Mariel N. Lim,
Vanessa Jane R. Tion,
Melda P. Rubillos
The study aimed to examine the possibility of a correlation between the locus of control and indecisiveness among first year students of students of Cebu Doctors, University for the academic year 2015-2016. A descriptive correlation design was used in the study to determine the level of locus of control and indecisiveness in first year students and to inspect the relationship between the two variables. The study utilized the stratified random sampling technique on the sample size of three hundred sixty-six (366) students from all undergraduate colleges of the university. The study utilized a modified version of the Internal Control Index (ICI) by Duttweiler (1984) and the of Indecisiveness Scale (IS) by Frost and shows (1993). only the instructions of the ICI were modified for the ease of the respondents.
Based on the findings, the study found that majority (296, 81%) of the respondents had obtained high scores in the internal control index, suggesting they are internally controlled. Low scores which suggest an externalized control were found in the remaining respondents (70, 19%). For indecisiveness, majority (311, 85%) of the respondents yielded a moderate level of indecisiveness and a minority (22, 6%) yielded low scores while the remaining (3, 9%) respondents yielded high scores.
The results of the study showed that there was a negative moderate correlation between the variables of locus of control and indecisiveness (r = -0.522, p = 0.000 < 0.01α), which concludes that as the level of locus of control decreases, the level of indecisiveness increases, conversely when the level of locus of control increases, the level of indecisiveness decreases. From these results, it is recommended that respondents with low levels of internal locus of control may seek counseling or participate in programs that would help them to take better control of their lives and to not depend on outside forces. While respondents with high levels of indecisiveness may also seek counseling in order for them to improve their ability to make decisions without undue delay or hesitation. Teachers are also able to use the locus of control and indecisiveness. profiles of their students as a basis on structuring their lessons.
3. Bradley, R. H. , Webb, R. . " Age-related differences in locus of control orientation in three behavior domains." Human Development
19, 49-55, 1976. Retrieved from: http://www.karger.com/Article/PDF/271514
4. Cabigas, K. D. . Level of indecisiveness and its relation to the level of procrastination among female students of Cebu Doctors. Mandaue City. 2013. Cebu Doctors,
6. Dela Cruz, J. B. . The relationship between the locus of control and academic achievement of the third year Radiologic Technology students: Proposed teaching strategies. Mandaue City. 2015. Cebu Doctors,
7. Dilao, Q. M. , Flores, E. . Locus of control differences on academic procrastination among Radiologic Technology students of Cebu Doctors. Mandaue City. 2012. Cebu Doctors,
8. Duttweiler, P. C. . " The internal control index: A newly developed measure of locus of control." Educational and Psychological Measurement
44(2): 209-221, 1984. Retrieved from: http://epm.sagepub.com/content/44/2/209
9. Ferrer, S. . Level of perceived self-efficacy and its influence on indecisiveness among College of Arts and Sciences students of Cebu Doctors. Mandaue City. 2013. Cebu Doctors,
11. Gargari, R. B. , Sabouri, H. , Norzad, F. . " Academic procrastination: The relationship between causal attribution styles and behavioral postponement. " Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
5(2): 76-82, 2011. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3939975/
18. Patalano, A. L. , LeClair, Z. . ". The influence of group decision making on indecisiveness-related decisional confidence." Judgment and Decision Making
6(1): 163-175, 2011. Retrieved from: http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/div3facpubs/279/
19. Patalano, A. L. , Wengrovitz, S. M. . "Cross-cultural exploration of the indecisiveness scale: A comparison of chinese and american men and women. " Personality and Individual Differences
41, 813-824, 2006. Retrieved from: http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/div3facpubs/292/
26. Santrock, J. W. . Psychology (7th ed.). Boston: McGraw Hill, 2003.
27. Schurer, S. , Jonston, D. W. , Shields, M. A. . (2013, November 30). Exploring the evolution and determinants of locus of control over the lifecourse: Evidence from two cohort studies. . . Retrieved from: http://fliphtml5.com/gzdu/smnv/basic
28. Smith, V. L. . Analysis of locus of control and educational level utilizing the internal control index. United States. 2003. (MA) Marshall University, . Retrieved from: http://mds.marshall.edu/etd/881/
29. Wiggins, J. A. , Wiggins, B. B. , Zanden, J. W. . Social psychology (5th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.