Franklin Adrian Detosil,
Loise Verdalyn Lecciones,
Jose Randolf Sino Cruz,
Alyzza Jan Templado,
Kimberly Rose D. Tero
The objective of the research study was to assess the respiratory symptoms and spirometric profile among selected taxi drivers in Cebu City and develop a pulmonary rehabilitation education program for the respondents. A total of fifty (50) taxi drivers were selected through stratified random sampling proportionate to the population size. The study utilized the Saint George Respiratory Questionnaire (SGRQ), which was validated by Ferrer M. using the Chronbach Alpha reliability testing with a score of 94%, to evaluate the respiratory symptoms among the taxi drivers. A spirometer named WinspiroPRO was also used in determining the spirometric profile along with the severity level and pulmonary impairment.
As obtained by using the Saint George's Respiratory Questionnaire, majority of the respondents manifested cough (70%), sputum production (64%), breathlessness (54%), and wheezing (26%) in the past three (3) months. Based on the taxi drivers' spirometric profile, majority had normal results, yet the researchers were able to identify nine (9) respondents with Obstructive Pulmonary problem whose respiratory lung profile, specifically FEV1, showed a decreased result. Nine (9) respondents with identified obstructive pulmonary problem was categorized based on the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (GOLD) standards: one (1) under mild with an FEV1 ≥ 80%, six (6) under moderate with a FEV1 50-79%, one (1) under severe with a FEV1 30-49%, and one (1) under very severe with a FEV1 <30%. In terms of significant frequency of respiratory symptoms among the levels of spirometric profile; Mild obstructive defect showed presence of breathlessness with cough as their respiratory symptom while taxi drivers with moderate, severe and very severe obstructive defect, manifested all the respiratory symptoms except wheezing. In totality, the higher the severity the more respiratory symptoms are present.
Based on the gathered information and findings, taxi drivers who showed obstructive defect on their spirometry and manifested all respiratory symptoms make a perfect candidates for Pulmonary Rehabilitation Education Program. The program was conducted to educate the respondents for them to be knowledgeable enough about the disease and especially its management. The program includes discussions on exercise training, disease education, and sychosocial/behavioral components. It came to a conclusion that the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Education Seminar was indeed a great help to the taxi drivers after conducting a follow-up interview about the respondents' feedback and their present situation. In the interest of future studies, the researchers would allow this data to be used as a baseline in formulating a new study and would highly recommend the broadening of this study by means of considering other communities aside from Cebu City with different respondents and population such as bus drivers or the commuters, research design and instruments.
1. Aballe, R. , Betonio, N. , Castro, M. , Ceniza, M. , Pilare, N. , Ranggol, I. . (2012, November 30). Difference in the Pulmonary Functions of Taxi Drivers Using Gasoline andLiquefied Petroleum Gas.. Herdin, R07-CDU-13072009495827. . Retrieved from: http://www.herdin.ph/index.php/component/herdin/?view=research&cid=52801
4. Bawa, M. S. , Srivastav, M. . "Study the epidemiologicalprofile of Taxi Drivers in the background of Occupational Environment,Stress and Personality Characteristics." Indian Journal of Occupational & Environment Medicine
17(3): 108-113, 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4035606/
7. Burgel, P. R. , et. al., . "Cough and Sputum Production are Associated with Frequent Exacerbations and Hospitalizations in COPD Subjects." Chest
4, 975-982, 2009. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19017866
12. Daudey, L. . "Health Status in COPD cannot be Measure by theSt. George’s Respiratory Questionnaire Alone: an Evaluation of theUnderlying Concepts of this Questionnaire" Respiratory Research
11(98): 2010. Retrieved from: http://respiratoryresearch.com/content/11/1/98
13. Department of Health, . (2013, November 30). Mortality of COPD in Cebu City 2013.. Personal communication.
14. Eisner, M. , Omachi, T. , Katz, P. , Yelin, E. , Iribarren, C. , Blanc , P. . "Measurement of COPD Severity Using a Survey-Based Score" Chest
4, 876-851, 2009. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851559/
15. Ekberg-Aronsson, M. , Pehrsson, K. , Nilsson, J. , Nilsson, P. , Lofdahl, C. . "Mortality in GOLD Stages of COPD and its Dependence on Symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis." Respiratroy Research
9(98): 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186
16. Ekpenyong, C. , Ettebong, E. , Akpan, E. , Samson, T. , Daniel, N. . "Urban City Transportation Mode and Respiratory Health Effect of Air Pollution: ACross-sectional Study Among Transit and Non-transit Workers in Nigeria." BMJ Open
, 2012. Retrieved from: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/5/e001253.full
18. Ferrer, M. , Villasante , C. , Alonson, J. , Sobradillo, V. , Gabriel, R.+ . "Interpretation of Quality of Life Scores from the St. George’s Respiratory Questionnaire." Eroupean Respiratory Journal
3, 405-513, 2002. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11936515
24. Hyatt, R. , Scanlon, P. , Nakamura, M. . Interpretation of PulmonaryFunction Tests: A practical guide. Philadelphia: Lipincott Williams &Wilkins., 2009.
