Miguel Angelo Tamayo,
Jose Rowell Ramirez Related Institution
Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
Philippine Journal of Anesthesiology
Levobupivacaine is the oure S(-)-enantiomer of racemic bupivaciane but is less toxic to the heart and central nervous system. Previous studies have shown that it is of equal potency with Bupivacaine in terms of onset of motor blockade, duration of sensor and motor blockade but a significant delay in the onset motor blackade (21 min versus 10 min). one study was done where aspirated CSF was used instead of adding sodium bicarbonate to adjust the pH-adjusted Levobupivacaine0.5% for spinal anesthesia. Thirty patients undergoing elective minor surgery received either 15mg of Levobupivacaine 0.5% isobaric or solution of 15mg of Levobupivacaine 0.5% isobaric with 1:1 mixture of aspirated CSF. Time of motor block onset and pH level were measured in both groups. Results showed faster motor block onset for pH-adjusted Levobupivacaine (1.87 +/- 0.65min versus 18.70 +/-3.26min) and pH level was also higher (7.12 +/-0.05 versus 6.04 +/-0.28). we conclude that the alkalinization by addition of CSF to Levobupivacaine 0.5% via 1:1 mixture speeds the onset motor block. Time to reach a Bromage score from 0 to 3 was shorter and pH level was more basic from the pH-adjusted Levobupivacaine, which may explain the faster onset since pH of the solution was closer to the pKa of Levobupivacaine.
1. Crandell, JT , Kotelco, DM . "Cardiotoxicity of local anesthetics during late pregnancy"
Anesth Analg 64, 204, 1985
2. Strichartz, GR , Berde, CB . Local anesthetics. RD Miller (ed): Anesthesia New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1994. (4th ed.)
5. Denson, D , et al., . "Enantiomer-specific effects of an intravenously administered arrhythmogenic dose of bupivacaine on neurons of the nucleus tractus solitarius and the cardiovascular system in the anesthetized rat"
17, 311-316, 1992. Retrieved from:
6. Mazoit, J , et al., . "Myocardial uptake of bupivacaine: II. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of bupivacaine enantiomers in the isolated perfused rabbit heart"
77, 477-482, 1993. Retrieved from:
7. Graf, BM , et al., . "Stereoselectivity of bupivacaine on cardiac Na channels in dependent on cAMP"
Anesthesiol 83, A304, 1995
8. Graft, BM , et al., . "Enantiomer-specific component of bupivacaine alters only AV-conduction in isolated hearts"
Anesthesiol 81, A749, 1994
9. Huang, YF , et al., . "Cardiovascular and central nervous system effects of intravenous levobupivacaine and bupivacaine in sheep"
86, 794-804, 1998. Retrieved from:
10. "Reduced cardiotoxicity of levobupivacaine compared with racemic bupivacaine: new clinical evidence"
Exp Opin Invest Drugs 3, 1209-1212, 1994
11. Ang, M , Andres-Lim, MJ . "A randomized double-blind comparison of spinal levobupivacaine 0.5% versus bupivacaine"
St. Lukes Medical Center , 2005
12. Galindo, A . "pH-adjusted local anesthetics: clinical experience"
Reg Anesth 8, 35-36, 1983
14. Ozer , H , Solak, S , Oguz, T , Ocguder, A . "Alkalinisation of local anaesthetics prescribed for pain relief after surgical decompression of carpal tunnel syndrome"
J Orthop Surg
13, 285-289, 2005. Retrieved from:
16. Ramirez, R , et al., . "A comparative study of tetracaine 0.67% and pH-adjusted tetracaine 0.67% solution for spinal anesthesia"
St. Luke ,
17. "A comparative study of the safety and efficacy of 0.5% levobupivacaine and 0.5% bupivacaine for epidural anesthesia in subjects undergoing elective caesarean section"
40, 13-20, 2002. Retrieved from:
18. Bardsley, H , Grsitwood, R , et al., . "A comparison of the cardiovascular and metabolic effects of levobupivacaine and racbupivacaine following intravenous administration to healthy volunteers"
Br J Clin Pharmacol 46, 245-249, 1998
19. Morrison, SG , et al., . "A comparison of the electrocardiographic cardiotoxic effects of racemic bupivacaine, levobupivacaine, and ropivacaine in anesthetized swine"
90, 1308-1314, 2000. Retrieved from:
22. McLure, HA , Rubin, AP . "Comparison of 0.75% levobupivacaine with 0.75% racemic bupivacaine for peribulbar anaesthesia"
53, 1160-1164, 1998. Retrieved from:
25. Ritchie, JM , Ritchie, B , Greengard, P . "The effect of the nerve sheath on the action of local anesthetics"
J Pharmacol Exp Ther
150, 160-164, 1965. Retrieved from:
26. Bartfield, JM , Homer, PJ , Ford, DT , et al., . "Buffered lidocaine as a local anesthetic: an investigation of shelf life"
Ann Emerg Med
21, 16-9, 1992. Retrieved from:
29. "Spread of spinal anaesthesia using various doses of plain 0.5% bupivacaine injected at the LIV-V interspace"
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand
33, 652-655, 1989. Retrieved from:
31. Urmey, WF , Stanton, J , et al., . "The direction of the Whitacre needle aperture affects the extent and duration of isobaric spinal anesthesia"
84, 337-341, 1997. Retrieved from: