Jeanne Riz O. Regis,
Nelly G. Arquero,
Karen D. Hibanada,
Marybeth R. Labrador,
Omar Benedict U. Siarot,
Rhea B. Batucan,
Dexter A. del Mar,
Diamond V. Talite,
Anthony James A. Ngujo
Design: Non-experimental ex-post facto (descriptive correlational) design.
Setting: The Intensive Critical Care Units of Chong Hua Hospital, Cebu (Velez) General Hospital and Cebu Doctors' Hospital in Cebu City.
Subjects/ Participants: All sixty-one (61) ICCU staff nurses of the three selected private hospitals.
Procedures/ Intervention: An evaluation questionnaire based on the Guideline for Handwashing and Hospital Environmental Control (1985) were administered to all ICCU nurses. Three nurses evaluated one nurse. The evaluators and evaluatees were selected by simple random sampling.
Research Instruments/ Measures: An evaluation questionnaire.
Results: Majority (55.56%) of the ICCU staff nurses in Hospital C. scored excellent in their handwashing compliance while Hospitals A and B staff nurses scored very satisfactory (85.71% and 58.0% respectively). Hospital A had a 23% incidence rate of nosocomial infection, Hospital B 15.0%, and Hospital C 1.6%. Results of the computation of the Pearson-Product Moment Correlation Coefficient showed a computed r value of negative 0.85 against a critical value of 0.900 at 0.05 level of significance. This indicates a high inverse relationship between the variable (though not significant).
Conclusion: There is no significant relationship between the handwashing among the staff nurses and the incidence of nosocomial infection in the ICCU of selected private hospitals in Cebu City.
Objectives: To determine the relationship between the handwashing compliance among the staff nurses and the incidence of nosocomial infection in the ICCU of selected private hospitals in Cebu City from January to September 1999.
1. Brunner, Lillian , Suddarth Smith, Doris . Medical-surgical nursing East Washington Square, Philadelphia: The J. B. Lippincott Company, 1993.
2. Brunner, Lillian , Suddarth Smith, Doris . Textbook of medical surgical nursing 6th ed. London: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1998.
3. Garner, Simmons . Medical-surgical nursing. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company, 1983.
4. Phipps, Wilma . Medical-surgical nursing 1st ed. Philadelphia: J.B Lippincott Company,
5. Taylor, Carol . Fundamentals of nursing. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1993.