Honorata G. Baylon, Melodyn U. Uy, Ma Luz U. del Rosario,
Beatrice J. Tiangco Related Institution
Publication Sub Type
Philippine Journal of Internal Medicine
Six times a year (6x/year)
In this report, we present a 9-year-old female with acute myelogenous leukemia who underwent transplantation using umbilical cord blood (UCB) stem cells from a one-antigen HLA-mismatched unrelated donor. Following conditioning with busulfan, cyclophosphamide and anti-thymocyte globulin, UCB was infused with a total nucleated cell dose of 3.39 x 10 exponent 7/kg Ideal body weight and the CD34+ cell dose was 2.6 x 10 exponent 5/kg ideal body weight. Delayed neutrophil and platelet engraftment were noted, comparable with data previously reported following transplantation of UCB. Engraftment analysis 36 days post-transplant was consistent with complete donor chimerism. There was no associated clinically significant graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). Bone marrow aspiration post-transplantation showed no evidence of acute myelogenous leukemia. She is currently 143 days post-transplant. This case describes our local experience with UCB transplant as a treatment option for pediatric acute myelogenous leukemia.
RATIONALE AND OBJECTIVE:: The allogeneic transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells is known to cure some patients with high-risk hematologic malignancies. However, its use is limited by the lack of HLA-matched donors and the risk of graft-versus-host disease, the complications of which become more severe with increasing HLA disparities. As a result, there continues to be a need to look for other sources of these stem cells. In 1988, a child with Fanconi anemia was successfully transplanted using umbilical cord blood from his HLA-identical sister. This case Demonstrated for the first time the ability of cord blood stem cells to repopulate a host lymphohematopoietic system. Since then, more than 2500 UCB transplants have been performed worldwide both related and unrelated donors, establishing cord blood as a viable alternative source of Hematopoietic stem cells.
Graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) on the other hand, can negatively impact overall survival and the Quality of life of patients post-transplant. Comparing with bone marrow transplantation, using UCB has also been associated with a lower incidence and severity of GVHD, even with the use of HLA-mismatched units. This report aims to demonstrate our local experience with mismatched unrelated UCB transplantation as therapy for a child with acute myelogenous leukemia. Issues specific to UCB transplants such as those pertaining to engraftment, cell dose, infections and graft-versus-host disease will be discussed. Likewise, current literature regarding the UCB in children with acute myelogenous leukemia will be reviewed. (Author)
This report aims to demonstrate our local experience with mismatched unrelated umbilical cord blood transplantation as therapy for a child with acute myelogenous leukemia.
1. Schiller, G , Feig, S A, Torrito, M , et al, . "Treatment of advanced leukemia with allogeneic bone marrow transplantation from unrelated donors"
British Journal of Haematology 88, 72, 1994
2. Szydlo, R , Goldman, J M, Klein, J P, et al, . "Results of allogeneic bone marrow transplants for leukemia using donors other than HLA-identical siblings"
Journal Clinical Oncology 15, 1767, 1997
3. Gluckman, E , Broxmeyer, H E, Auerbach, A D, et al, . "Hematopoietic reconstitution in a patient with Fanconi's anemia by means of umbilical cord from an HLA-Identical sibling"
The New England Journal of Medicine 321, 1174, 1989
4. Gluckman, E . "Current status of umbilical cord blood hematopoietic stem cell transplantation"
Exp Hematology 28, 1197, 2000
5. Barker, J N, Wagner, J E. "Umbilical cord blood transplantation: Current state of the art"
Current Opinion Oncology 14, 160, 2002
6. Kurtzberg, J , Laughlin, M , Graham, M L, et al, . "Placental blood as a source of hematopoietic stem cells for transplantation into unrelated recipients"
The New England Journal of Medicine 335, 157, 1996
7. Wagner, J E, Rosenthal, J , Sweetman, R , et al, . "Successful transplantation of HLA-mismatched umbilical cord blood from unrelated donors: Analysis of engraftment and acute graft-versus-host disease"
Blood 88, 795, 1996
8. Rubinstein , P , Carrier, C , Scaradavou, A , et al, . "Outcomes among 562 recipients of placental-blood transplants from unrelated donors"
The New England Journal of Medicine 339, 1565, 1998
9. Gluckman, E , Rocha, V , Boyer-Chammard, K A, et al, . "Outcome of cord blood transplantation from related and unrelated donors"
The New England Journal of Medicine 337, 373, 1997
10. Rocha, V , Wagner, J E, Sobocinski, K A, et al, . "Graft-versus-host disease in children who have received a cord blood or bone marrow transplant from an HLA-identical sibling"
The New England Journal of Medicine 342, 1846, 2000
11. Rocha, V , Cornish, J , Sievers, E L, et al, . "Comparison of outcomes of unrelated bone marrow and umbilical cord blood transplants in children with acute leukemia"
Blood 97, 2962, 2001
12. Rubinstein , P , Stevens, C E. "Placental blood for bone marrow replacement: The New York blood center's program and clinical results"
Baillieres Best Prac Res Clin Haematol 13, 565, 2000
13. Mayani, H , Landsorp, P M. "Biology of human umbilical cord blood-derived hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells"
Stem Cells 16, 153 - 165, 1998
14. Wynter, E A, Emmerson, A JB, Testa, N G. "Properties of peripheral blood and cord blood stem cells"
Baillieres Clin Haematol 1/2, 1, 1999
15. Leung, W , Ramirez, M , Novelli, E M, et al, . "In vivo engraftment potential of clinical hematopoietic grafts"
Journal Investig Med 46, 303, 1998
16. Locatelli, F , Rocha, V , Chastang, C , et al, . "Factors associated with outcome after cord blood transplantation in children with acute leukemia"
Blood 93, 3662, 1999
17. Wagner, J E, Barker, J N, DeFor, T E, et al, . "Transplantation of unrelated donor umbilical cord blood in 102 patients with malignant and nonmalignant diseases: Influence of CD34 cell dose and HLA disparity on treatment-related mortality and survival"
Bood 100, 1611, 2002
18. Boeckh, M , Riddeli, S R, Woogerd, P , et al, . "Primary CMV infection via marrow: Incidence, response to early treatment, CMV-specific immune reponse, and risk of late CMV disease" In: 9th International Symposium on Infections in the immunocompromised host, Assisi, Italy: 1996.
19. Ljungman, P , Aschan, J , Azinge, J N, et al, . "Cytomegalovirus viremia and specific T-helper cell responses as predictors of disease after allogeneic marrow transplant"
British Journal of Haematology 83, 118, 1993
20. Michel, G , Rocha, V , Chevert, S , et al, . "Unrelated cord blood transplantation for childhood acute myeloid leukemia: A Eurocord group analysis"
Blood 102, 4290, 2003