Luz Consolacion Medina,
This research study was done to assess the attitudes of the second year nursing students of the Cebu Doctors' College of Nursing towards mental illness prior to their clinical exposure. This utilized the nonexperimental design.
The problem is:
"What are the attitudes of second year nursing students towards mental illness prior to their actual clinical exposure.
This research work was conducted at Cebu Doctors' College of Nursing. The study subjects were the Theta class of 1983 who answered the questionnaires based on a prepared tool by Dr. Stephen Ring after a permit from the Dean of the college was sought. The responses of the study subjects for each statement were tallied and the researchers computed the percentages of the study subjects positive and negative attitudes based on teh age distribution and ordinal position of the study subjects.
The results showed that based on age distribution and attitudes towards mental illness. 62% of the study subjects had positive attitudes; 31% had negative attitudes while 7% were undecided. For ordinal position and attitudes towards mental illness, 63% of the study subjects had positive attitudes; 32% had negative attitudes and 5% were undecided.
The group recommended that a follow-up study particularly on theses study subjects after their theory and clinical exposure to psychiatric nursing be done to determine if a change in attitude is present. A replication using the first year nursing students as study subjects is also recommended to find out if the responsed of the study subjects are similar of different.
1. Hofling, Charles . Basic pscyhiatric concepts in nursing Philadelphia: F. A. Davis Co., 1967.
2. Hurlock, Elizabeth . Child development New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1942.
3. Manfreda, Marquerite Lucy . Psychiatric nursing 19th ed. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis Co., 1968.
4. Travelbee, Joyce . Intervention in pscyhiatric nursing Philadelphia: F. A. Davis, Co., 1970.
5. Fabrega, Horacio , Browse, E. . "Somatic and stylistic features of nursing students" Nursing Times 20(4): July 1975-August 1975
6. Ring, Stephen . "Attitudes toward mental illness and the use of caretakers in a black community" Bethopsychiatry 18, July 1979
7. Smith, E. . "Attitudes of students and psychiatric nurses towards mental illness" Nursing Times 73(30): July 1977
8. Swain, Helen . "Nursing attitudes towards mental illness" Nursing Research 22(1): January 1973-February 1973
9. Walsh, Joan E.. "Introduction in psychiatric nursing, level of anxiety and direction of attitude change toward mental illness" Nursing Research 20(6): November 1971-December 1971