Shernine Marie A. Cardenas,
Rey Enrico O. Eroy,
Patrick C. Laput,
Clyde T. Rocamora,
Niccolain Beatrice A. Suñer,
Maria Alma J. Suico
This study aimed to determine the efficacy of Kinesio Tape as an adjunct to active dynamic stretching in preventing delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) on bilateral quadriceps muscle among soccer players. This was an experimental study with pretest and posttest control group design. The study was conducted at San Roque Football Field Subangdaku, Mandaue City. Seventeen (17) male Rehabilitative Sciences soccer players who qualified based on the inclusion and exclusion criteria participated in the study. Researchers made use of the Pre-Survey Questionnaire to screen for possible subjects and Goniometer to measure the knee range of motion (ROM).
The Pretest Active Knee Extension Range of motion showed no significant difference between the two groups. Basing on the Posttest of Active Knee Extension Range of motion presented also no significant difference. Lastly as to the significant difference Pre-post Test Active Knee Extension Range of Motion was analyzed, it revealed a significant difference between the two groups.
There was no significant difference in the effect of active dynamic stretching alone and active dynamic stretching with Kinesio Tape in decreasing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness on the Quadriceps muscle 48 hours after training drills. Based on the finding the following is the recommendation for future study: Stretching alone is not able to maintain the active knee extension range of motion of the subjects after 48 hours and, therefore it is not effective in preventing DOMS. For future studies the researchers would like to recommend Kinesio Tape as an adjunct to static stretching in preventing DOMS. Furthermore a similar study could be done in the other population such as runners and sprinters on their bilateral gastrocnemius muscle among Cebu Doctors' University Rehabilitative Sciences basketball players. Lastly, to improve the validity of the study, the number of subjects must be increased.
2. Amiri-Khorasani, M. , Abu, O. , Yusof, A. . "Acute effect of static and dynamic stretching on hip dynamic range of motion during instep kicking in professional soccer players." US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health
25(6): 1647-1652, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181db9f41.
3. Bae, S. H. , Lee , Y. S. , Kim, G. D. , Kim, K. Y. . "The Effects of Kinesio-taping Applied to Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness on Changes in Pain." International Journal of Bio-Science and Bio-Technology
6(3): 133-142, 2014. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257 /ijbsbt.2014.6.3.16
6. Bicici, S. , Karatas, N. , Baltaci, G. . "Effect of athletic taping and kinesiotaping on measurement of functional performance in basketball players with chronic inversion ankle sprains." International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
7(2): 154-166, 2012. Retrieved from: http://http//www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ articles/PMC3325641/
7. Brito, J. , Rebelo, A. , Soares, J. M. , Seabra, A. , Krustrup, P. , Malina, R. M. . "Injuries in youth soccer during the preseason." Clin J Sport Med.
21(3): 259-260, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/JSM.0b013e31821a6025.
9. Cheung, K. , Hume, P. , Maxwell, L. . "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: Treatment Strategies and Performance Factor." Journal of Sports Med
33(2): 145-164, 2003. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pubmed/12617692
13. Gogia, P. P. , Braatz, J. H. , Rose, S. J. , Norton, B. J. . "Reliability and validity of goniometric measurements at the knee. " Phys Ther
67(2): 192-195, 1987. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov / pubmed/3809242
14. Herbert, R. D. , Gabriel, M. . "Effects of stretching before and after exercising on muscle soreness and risk of injury: systematic review." Pub Med.
325(7362): 468, 2002. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/ 12202327
19. Kisner, C. , Colby, L. A. . Theraputic Exercise: Foundations and Technique (5th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A Davis Company, 2007.
20. Law, R. Y. , Herbert, R. D. . "Warm-up reduces delayed-onset muscle soreness but cool-down does not: a randomised controlled trial." Australian Journal of Physiotherapy
53(2): 91-95, 2007. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17535144
22. Merino-Marban, R. , Mayora-Vega, D. , Fernandez-Rodriguez, E. . "Effect of Kinesio Tape application on calf pain and ankle range of motion on duathletes." Journal of Human Kinetics
37, 129-135, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.2478/hukin-2013-0033.
24. Norkin, C. C. , White, D. J. . Measurement of Joint Motion: A Guide to Goniometry (4th ed.). Philadephia: F.A. Davis Company, 2009.
31. Yakusawa, A. , Patel, P. , Sisung, C . "Pilot Study: Investigating the Effects of Kinesio Taping in an Acute Pediatric Rehabilitation Setting." The American Journal of Occupational Therapy
60(1): 104-110, 2006. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16541989