Jilian M. Alda,
Rosali Cristy Y. Amoin,
Samuel P. Balisi Jr.,
Marion Joseph A. Bollozos,
Chrysia S. Guaves,
Maria Alma J. Suico
The study was conducted to determine whether simultaneous application of Kinesio Tape to the quadriceps and gastrocnemius muscles had a significant effect in facilitating muscle activity in standing long jump and running speed of deconditioned basketball players of Cebu Doctors' University twenty-four (24) hours after application. The study utilized an experimental pretest and posttest, single group design. The study was conducted in the parking area next to the Mirror Hall of Cebu Doctors' University, was composed of one group of thirteen (13) subjects who were between the ages sixteen (16) and twenty-eight (28) years old, are currently enrolled at Cebu Doctors' University. Pretest measurements were taken wherein the subjects were assessed on their distance (in cm) for standing long jump and time (in seconds) to run 35 meters for running speed.
The result of the study showed that the mean pretest and posttest distance scores of the subjects on standing long jump were 224.37±13.81 and 233.19±13.85 cm, respectively. The mean pretest time scores in running speed of the subjects were also determined and had a mean of 5.27±0.3 seconds while posttest time scores had a mean of 5.1±0.27 seconds. Thus, Kinesio Tape was significant in improving the standing long jump [Mean Difference = 8.81, t(12) = 4.698, p<0.001] and running speed [Median Difference = 0.19, z = -3.183, p<0.001] of the deconditioned basketball players who participated in the study.
The study concluded that the use of Kinesio Tape in facilitating muscle activity in standing long jump and running speed of deconditioned basketball players proved to have a significant effect. The researchers recommend longer duration of the implementation period to provide a stronger evidence of its effects and a thorough explanation of the benefits to encourage the subjects to fully participate in the study. Moreover, the researchers recommend to the basketball players, Physical Therapy students, Physical Fitness trainers, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapy educators, Physiatrists and future researchers the use of Kinesio Tape to optimize the jumping and running ability of deconditioned basketball players during their return to basketball games.
14. Kase, K. , Wallis, J. , Kase, T. . Clinical therapeutic applications of the kinesio taping method (2nd ed.). Japan: Kinesio Taping Association., 2003.
17. Kisner, C. , Colby, L. . Therapeutic exercise: Foundations and techniques (5th ed.) F. A. Davis Company, 2007.
21. Nunes, G. , de Noronha, M. , Cunha, H. , Ruschel, C. , Borges, N. . "Effect of kinesio taping on jumping and balance in athletes: A crossover randomized controlled trial." Journal of Department of Physiotherapy
11, 3183-3189, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e31828a2c17.
25. Vercelli, S. , Sartorio, F. , Foti, C. , Colletto, L. , Virton, D. , Ronconi, G. , Ferriero, G. . "Immediate effects of kinesio taping on quadriceps muscle strength: A single-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trial." Journal of Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
22(3): 319-326, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1097/JSM.0b013e31824c835d
26. Vithoulk, I. , Beneka, A. , Malliou, P. , Aggelousis, N. , Karatsolis, K. , Diamantopoulos, K. . "The effects of kinesio-taping® on quadriceps strength during isokinetic exercise in healthy non athlete women. " Journal of Isokinetics and Exercise Science.
18(1): 1-6, 2010. Retrieved from: http://DOI: 10.3233/IES -2010-0352
30. Wu, W. L. , Wu, J. H. , Lin, H. T. , Wang, G. J. . "Biomechanical analysis of the standing long jump." Biomedical Engineering Applications Basis Communications
15, 186, 2003. Retrieved from: http://DOI: 10.4015/S1016237203000286