Richard Antanis, Prospero Ma. Tuaño, Jay Vicencio, Jose Ma. Martinez,
Lee Verzosa Related Institution
Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
Philippine Journal of Ophthalmology
This is a prospective, randomized, double-masked comparative study involving adult cataract patients given topical NSAIDs (ketorolac or nepafenac) or balanced salt solution (control) prior to phacoemulsification and capsular bag intraocular-lens (IOL) implantation at a tertiary hospital. Horizontal and vertical diameters of pupil were measured at different stages of cataract surgery and the mean values were compared across the three groups.
A total of 47 eyes of 44 cataract surgery patients, 13 males and 34 females, with a mean age of 66.04 ± 8.87 years, were included in the study. The mean horizontal and vertical diameters of the three groups were similar at the start of surgery. Significant differences were seen after IOL implantation, with the nepafenac group having the largest mean diameters in both horizontal (p = 0.012) and vertical (p = 0.012) pupil measurements.
Topical nepafenac has been shown to be a more effective inhibitor of miosis during phacoemulsification and provides a more stable mydriatic effect throughout the surgical procedure compared to topical ketorolac and placebo. Objectives
This study compared the effectiveness of prophylactic administration of topical ketorolac tromethamine 0.5% and nepafenac 0.1% on maintaining mydriasis during phacomulsification.
1. Linebarger, EJ , Hardten, DR , Shah, GK , et al, . "Phacoemulsification and modern cataract surgery"
44(2): 123-147., September 1999-October 1999. Retrieved from:
4. Gupta, VP , Dhaliwal, U , Prasad, N . "Ketorolac tromethamine in the maintenance of intraoperative mydriasis"
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers
28(9): 731-738, September 1997. Retrieved from:
5. Solomon, K , Turkalj, JW , Whiteside, SB . "Topical 0.5% ketorolac vs 0.03% flurbiprofen for inhibition of miosis during cataract surgery"
115(9): 1119-1122, September 1997. Retrieved from:
6. Cervantes-Coste, G , Sanchez-Castro, YG , Orozco-Carroll, M , et al, . "Inhibition of surgically induced miosis and prevention of postoperative macular edema with nepafenac"
3, 219-226, 2009. Retrieved from:
9. Flach, AJ , Lavelle, CJ , Olander, KW , et al, . "The effect of ketorolac tromethamine solution 0.5% in reducing postoperative inflammation after cataract extraction and intraocular-lens implantation. "
95(9): 1279-1284, September 1988. Retrieved from:
12. Bucci, FA Jr, Waterbury, LD , Amico, LM , et al, . "Prostaglandin E2 inhibition and aqueous concentration of ketorolac 0.4% (Acular LS) and nepafenac 0.1% (Nevanac) in patients undergoing phacoemulsification"
Am J Ophthalmol
144(1): 146-147, July 2007. Retrieved from: