Emerson Jay B. Molina, Ronald A. Yutangco, Maria Angela S. Cruz-Anacleto, Jennifer Doria-Del Castillo,
Patricia J. Aguinod-Cheng Related Institution
Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
Philippine Journal of Ophthalmology
OBJECTIVE: This study investigated the relationship of diabetic retinopathy with ankle/brachial (ABI) scores and the presence of microalbuminuria in type 2 diabetic patients. METHODS: A prospective cross-sectional study of type 2 diabetic patients, aged 40-85 years, were recruited from the outpatient department of a tertiary hospital. Ankle/brachial index scores and the presence of microalbuminuria were determined. The presence and stage of diabetic retinopathy were assessed through contact lens biomicroscopy. RESULTS: There were 49 patients who participated in the study. Significant associations between severe diabeticretinopathy and abnormal ABI scores (p = 0.01) and the presence of microalbuminuria (p=0.01) were found. CONCLUSION: Patients with severe diabetic retinopathy were more likely to have abnormal ankle/brachial index scores and microalbuminuria. Thus, those presenting with severe diabetic retinopathy were not only at risk of losing their sight but also at higher risk of developing life-threatening systemic vascular and renal complications of diabetes. References
1. "The effect of intensive diabetes treatment on the progression of diabetic retinopathy in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT)"
Arch Ophthalmol 113, 36-51, 1995
2. Lovestam-Adrian, M , Agardh, E , Agardh, CD . "The temporal development of retinopathy and nephropathy in type 1 diabetes mellitus during 15 years diabetes duration"
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 45, 15-23, 1999
3. Rani, P , Raman, R , Gupta, A . "Albuminuria and diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Sankara Nethralaya Diabetic Retinopathy Epidemiology and Molecular Genetic Study (SN-DREAMS, report 12)"
Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome 3, 9, 2011
4. Potisat, S , Srisubat, A , Krairttichai, A , Jongsareejit, A . "The relationship between microalbuminuria by using urine dipsticks and diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes mellitus"
J Med Assoc Thai 6, 846-51, 2008
5. Manaviat, M , Afkhami, M , Shoja, M . "Retinopathy and albuminuria in type 2 diabetic patients"
Int J Endocrinol Metab 4, 153-157, 2005
6. Kawasaki, R , Cheung, N , Islam, A . "Is diabetic retinopathy related to subclinical cardiovascular disease?"
Ophthalmology 118, 860-865, 2011
7. Yun, YW , Shin, MH , Lee, YH . "Arterial stiffness is associated with diabetic retinopathy in Korean type 2 diabetic patients"
J Prev Med Public Health 44, 260-266, 2011
8. Tanaka, K , Kawai, T , Saisho, Y . "Relationship between stage of diabetic retinopathy and pulse wave velocity in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes"
J Diabetes Res 2013, 193514, 2013
9. Ricciardi, G , Vaccaro, O , Rivellese, A . "Association between diabetic retinopathy and impaired peripheral arterial circulation in insulin-dependent diabetic patients"
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 8, 509-514, 1988
10. Tryniszewski, W , Gadzicki, M , Maziarz, Z . "Progression of diabetic retinopathy correlated with muscle perfusion disturbances of the lower limbs, with clinically important diagnostic recommendations"
Arch Med Sci 6, 904-911, 2010
11. Khan, T , Farooqi, F , Niazi, K . "Critical review of the ankle brachial index"
Curr Cardiol Rev 4, 101-106, 2008
12. Minetti, E , Cozzi, M , Granata, S , Guidi, E . "Accuracy of the urinary albumin titrator stick ‘Micral-Test’ in kidney-disease patients"
Nephrol Dial Transplant 12, 78-80, 1997
13. Wilkinson, C , Ferris, F , Klein, R . "The Global Diabetic Retinopathy Project Group. Proposed International Clinical Diabetic Retinopathy and Diabetic Macular Edema Disease Severity Scales"
Ophthalmology 110, 1677-1682, 2003
14. Papanas, N , Symeonidis, G , Mavridis, G . "Ankle-brachial index: a surrogate marker of microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus?"
Int Angiol 26, 253-7, 2007
15. Chandy, A , Pawar, B , John, B , Isaac, R . "Association between diabetic nephropathy and other diabetic microvascular and macrovascular complications"
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant 19, 924-928, 2008
16. Resnick, H , Lindsay, R , McDermott, M . "Relationship of high and low ankle brachial index to all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality (The Strong Heart Study)"
Circulation 109, 733-739, 2004
17. Sobngwi, E , Mbanya, JC , Moukouri, EN , Ngu, KB . "Micro- albuminuria and retinopathy in a diabetic population of Cameroon"
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 44, 191-196, 1999
18. Glassock, RJ . "Is the presence of microalbuminuria a relevant marker of kidney disease?"
Curr Hypertens Rep 12, 364-368, 2010