Rexlyn A. Albarracin,
Marie Christine D. Papas,
Kimberly T. Perez,
Mary June S. Posadas,
Mikee Marie D. Regis,
Lean Mario Paulo V. Miranda
This study aimed to determine the influence of the level of independence and quality of life on the disaster preparedness of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) in selected barangays of Cebu City. Three (3) types of disabilities were included in the study: the orthopedic, visual, and hearing or speech types. It was conducted at the sports complex of the selected barangays namely: Guadalupe, Tisa and San Nicholas. The stratified random sampling was used in the selection of the respondents. Out of the population of 335 PWDs, 185 were orthopedic, 71 were visually impaired, and 79 have hearing or speech disability. Four (4) research instruments were utilized which included three (3) Modified Functional Status Questionnaires and a researcher-formulated questionnaire.
The results revealed that in the level of independence, there were 125 (67.6%) orthopedic, 37 (52.1%) visual and 39 (49.4%) hearing or speech respondents who were completely independent. However, 60 (32.4%), 34 (47.9%) and 40 (50.6%), respectively,were dependent. In the quality of life, 129 (69.7%) respondents with orthopedic disability, 47 (66.2%) with visual disability and 43 (54.4%) with hearing or speech disability have good quality of life. The remaining 56 (30.0%), 24 (33.8%) and 36 (45.6%), respectively, have poor quality of life. The disaster preparedness was determined and results showed that 129 (69.7%) orthopedic, 52 (73.2%) visual and 51 (64.6%) hearing or speech respondents were fully prepared. The remaining 50 (30.3%), 19 (26.8%) and 28 (35.4%), respectively, were not prepared. Pearson correlation coefficient was used to determine the relationship among variables. For level of independence on disaster preparedness, there was a positive yet very weak correlation (Pearson's r= 0.195, p-value= 0.008, r2=3.80%) among orthopedic type of disability. A strong positive correlation for the visual disability (Pearson's r=0.621, p-value= 0.000 and r2=38.6%). Whereas a weak correlation was found (Pearson's r=0.383, p-value=0.000 and r2=14.7%) in the hearing or speech disability. For the Quality of life on the disaster preparednessfor the orthopedic type of disability, there was a weak correlation (Pearson's r=0.079, p-value=0.284, r2=0.62%). The same indication was found for the visual type of disability, Pearson's r=0.178, p-value=0.138, r2=3.17% as well as for thehearing and speech disability (Pearson's r=0.331, p-value=0.003,r2=11%).
The researchers conclude that the level of independence and quality of life has an influence on the disaster preparedness of PWDs. This result would prompt the rehabilitation team particularly the Physical Therapists in promoting interventions to improve the functional mobility of the PWDs. This would also guide organizations and LGUs to pursue ways to cater to the safety and welfare of PWDs. Lastly, this paper would suggest future investigation regarding the factors that could have other possible effects on the variables of this study.
1. Adigun, K. , Oluleye, T. S. , Ladipo, M. M. A.. , Olowookere, S. A. . "Quality of life in patients with visual impairment in Ibadan: A clinical study in primary care." Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare
7, 173-178, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.2147/JMDH.S51359
5. Americans with Disab, . (2007, November 30). Making community emergencypreparedness and response programs accessible to people withdisabilities.. . Retrieved from: http://www.ada.gov/emergencyprepguide.htm
6. Baker, L. R. , Cormier, L. A. . Disasters and vulnerable populations:Evidence-based practice for the helping professions. Missouri: SpringerPublishing., 2014.
7. Bakhshi, P. , Dubois, J. L. , Trani, J. F. . "Enhancing security and social sustainability, strengthening capabilities: The case of persons with disability in Afghanistan. " Paper presented at the 4th InternationalConference on the Capability Approach “Enhancing Human Security”, University of Pavia, Italy: 2004.
9. Bethel, J. W. , Foreman, A. N. , Burke, S. C. . "Disaster preparedness among medically vulnerable populations." American Journal of Preventive Medicine
40(2): 139-143, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2010.10.020.
11. Chetpakdeechit, W. , Hallberg, U. , Hagberg, C. , Mohlin, B. . "Social lifeaspects of young adults with cleft lip and palate: Grounded theory approach. " Acta Odontologica Scandinavica
67(2): 122-128, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1080/00016350902720888
16. Engelman, A. , Ivey, S. , Tseng, W. , Dahrouge, D. , Brune, J. , Neuhauser, L. . (2012, November 30). Responding to the deaf in disasters: Establishing the need for systematic training for state-level emergency management agencies and community organizations.. . Retrieved from: http://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6963-13-84
19. Fox, M. H. , White, G. W. , Rooney, C. , Rowland, J. L. . "Disaster preparedness and response for persons with mobility impairments results from the University of Kansas nobody left behind study." Journal ofDisability Policy Studies, 17(4): 196-205, 2007
20. Gershon, R. R. , Kraus, L. E. , Raveis, V. H. , Sherman, M. F. , Kailes, J. I. . "Emergency preparedness in a sample of persons with disabilities." American Journal of Disaster Medicine
8(1): 35-47, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.5055/ajdm.2013.0109.
