April Danielle Y. De la Cerna,
Niña Christine A. Panebio,
Lew Vykka C. Suico,
Jamie Anjelie I. Yamba,
Chyrel R. Gallego
Physical Therapy (PT) provides services to patients and clients to restore, develop and maintain maximum movement and functional ability throughout lifespan. Although PT has an important role to play in the community, it seems to have a lack of clear identity with the public who demonstrate limited understanding of the scope of the profession. This study was conducted to determine the Level of Knowledge, Perception and Utilization of Physical Therapy services among the residents of Barangay Paknaan, Mandaue City. The researchers utilized a descriptive correlational design to determine the relationship between the level of knowledge, perception and utilization that will serve as a basis for information dissemination program. The study was conducted in barangay Pakna-an, Mandaue City with a total of 350 participants. A modified tool was utilized for the assessment of the respondents' level of knowledge, perception and utilization towards physical therapy services.
Majority of the respondents had moderate level of knowledge with a percentage of 46% while only 22% of the respondents had a high level of knowledge. The level of perception that predominates among the residents was close to equal percentage in terms of positive and negative attitude, wherein positive has a percentage of 51% and negative with a percentage of 49%. Lastly, for the level of utilization, majority reported a low level of utilization wherein it consists of 83% of the respondents while on the other hand, only 2% showed a high level of utilization. Relationship between knowledge and perception showed a significant relationship (p-value, 0.00 ≤ α, 5%) and has a weak direct relationship (r= 0.231). Also, between knowledge and perception showed a significant relationship (p-value, 0.04 ≤ α, 5%) and still has a weak direct relationship (r=0.153). Finally, between perception and knowledge showed no significant relationship (p-value, 0.143 ≤ α, 5%).
Therefore, there was a weak direct relationship on knowledge towards perception and utilization while there is no significant correlation between perception and utilization. Based his findings, the researchers would want to recommend that the respondents be informed of the benefits and purpose of physical therapy services. They could be given orientation or seminars that can help them broaden their insight of physical therapy. Physical therapy practitioners could use this study as a basis to promote and advocate the profession through information dissemination program. Services offered by the Rehabilitation Centers around their area could be endorsed to the residents especially those individuals with disability and impairment.
18. Fomba, S. , Yang, Y. , Zhou, H. , Liu, Q. , Xiao, P. M. . "Patient’s utilization and perception of the quality of curative care in community health centers of the Fifth Commune of Bsamako" Indian Journal of Community Medicine
35(2): 256-261, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4103/0970-0218.66882.
19. Fritz, J. , Hunter, S. , Tracy, D. , Brennan, G. . "Utilization and clinical outcomes of outpatient physical therapy for medicare beneficiaries with musculoskeletal conditions." Physical Therapy
91(3): 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.2522/ptj.20090290
20. Hale, A. , O, R. , Diskin, S. , McEvoy, S. , Keohane, C. , Gormley, G. , Kennedy, N. . (2012, November 30). Physiotherapy in burns, plastics and reconstructive surgery.. . Retrieved from: https://www.physio-pedia.com/images/3/30/Burns_and_Plastics.pdf
22. Hendriks, H. J. M. , Kerssens, J. J. , Heerkens, Y. F. , Elvers, J. W. H. , Dekker, J. , Van Der Zee, J. , Oostendorp, R. A. B. . "Referral patterns and utilization of physiotherapy services following a one-time physiotherapist consultation in general practice." Physiotherapy: Theory and Practice
19, 5-21, 2003. Retrieved from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09593980307968#.Vw5W-tR97IU
26. Johnsey, T. , Swaminathan, N. , Rebello, S. , Vishal, K. . "Awareness of physiotherapy among the Anganwadi workers in Dakshina Kannada: A survey." Muller Journal of Medical Sciences and Research
4(2): 57-63, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.4103/0975-9727.118224
30. Keus, S. H. J. , Bloem, B. R. , Breder-Cohen, A. B. , de Geode, C. J. T. , van Haaren, M. , Jaspers, M. , Munneke, M. . "Clinical practice guidelines for physical therapy in patients with Parkinson’s disease. In KNGF, Guidelines for physical therapy in patients with Parkinson’s disease. " Supplement to the Dutch Society for Physiotherapy
114(3): 2004. Retrieved from: http://www.appde.eu/pdfs/Dutch%20Parkinson
31. Keus, S. H. J. , Bloem, B. R. , Hendriks, E. J. M. , Bredero-Cohen, A. B. , Munneke, M. . "Evidence-based analysis of physical therapy in Parkinson" Movement Disorders
22(4): 451-460, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1002/mds.21244.
36. Tesfahun, F. , Worku, W. , Mazengiya, F. , Kifle, M. . "Knowledge, perception and utilization of postnatal care of mothers in Gondar Zuria District, Ethiopia: A cross-sectional study." Maternal and Child Health Journal
18(10): 2341-2351, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1007/s10995-014-1474-3.
41. Zautra, A. J. , Burleson, M. H. , Smith, C. A. , Blalock, S. J. , Wallston, K. A. , DeVellis, R. F. , DeVellis, B. M. , Smith, T. W. . "Arthritis and perceptions of quality of life: An examination of positive and negative affect in rheumatoid arthritis patients" Health Psychology
14(5): 399-408, 1995. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1037//0278-6126.96.36.1999