Nelia T. Lopez, Ruel Taclibon, Delia C. Ongtengco,
Merlyn C. Cruz Publication Information
Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
In searching for potential alternative treatments for diseases caused by the public health threat Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), the crude extract of 'tonkin' or Dominican Bean (Ipomoea muricata (L.) Jacq. Family Convolvulaceae) was assayed in vitro against 26 clinical isolates of MRSA. The National Committee on Clinical Laboratory Standards oxacillin-salt agar screen and agar dilution method were used to screen and confirm the resistance of the test isolates. All of the isolates were inhibited by 1 mg of 'tonkin' extract in the disk-agar diffusion assay, producing diameters of zones of inhibition that ranged from 10 mm-15.5 mm. Using the agar dilution method,'tonkin' at a concentration 62.5 ng/ mL,inhibited the growth of all MRSA isolates tested. This is within the good potential level of plant extract concentration for clinical applications.
1. Kloos, W.E. , Bannerman, T.L. . "Staphylococcus and Micrococcus. In P.R.Murray, E.J. Baron, MaA Pfaller, F.C. Tenevor, R.H. Yolken (ed). Manual ofClinical Mircrobiology (7th edition)"
ASM Press, Washington, D.C. 276, 1999
2. Salyers, A.A. , White, D.D. . "Bacterial Pathogenesis a Molecular Approach. 2nd edition"
ASM Press, Washington, D.C. 539, 2002
3. "Essential Procedures forClinicalMicrobiology"
ASM Press, Washington, D.C. 838, 1998
4. Tenover, F.C. , Lancaster, M.V. , Hill, B.C. , Steward, C.D. , Stocker, S.A. , Hancock, G.A. , O, C.M. , McAllister, S.K. , Clark, N.C. , Hiramatsu, K. . "Characterization of Staphylococcoci with Reduced Susceptibilities to Vancomycin and other Glycopeptides"
j Clin Microbiol 63(4): 1020-1027, 1998
5. Hiramatsu, K. , Aritaka, N. , Hanaki, H. , Kawasaki, S. , Hososda, Y. , Hori, S. , Fuckuchi, Y. , Kobayashi, I. . "Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Dissemination of Heterogeneously Resistant Strains in Japanese Hospital"
Lancet 350, 1670-1673, 1997
6. Vannufel, P. , Laterre, P. , Bouyer, M. , Vandercam, J.G.B. , Reynaert, M. , Gala, J. . "Rapid and Specific Molecular Identification of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Endotracheal Aspirates from Mechanically Ventilitaed Patients"
J Clin Microbiol 36(8): 2366-2368, 1998
7. Quisumbing, E. . "Medicinal plants of the Philippines"
Katha Publishing Co., Quezon City, Philippines 1262, 1978
8. Villanueva, N. . "A General Survey of the Chemical Composition of Tonkin Seeds (Calonyction muricatum Linn)"
Thesis. Graduate School, University of Santo Tomas , 1954
9. Lugay, J. Jr, Lerma, N.V. . "Studies on the Antibacterial Activity of Calonyction muricatum"
Acta Manilana 1, 7-46, 1965
10. Tumangan, T.N. , Santos, A.C. , Guevara, B.Q. . "Antimicrobial Evaluation of Alkaloid-containing Extracts from Philippine Plants, Part II"
Acta Manila Series A 15(24): 46-53, 1976
11. Guevara, B.C. , Solevilla, R.C. , Ochoa, Y.B. , Santiago, A.T. , Chua, J.A. . "Preliminary phytochemical, microbiological and pharmacological studies of Calonyction muricatum Linn (Convolvulaceae)"
Acta Manilana 17(27): 20, 1978
12. Nonato, M.G. , Guevara, B.Q. , Toia, R.F. . "Two antibacterial compounds from ipomoea muricata (L.)Jaco (Convol Vulaceae)"
Acta Manilana 35, 7-14, 1986
13. Ysrael , M.C. , Nonato, G. . "Biological activities of Chemical Constituents from Ipomoea muricate (Jacq) Convolculaceae"
Acta Manilana 47, 41-52, 1999
14. Cardona, C.C. . "The Activity of the Crude Extracts of Ipomoea muricata (Jacq). Convolvulaceae against Selected Clinical isolates"
Thesis Graduate School University of Santo Tomas , 2002
15. Mitscher, L.A. , Drake, S. , Gollapudi, S. , Okwute, S. . "A Modern Look at Folkloric Use of Anti-infective Agents"
J Nat Prod 50(6): 10-25-1040, 1987
16. National Committee f, . "Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility testing. 9th Informational Supplement. M100-S9, 19:1"
Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical Inc. Ranitan, NJ 088869-0602 , January 1999
17. Washington, J.A. . "Laboratory procedures in Clinical Microbiology"
Springer-Verlag, New York 856, 1981