21. Hirvensalo, M. , Rantanen, T. , Heikkinen, E. . "Mobility difficulties andphysical activity as predictors of mortality and loss of independence in thecommunity-living older population." Journal of American Geriatric Society
48(5): 493-498, 2000. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10811541
22. Hunt, O. , Burden, D. , Hepper, P. , Johnston, C. . "The psychosocial effects of cleft lip and palate: A systematic review." The European Journalof Orthodontics
27(3): 274-285, 2005. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1093/ejo/cji004
25. Jacobs, J. M. , Hammerman-Rozenberg, R. , Maaravi, Y. , Cohen, A. , Stessman, J. . "The impact of visual impairment on health, function and mortality." Aging Clinical and Experimental Research
17(4): 281-286, 2005. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16285193
26. Jette, A. M. , Davies, A. R. , Clearly, P. D. , Calkins, D. R. , Rubenstein, L. V. , Fink, A. , Delbanco, T. L. . "The functional status questionnaire:Reliability and validity when used in primary care." Journal of General Internal Medicine
1(3): 143-149, 1986. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3772582
30. Kulkarni, T. , Hande, D. , Parab, K. U. . "Body image and quality of life among individuals with lower limb amputation." Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research
3(3): 63-66, 2014. Retrieved from: http://ijbamr.com/pdf/63-66.pdf
31. Ladtika, S. B. , Ladtika, J. N. , Cornman, C. B. , Davis, C. B. , Chandlee, M. J. . "Disaster preparedness for vulnerable persons receiving in-home,long-term care in South Carolina." Prehospital and Disaster Medicine
23(2): 133-142, 2008. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Disaster+preparedness+for+vulnerable+persons+receiving+in-home%2C+longterm+care+in+South+Carolina+ladtika. PMID:18557293
36. McDowell, I. . Measuring health: A guide to rating scales and questionnaires. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006. . Retrieved from: http://www.a4ebm.org/sites/default
37. Miceli, R. , Sotgiu, I. , Settani, M. . "Disaster preparedness and perception of flood risk: A study in an alpine valley in Italy. " Journal of Environmental Psychology
, 164-173, 2007. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.jenvp.2007.10.006
40. Phibbs, S. , Good, G. , Severinsen, C. , Woodbury, E. , Williamson, K. . "Emergency preparedness and perceptions of vulnerability among disabled people following Christchurch earthquakes: Applying lessons learnt to the Hyogo framework for action." Australasian Journal of Disaster and Trauma Studies
, 37-46, 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.massey.ac.nz/~trauma/issues/2015-IRDR/AJDTS_19-IRDR_full.pdf#page=37
41. Philippine Coordinat, . (2013, November 30). National summit on disability inclusive disaster risk and reduction.. . Retrieved from: pccid.org/project-proposal/
42. Reilly, M. , Markenson, D. S. . Health care emergency management:Principles and practice. Massachusetts: Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2011.
43. Rooney, C. , White, G. W. . "Consumer perspective narrative analysis of a disaster preparedness and emergency response survey from persons with mobility impairments." Journal of Disability Policy Studies
17(4): 206-215, 2007. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1177/10442073070170040301
44. Smith, D. L. , Notaro, S. J. . "Personal emergency preparedness for people with disabilities from the 2006-2007: Behavioral risk factor surveillance system." Disability and Health Journa
2(2): 86-94, 2009. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2009.01.001.
46. Sullivan, H. T. , Hakkinen, M. T. . "Preparedness and warning systems for populations with special needs: Ensuring everyone gets the message (and knows what to do)." Geotechnical and Geological Engineering
29(3): 225-236, 2011. Retrieved from: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10706-010-9363-z
48. Tomio, J. , Sato, H. , Misumura, H. . "Disparity in disaster preparedness among rheumatoid arthritis patients with various general health, functional and disability conditions." Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine
17(4): 322-331, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s12199-011-0257-3
52. van Leeuwen, C. M. , Post, M. W. , van Asbeck, F. W. , Bonger-Janssen, H. M. , van der Woude, L. H. , de Groot, S. , Lindeman, E. . "Life satisfaction in people with spinal cord injury during the first five years after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation." Disability and Rehabilitation
34(1): 76-83, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.3109/09638288.2011.587089