Albert Christopher C. Aviles,
Neo Benjamin C. Calanza,
Cherry Belle R. Carolino,
Hannah Riena R. Cubar,
Shaun Edward B. Dy,
Denise M. Enriquez,
Trisha Mae E. Labunog,
Shiryl G. Romo,
Myrna T. Salinas,
Krieza Joy B. Salmero,
Mary Y. Mancao
OBJECTIVE: To determine the relationship of socioeconomic status, gender, and physical activity on the body mass index among adolescents in a private and public secondary school.
DESIGN: Descriptive correlation research design
SETTING: Private secondary school in Mandaue City and a public secondary school in Cebu City
SUBJECTS: Adolescents, with ages 12-18, currently enrolled in the said school with duly signed assent forms, not in any form of scholarship and without current disabilities and diseases that could affect their physical activities.
PROCEDURES: After the technical and ethical approval, a presurvey was conducted among secondary students from a different private and public school. Assent forms were signed, questionnaires for the actual data gathering were distributed and answered by the 302 respondents
RESEARCH INSTRUMENTS: The socioeconomic profile was taken from the 2 schools. Physical activity questionnaire for adolescents by Kowalski, et al.was the tool
RESULTS: Gender had no significant relationship with BMI. Socioeconomic status had significant positive relationship with BMI,r=0.30,p
CONCLUSION: There was a significant inverse relationship between body mass index and physical activity. body mass index was in direct proportion with socioeconomic status. there was no significant relationship between body mass index and gender
KEYWORDS: Socioeconomic status,gender,physical activity,body mass index,adolescent,school
2. (). Chapter 4. WHO. Nd., n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2014.
4. (). Prevalence of obesity and overweight among 6-12 years old public elementary school children in Cebu City betweenNovember 2001 and January 2002.. WHO Obesity and Overweight N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Aug. 2013. . Retrieved from: www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html
5. DuRant, R. H., Baranowski, T. , Johnson, M. , Thompson, W. O.. The relationship among television watching, physical activity, and body composition of young children Pediatrics 94: 1994. 449-455.
6. Katch, F. I., William, McArdle D.. Nutrition, Weight Control and Exercise, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1988.
7. The International Websters Comprehensive Dictionary of the English Language Chicago, Illonois: J. G. Ferguson Publishing Company, 1996.
8. Alderman, Harold , Hans, Hoogeveen , Mariacristina, Rossi . "Reducing child malnutrition in Tarzania" Economics & Human Biology
4(1): 1-23, 2006. Retrieved from: http://Pubmed Web
9. Goodman, E. , Slap, G. B., Huang, B. . "The public health impact of socioeconomic status on adolescent depression and obesity" American Journal of Public Health
93(11): 1844-1850, 2003. Retrieved from: http://Pubmed web 20 July 2013
12. Alderman, Harold , et al, . "Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania" Economics & human biology 4(1): 1-23, 2006
13. Chan-Cua, Sioksoan . "Prevalence of overweight among boys in a metro Manila private grade school" Journal of ASEAN federation of endocrine societies 1, 16-20, 2013
14. Dahly, DL , et al, . "The spatial distribution of overweight and obesity among a birth cohort of yound adult filipinos ( Cebu Philippines,2005: an application of the Kulldorff spatial scan statistic." Nutrition and diebetis 80(10): 10-38, 2013
16. Gonzales, CB Suarez, Somers, K Grimmer. "The association of physical activity and physical fitness with pre-adolescent obesity: an observational study in Metro Manila, Philippines" Journal of Physical activity and health 8(6): 804-10, 2011
17. Sobal , Jeffery , Stunkard, Albert J.. "Socioeconomic status and obesity: a review of the literature " Psychological bulletin 105(2): 260-275, 1989
18. Dalton , Conley . Gender,body mass and socioeconomic status: new evidence from the PSID Emerald group publishing, 2006.
19. Moore, Spencer . "Global and National socioeconomic disparities in obesity,overweight and underweight status" Journal of obesity , 1-11, 2010