25. Idolor, L. F. , De Guia, T. , Francisco, N. , Roa, C. , Ayuyao, F. , Dantes, R. . "Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease in a Rural Setting in the Philippines." Asia Pacific Society of Respirology
7, 1111-1118, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1111
28. Kacmarek, R. , Stroller, J. , Hueur, A. . Egan’s fundamentals of Respiratory Care (10th ed). Missouri: Mosby, 2013.
29. Karakatsani, A. , Andreadaki, S. , Katsouyanni, I. , Dimitroulis, D. , Trichopoulos, V. , Benetou, V. , Trichopoulou, A. . "Air Pollution in Relation toManifestations of Chronic Pulmonary Disease: A Nested-case ControlStudy in Athens, Greece. European Journal of Epidemiology." European Journal of Epidemiology
18, 45-53, 2003. Retrieved from: http://publicationslist.org/data/idimit/ref-15/Karakatsani-2003-Air%20pollution%20in%20rel.pdf
30. Kobayoshi, F. , Watanabe, T. , Akamatsu, Y. , Akamatsu, Y. , Furui, H. , Tomita, T. , Ohashi, R. , Hayano, J. . "Acute effects of Cigarette Smoking on the Heart RateVariability of Taxi Drivers during Work." Scand J Work Environ Health
(5): 360-366, 2005. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16273962
34. Martini, F. H. . Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology. San Francisco: Pearson Education, 2003.
35. Medbo, A. , Melbye, H. . "What Role May Symptoms Play in the Diagnosisof Airflow Limitation? A Study in an Elderly Population" Scandanavian journal of primary health care
26, 92-98, 2008. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/02813430802028938
36. Miller, M. R. , Hankinson, J. , Brusasco, V. , Burgos, F. , Casaburi, R. , Coates, A. , Wanger, J. . "Standardisation of spirometry" European Respiratory Journal.
26, 319-338, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1183/09031936.05.000334805.
38. Persing, G. . Respiratory Care Exam Review. 3rd Ed. Missouri: Elsevier Inc., 2010.
39. Pramanik, P. , Ganguli, I. , Chowdhury, A. , Ghosh, B. . "A Study to Assess the Respiratory Impairments among Three Wheeler Auto Taxi Drivers." International Journal of Life Science & Pharma Research
3, 1, 94-99, 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.ijlpr.com/admin/php/uploads/173_pdf.pdf
42. Sanchez, F. , Faganello, M. , Tanni, S. , Lucheta, P. , Padovani, C. , Godoy, I. . "Relationship between disease severity and quality of life inpatients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease." Brazilian journal of medical and biological research
10, 860-865, 2008. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19037530
43. Shackell, B. , Jones , R. , Harding, G. , Pearse, S. , Campbell, J> . " ‘Am I going to see the next morning?’ A qualitative study of patients’perspectives of sleep in COPD." Primary Care Respiratory Journal
6, 378-383, 2007. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18046494#
45. Stang, P. , Lydick, E. , Silberman, C. , Kempel, A. , Keating, E. T. . "The Prevalence of COPD: Using Smoking Rates to Estimate Disease Frequency in the General Population." Chest
5(suppl 2): 354S-359S, 2000. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10843976
49. Thorn, J. , Tilling, B. , Lisspers, K. , Jorgensen, L. , Stenling, A. , Stratelis, G. . " Improved Prediction of COPD in At-risk Patients Using Lung Function Pre-screening in Primary Care: A Real-life Study and Cost effectiveness Analysis." Primary Care Respiratory Journal
21, 159-166, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4104
50. Wilson, C. , Jones, P. , O, C. , Cole, P. , Wilson, R. . "Validation of the St. George’s respiratory questionnaire in bronchiectasis." American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine
2(pt. 1): 536-541, 1997. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov./pubmed/9279236