Frederick Y. Hawson,
Gil M. Vicente
Publication Sub Type
Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
This is a case report involving a 49 year old female with a chief complaint of right lateral neck mass with a history of chronic non-productive cough and exposure to pigeon droppings. Flexible endoscopy revealed masses in the nasopharynx and the right trachea-bronchial junction. CT scan showed a right pre-and para-vertebral loculated cystic mass extending from the nasopharynx to the oropharynx biopsy of which revealed Cryptococcal infection. This unusual feature is made the more significant in that it occurred in a non-immuno compromised patient and lends more concrete evidence as to the lymphatic spread of cryptococcal infection.
This is probably the first case of cryptococcosis with such unusual manifestations in both local and international literature. Awareness of this should help in the early recognition and management of the disease.
2. Blitzer, A , Lawson, W . "Fungal infections of the head and neck" The Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 26(6): 1993
3. Choi, SS , et al., . "Cryptococcal sinusitis: a case report and review of literature " Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery 99(4): 414-418, 1988
4. Cummings, CW , et al., . Otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. St. Louis: Mosby Book, 1993. (2nd Ed. Vo)
5. Isselbacher, , et al., . Harrison's principles of internal medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994. (13 Edition)
6. Jwetz, E . Review of medical microbiology. Norwalk: Appleton Lange, 1987. (17 Ed.)
7. Korvick, J , Vl, Yu . "Cryptococcal tonsillitis in apatient with chronic lymphoocytic leukemia" American Journal of Hematology 25(4): 475-478, 1987
8. Mandell, GL , et al., . Principles and practice of infectious disease . New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1990. (Vol. 3)
9. Paparella, MM , Shumrick, DL . Otolaryngology. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company, 1993. (Vol. 1)