Martina Josephine M. Aberasturi,
Marianne Roxette B. Danzalan,
Queenie Rose C. Gerzon,
Angelique L. Ignacio,
Sean Michael B. Uy,
Maia Lucille C. Pacubas
The study aimed to determine the lifestyle habits of first year college students of Cebu Doctors' University for school year 2015-2016. The respondents for this study consisted of 457 first year students of Cebu Doctors University drawn through simple random sampling techniques. The respondents were stratified by their sex (either male or female) and by college (College of Arts and Sciences, College of Nursing, College of Rehabilitative Sciences, College of Allied Medical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, College of Dentistry and the College of Optometry). A total of 140 male and 318 female respondents participated in the study. The study made use of the descriptive comparative cross-sectional analysis research design.
The wellness lifestyle questionnaire was used for data collection. The wellness lifestyle questionnaire consisted of nine categories which included health related fitness, nutrition, avoiding chemical dependency, stress management, personal hygiene/health, disease prevention, emotional well-being, personal safety and environmental health/protection. The 36-item questionnaire was assessed on a five-point scale (ranging from 5 - always, to 1 = never). Thus, the most desirable health practice has 5 points while the least desirable one had one (1) point. The findings of the study showed that lifestyle habits of the respondents needs improvement in health related fitness with a corresponding rating of 81 % and nutrition with 70%. The respondents had good health practices in personal hygiene with 56.9% and stress management 52.7%. The respondents have excellent rating in avoiding chemical dependency with 80.3% and emotional well-being with 46.2%. These findings seem to suggest that the respondents were at a greater health risks and may be taking serious and unnecessary risks with their health. A possible explanation for the poor healthy practices is that respondents in this study may not be aware of the risks inherent in unhealthy lifestyle habits.
The findings of the study corroborates the observations of Hoeger and Hoeger (2002) who reported that many young adults in United States led unhealthy lifestyles which may lead to chronic diseases and other ill-health. Based on the findings of this study, it can be recommended that a health and wellness program be established and implemented in the first year students of Cebu Doctors' University. It was also found out that gender influence lifestyle habits of the respondents where females tend to practice healthier habits than males in nutrition, avoiding chemical dependency, personal hygiene/health, disease prevention, emotional well-being and personal safety while males practice healthier habits than females in health-related fitness.
8. Arria, A. M. , O, K. E. , Caldeira, K. M. , Vincent, K. B. , Wilcox, H. C. , Wish, E. D. . "Suicide ideation among college students: A multivariate analysis." Archives of Suicide Research
13(3): 230-246, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/13811110903044351
9. Bamuhair, S. S. , Ali, I. A. F. , Alaa, A. , Sajida, A. , Saeed, R. , Ibrahim, N. . "Sources of stress and coping strategies among undergraduate medical students enrolled in a problem-based learning curriculum." Journal of Biomedical Education
, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1155/2015/575139
10. Blazina, C. , Watkins Jr., , Edward, C. . "Masculine gender role conflict: Effects on college men" Journal of Counseling Psychology
43(4): 461-465, 1996. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037/0022-022.214.171.1241
13. Chock, M. T. . "The influence of body mass index, sex, and race on college students’ optimistic bias for lifestyle healthfulness. " Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
43(5): 331-338, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.jneb.2010.09.016
14. Cooke, R. , Audin, K. , Barkham, M. , Bewick, B. M. , Bradley, M. . "Measuring, monitoring and managing the psychological well-being of first year university." British Journal of Guidance and Counselling
34(4): 505-517, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/03069880600942624
15. Corbin, C. , Corbin, W. , Welk, G. , Welk, K. . Concepts of physical fitness and wellness: A comprehensive lifestyle approach (10th ed.). Iowa: McGraw, 2012.
17. Dean, E. , Al-Obaidi, S. , De Andrade, A. D. , Gosselink, R. , Umerah, G. , Al-Abdelwahab, S. , Wong, W. P. . "The first physical therapy summit on globalhealth: Implications and recommendations for the 21st century." Physiotherapy Theory and Practice
27(8): 531-567, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.3109/09593985.2010.544052.
22. Ford, E. S. , Bergmann, M. M. , Boeing, H. , Li, C. , Capewell, S. . "Healthy lifestyle behaviors and all-cause mortality among adults in the United States. " Preventive Medicine
55(1): 23-27, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2012.04.016
23. Ganasegeran, K. , AL-Dubai, S. A. R. , Aljunid, S. M. , Al-abed, A. A. , Kurubaran, G. , Qureshi, A. M. , Rizal, A. M. . "Social and psychological factors affecting eating habits among university students in a Malaysian medical school: A cross-sectional study" Nutrition Journal
11(48): 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1186/1475-2891-11-48
29. Hershner, S. D. , Chervin, R. D. . "Causes and consequences of sleepiness among college students." Nature and Science of Sleep
6, 73-84, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.2147/NSS.S62907
30. Hingson, R. , Heeren, T. , Winter, M. , Wechsler, H. . "Magnitude of alcohol-related mortality and morbidity among U.S. college students ages 18–24: Changes from 1998 to 2001. " Annual Review of Public Health
26, 259-279, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1146/annurev.publhealth.26.021304.144652
31. Hoeger, W. W. K. , Hoeger, S. A. . Lifetime physical fitness & wellness a personalized program (12th ed.). Australia: Wadswerth Cengage Learning, 2013.
