Mary Charmagne Arcibal,
John Christopher Bolonia,
Aira Jane Cabardo,
Ron Louise Salomon,
The study aimed to determine the formalin concentration present in selected fishes sold at Carbon Public Market and to identify which of the three species were positive(above 10 ppm) and negative (below 10 ppm) for above normal formalin concentrations. The selected fish were: Decapterus maruadsi or Bodboron, Rastrelliger kanagurta or Anduhaw, and Auxis thazard thazard or Tamban. Colorimetric method was used and was based on the "Determination of Formaldehyde in Fish Meat Using Nash's Reagent" by Castell and Smith as recommended by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources. Samples of the three species mentioned above, were collected from the 65 fish vendor stalls. The concentration of formalin in the samples was then measured at a wavelength of 412 nm.
The results show that two out of 65 samples or three point seventeen percent of the Anduhaw fish were found out as positive for adulteration, while 63 out of 65 or 96.92% were negative. Also, seven out of 65 samples or 10.77% Tamban fish were found out as positive while 89.23% or 58 out of 65 samples were negative. Lastly, seven point sixty nine percent or five out of 65 samples of Bodboron fish were found out as positive while 92.31 % were negative.
Therefore, a high percentage of the fish sold in Carbon Public Market contained formalin levels that are within permissible limits, there were 14 out of 195 fish samples or 7.18% that went beyond 10 ppm. Most of the fish sold in Carbon Public Market were considered safe for human consumption.
3. Ayon, K. I. . "80,000kg formalin fish enter country everyday: No policy for fish import yet. " The daily star.
, 2007. Retrieved from: http://Archive.thedailystar.net.
4. Bureau of Fisheries , . (2011, November 30). Fishing with the use of fishing vessels more than three gross tons. . . Retrieved from: www.bfar.da.gov.ph.
14. Mohammed, V. M. S. , Sheriff, , Mohideen, S. A. K. , Azmatullah, N. P. G. , Research Department, . "Toxicity of formalin on behaviour and respiration in Danio rerio." International Journal of Environmental Sciences
2(4): 1904-1908, 2010. Retrieved from: http://Doi: 10.6088/ijes.00202030073.
20. Sienko, M. J. , Plane, R. A. . Chemistry: Principles and Applications. 3rd ed. New York: : McGraw-Hill. , 1979. . Retrieved from: http://edo57pa141.1pdf.
23. Uddin, R. , Wahid, M. I. , Jesmeen, T. , Huda, N. H. , Sutradhar, K. B. . "Detection of formalin in fish samples collected from Dhaka City, Bangladesh." Stamford Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
4(1): 49-52, 2011. Retrieved from: http://https://www.google.com.ph/search?newwindow= 1&esp v=2&q=detection+of+formalin+uddin&oq=detection+of+formalin+uddin&gs_l=serp.3..35i39.5469.8352.0.9126.96.36.199.0.0.0.229.1243.1j4j2.7.0.enullwli...0...1.1.60.serp..4.7.1236.dBGOTTZMhu8#.