Georgy Annika M. Gabriente,
Nur Aileen M. Gampong,
Emyrose A. Gayas,
Connie Franchesca S. Hernandez,
Isabella Linn Rachelle D. Isanan,
Dannah Kristel M. Montalban,
Ivy B. Manulat,
Kevin Neil M. Pansoy,
Rudi Marie Ruth J. Reynes,
Gio Diosdado O. Siman,
Rommel P. Merioles
This study aimed to determine the relationship of self-concept and the level of parenting perceptions among the pregnant adolescents of Mandaue City as basis for information dissemination. The study utilized a Descriptive Correlational Research Design. It is conducted in the selected barangays: Subangdaku, Tipolo, Guizo, Mantuyong, Maguikay, and Casuntingan. There were 72 respondents chosen through purposive non-probability sampling by the following criteria: pregnant adolescents between ages 12-19 years old, residents of Mandaue City, primigravida, and whose expected date of confinement falls beyond March 2014. The researchers utilized 2 questionnaires: The Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, consisting 10-items that measure the level of self-concept and the revised Adult-Adolescent Parenting Inventory, consisting 40-items to measure level of parenting perceptions. The researchers submitted their transmittal letters to the Dean of Cebu Doctors' University-College of Nursing, the Mandaue City Health Office, the Barangay Captain and Midwives of the selected area. The research instruments were subject for pilot study to determine the reliability and validity of the tools. The researchers then proceeded with the actual data gathering. Informed and assent forms were signed along with the questionnaires. After all items answered, the data was collected and tallied and interpreted accordingly.
The following are the results of the collated data after statistical treatment; in terms of age, most of them were 19 years old (44.4%). For their civil status, 88.9% were single. 34.7% or 25 were second-born child. 66.6% or 48 reached high school level. 79.2% or 57 lived with parents. 84.7% had an average level of self-concept. In terms of Level of Parenting Perception; 91.6% had medium level in the construct of Parental Expectations; 75% had low level in Parental Empathy towards Children's needs; 79.2% had low level in Corporal Punishment; 61.1% had low level in Parent-Child Family Roles; all, or 100% had low level in Children's Power and Independence.
There is a significant relationship between self-concept and level of parenting perceptions in the following constructs: parental expectations, parental empathy, use of corporal punishment, and parent-child family roles of the selected pregnant adolescents; however, self-concept is not significant with the construct of children's power and independence due to the lack of knowledge and experience of the pregnant adolescent. There are specific modifier variables that affect the relationship between the self-concept and the Level of Parenting Perceptions of the selected pregnant adolescents, which are ordinal position and educational attainment, but only to the fourth child and high school level respectively.
1. Barber, J. , Axinn, W. , Thornton, A. . "Unwanted childbearing,health, and mother-Child relationships" Journal of Health and Social and Social Behavior 40, 231-257, November 1999
3. Berman, A. , Snyder, S.J. , Kozier, B. , Erb, G. . Kozier and Erb’s fundamentals of nursing. (8thed.). New Jersey: Pearson, 2007.
4. Blascovich , J. , Tomaka , J. . The Self-Esteem Scale. Measures of Personality andSocial Psychological Attitudes. Volume 1 San Diego: Academic Press, 1991.
9. Culp , R.E. , Culp, A. M. , Dengler, B. , Mainsano, P. . "First-Timeyoung mothers living in rural communities use corporal punishment with their toddlers" Journal of Community Psychology
27(4): 503-509, July 1999. Retrieved from: http://vitz.webs.com/11771734.pdf
12. Duncan, G.J. . How non-marital childbearing is affected byneighborhoods, marital opportunities and labor-market conditions. . Report to Congress onout-of-wedlock childrearing. (DHHS Pub. No. (PHS) 95-1257) 1995. . Retrieved from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/misc/wedlock.pdf.
13. Erikson, E. . Childhood and society New York: Norton, 1963. 254-255.
24. Republic of the Phil, . (2012, November 30). World population day 2013 is focused on adolescent pregnancy.. . Retrieved from: http://www.popcom6.ph/news.html
25. Rosengard, C. , Pollock, L. , Weitzan, S. , Meers , A. , Phipps, M. . (2005, November 30). Concepts of the advantages and disadvantages of teenage childbearingamong pregnant adolescents: A qualitative analysis.. . Retrieved from: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/118/2/503.full.pdf