32. Huang, T. , Harris, K. J. , Lee, R. , Nazir, N. , Born, W. , Kaur, H. . "Assessing overweight, obesity, diet, and physical activity in college students" Journal of American College Health
52(2): 83-86, 2003. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/07448480309595728.
33. Inungu, J. , Mumford, V. , Younis, M. , Langford, S. . "HIV knowledge, attitudes and practices among college students in the United States" Journal of Health and Human Services Administration
32(3): 259-277, 2009. Retrieved from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25790765
34. Jackson, E. S. , Tucker, C. M. , Herman, K. C. . "Health value, perceived social support, and health self-efficacy as factors in a health-promoting lifestyle." Journal of American College Health
56(1): 69-74, 2007. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17711829
39. Labri, J. , Lamb, T. , Pedersen, N. . "Changes in drinking patterns across the transition to college among first-year college males" Journal of Child Adolescent Substance Abuse
18(1): 1-15, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/15470650802526500
40. Laska, N. M. , Pasch, E. K. , Lust, K. , Story, M. , Ehlinger, E. . "Latent class analysis of lifestyle characteristics andhealth risk behaviors among college youth" Prevention Science
10(4): 376-386, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1007/s11121-009-0140-2
41. Leslie, E. , Owen, N. , Salmon, J. , Bauman, A. , Sallis, J. F. , Lo, S. K. . "Insufficiently active Australian college students: Perceived personal, social, and environmental influences" Prevention Medicine
28(1): 20-27, 1999. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9973584
43. Lua, P. L. , Elena, W. D. W. P. . "The impact of nutrition education interventions on the dietary habits of college students in developed nations: a brief review" The Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences
19(1): 4-14, 2012. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3436500/
47. Moreno, A. M. , Jelenchick, A. L. , Koff, R. , Eickhoff, C. J. , Goniu, N. , Davis, A. , Young, N. H. , Christakis, A. D. . "Associations between internet use and fitness among college students: an experience sampling approach." Journal of Interaction Science
1(4): 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1186/2194-0827-
54. Ornish, D. , Scherwitz, L. W. , Billings, J. H. , Gould, L. , Merritt, T. A. , Sparler, S. , Brand, R. J. . "Intensive lifestyle changes for reversal of coronary heart disease." The Journal of the American Medical Association,
280(23): 2001-2007, 1998. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1001/jama.280.23.2001.
58. Price, E. L. , McLeod, P. J. , Gleich, S. S. , Hand, D. . " One-year prevalence rates of major depressive disorder in first-year university students. " Canadian Journal of Counselling
40(2): 68-81, 2006. Retrieved from: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ735829.pdf
59. Qamar, K. , Kiani, M. R. , Ayyub, A. , Khan, A. A. , Osama, M. . "Higher stress scores for female medical students measured by the Kessler psychological distress scale (k10) in Pakistan." Journal of Educational Evaluation for Health Professions
11(27): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3352/jeehp.2014.11.27
66. Strote, J. , Lee, J. E. , Eschsler, H. . " Increasing MDMA use among college students: Results of a national survey." Journal of Adolescent Health
30(1): 64-72, 2002. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.n lm.nih.gov/pubmed/11755802
68. Wang, D. , Xing, X. H. , Wu, X. B. . "Healthy lifestyles of university students in China and influential factors." The Scientific World Journal
(6): 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1155/2013/412950
73. White, C. , Kolble, R. , Carlson, R. , Lipson, N. . "The impact of a health campaign on hand hygiene and upper respiratory illness among college students living in residence halls." Journal of American College Health
53(4): 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3200/JACH.53.4.175-181
75. Wong, J. G. , Chan, K. K. , Cheung, E. P. , Ma, K. K. , Tang, S. W. . " Web based survey of depression, anxiety and stress in first-year tertiaryeducation students in Hong Kong." The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry
40(9): 777-782, 2006. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16911753
79. Yeboah, M. A. , Ansong, M. O. , Antwi, H. A. , Yiranbon, E. , Anyan, F. , Gyebil, F. . "Determinants of workplace stress among healthcare professional in Ghana: An empirical analysis." International Journal of Business and Social Science
5(4): 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.academia.edu/7500833/Determinants_of_Workplace_Stress_a mong_Healthcare_Professionals_in_Ghana_An_Empirical_Analysis
80. Younis, N. . "Assessment of healthy lifestyle habits among Mosul University students." International Journal of Advanced Nursing Studies
3(2): 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.14419/ijans.v3i2.2593