parkia biglobosa (Jacq) root, bark extract against some microorganismsassociated with urinary tract infectionsAfrican Journal of Biotechnology 6(11): 2007. Retrieved from:
3. El-Mahmood, M. A. . Antibacterial activity of crudeextracts of Euphorbia hirta against some bacteria associated with entericinfectionsJournal of Medicinal Plants Research 3 (7): 2009. Retrieved from:
4. Kumar, S. , Malhotra , R. , Kumar , D. . Euphorbiahirta: Its Chemistry, Traditional and Medicinal Uses, and PharmacologicalActivitiesPharmacognosy Reviews 4(7): 2010. Retrieved from:
5. Lacuna, M. L. , Carmona, M. L. , Amparado, B. B. , Daclan, M. A. , Ranido, L. A. . Antimicrobial activity of supercritical fluidextracts of two Philippine medicinal plants, Psidium guajava and Euphorbiahirta: Implications to community healthAAB Bioflux 5 (1): 2013. Retrieved from:
6. Mahesh, B. , Satish, S. . Antimicrobial activityof some important medicinal plant against plant and human pathogensWorldJournal of Agricultural Sciences 4(S): 2008. Retrieved from:
7. Mahon, C. , Lehaman, D. , MAnuselis, G. . Textbookof Diagnostic Microbiology . Singapore: SaundersElsevier, 2011. (4th Ed.)
8. Ogbulie, J. , Ogueke, C. , Okoli, I. , Anyanwu, B. . Antibacterial activities and toxicological potentials of crude ethanolicextracts of Euphorbia hirtaAfrican Journal of Biotechnology 6(13): 2007. Retrieved from:
9. Quisumbing, R. . Laboratory Manual in Bacteriology for Medical Technology Students. Mandaue City: Cebu Doctors, 2000.