Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
Philippine Journal of Pediatrics
OBJECTIVE. To compare the short-term outcome of an 8-week combined dietary-behavior-physical activity program using physical activity versus step count goals in the management of overweight children and adolescents.
DESIGN. Randomized controlled trial.
SETTING. Pediatric primary care clinic at a private primary care hospital.
PARTICIPANTS. Thirty-seven overweight children/adolescents 9-15 years old, not previously in a weight management program, with parents willing to come for follow-up.
METHODOLOGY. Participants underwent a seminar on healthy living with dietary and physical activity recommendations and randomized to 2 groups. The control group was encouraged 60 minutes/day of moderate intensity activity. The pedometer group was encouraged to take additional 2000 steps/day from baseline. Measurement data, 3-day food recall and activity or step logs were gathered every 2 weeks for 8 weeks.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES. Mean daily activity, steps per day, weight, BMI, BMI percent, waist and hips circumference.
RESULTS. Both groups significantly decrease in weight (p<0.001), BMI (p<0.001) and waist circumference (p<0.0001). Physical activity level increased to recommend level for the control group. Pedometer group completes successfully increased steps from 7193 (± 2391) to 12832 (± 1904).
CONCLUSION. This brief preliminary multi-component program that encouraged increasing physical activity or step count to recommend levels both reflected an increase in physical activity, reduced weight, BMI and waist circumference in the study population. (Author)
1. (2000, November 30). National Nutritional Survey of the Food and National Research Institute. www.fnri.com.ph.
2. (). National Nutritional Survey of the Food and National Research Institute. www.fnri.com.ph.
3. Gotera A, , Regalado J, . "Overweight and obesity in adolescent males from an upper-class urban school" Philippine Pediatric Society Researches 1, 249, 1998
4. Cua S, . "Prevalence of overweight among boys in a private school in Metro Manila" AFES J 2, 11-13, 1996
5. Trent M, . "Adolescent obesity: Identifying a new group of at-risk youth" Pediatric Annals 3, 559-564, 2002
6. Himes JH, , Dietz WH, . "Guidelines for overweight in adolescent preventive services: Recommendations from an expert committee" Am J of Clin Nutr 59, 307-316, 1994
7. Strauss R, . "Child Obesity & Self-Esteem" Pediatrics 105, e15-19, 2000
8. Behrman RE, , Kliegman RM, , Arvin AM, . Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co., 2004. (17th ed)
9. Prevalence of Overweight Among Children and Adolescents: United States, 1999-2000. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics
10. Margan CM, , Tanofsley-kaff MD, , Wilfley DE et al., . "A Childhood obesity" Ch Adol Psychiatric Clin of N Am 11(2): 257-258, 2002
11. Goran MI, . The rationale for a preventive approach to obesity in children. In F.,L. Trow-bridge FL, Kibbe DL, eds. Childhood obesity: Partnerships for research and prevention Washington, DC: ILSI Press, 2002. 32-39.
12. Mc Crary MA, , Fuss PJ, . "Dietary variety within food groups: Association with energy intake and body fatness in men and women" Am Journal of Clin Nutr 69, 440-447, 1999
13. Zizza C, , Siega-Riz AM, , Popkin BM, . "Significant increase in young adults" Prev Med 32, 303-310, 2001
14. Munoz KA, , Krebs-Smith SM, , Ballard-Barash R et , . "Food intakes of US children and adolescents compared with recommendations" Pediatrics 100, 323-329, 1997
15. Saelens BE, , Sallis JF, , Wilfley DE et al., . "Behavioral weight control for overweight adolescents initiated in primary care" Obes Res 10(1): p22-32, 2002
16. Gortmaker SL, , Must A, , Sobol AM et al., . "Television viewing as a cause of increasing obesity among children in the United States. 1986-1990" Arch of Ped Adol Med 105(4): 356-362, 1996
17. Allis JF, , Simons-Morton BG, , Stone EJ et al., . "Determinants of physical activity and interventions in youth" Official J of the Am CoIl Sports Med 24(6): s248-257, 1992
18. Story M, , Faulkner P, . "Prime Time Diet: A content analysis on eating behavior and food messages in television program content and commercials" Am J of Pub Health 80(6): 738-740, 1990
19. Epstein LH, , Wing RR, , Koeske R et al., . "A Control of Lifestyle change and programmed aerobic exercise on weight and fitness changes in obese children" Behav Ther 13, 651-665, 1982
20. Epstein LH, , Valoski AM, , Wing RR et al., . "Ten year outcomes of behavioral family-based treatmeent for childhood obesity" Health Psychol 13, 373-383, 1994
21. Epstein LH, , Wing RR, , Steranchak et al., . "Control of family based behavior modification and nutrition education for childhood obesity" J of Ped Psychol 5, 25-36, 1980
22. Epstein LH, , Myers MD, , Raynor HA et al., . "Treatment of pediatric obesity" Pediatrics 101, 554-70, 1998
23. Edmunds L, , Waters E, , Elliot EJ, . "Evidence based management of childhood obesity" Brit Med J 323, 916-919, 2001
24. Nemed D, , Barkan S, , Eptein Y et al., . "Short and long-term beneficial effects of a combined dietaryphysical activity intervention fo, the treatment of childhood obesity" Pediatrics 115(4): e443-e449, 2005
25. Pratt M, , Macera CA, , Banton C, . "Levels of physical activity and inactivity in children and adults in the Unites States: Current evidence and research issues" Med.Sci Sports Exerc. 31, s526-s533, 1999
26. Scruggs PW, , Beveridge SK, , Eisennman PA et al., . "Quantifying physical activity via pedometry in elementary physical education" Med Sci Sports Exerc 4, 1065-1071, 2003
27. Tudor-Locke C, , Myers AM, . "Methodological considerations for researchers and practitioners using pedometer to measure physical activity" Res. Q. Exerc. Sport. 72, 1-12, 2001
28. Tudor-Locke CE, . "Taking steps toward increased physical activity: Using pedometers to measure and motivate" Presidents Council on Physical Fitness and Sport 3(17): 118, 2002
29. Bassett Jr. D, , Ainsworth B, , Leggett et al., . "Accuracy of five electronic pedommeters for measuring distance walked" Med Sci Sports Exerc 28, 1071-1077, 1996
30. Schonhofer B, , Ardes P, , Geibel M et al, . "Evaluation of a movement detector to measure daily activity in patients with chronic lung disease" Eur Resp J 19(12): 2814-2819, 1997
31. Vincent SD, , Pangrazi RP, . "Does reactivity exist in children when measuring activity levels with pedometers?" Pediatr Exer Sci 14, 56-63, 2002
32. Bassett D, . "Validity and reliability issues in objective monitoring of physical activity" Res Q Exerc Sport 71(2): 30-36, 2000
33. Freedson P, , Miller K, . "Objective monitoring of physical activity using motion sensors and heart rate" Res Q Exerc Sport 71(2): S21-S29, 2000
34. Beighle A, , Pangrazi RP, , Vincent SD, . "Pedometers, physical activity, and accountability" JOPERD 72(9): 16-19, 2001
35. Yamanouchi K, , Shinozaki T, , Chikada K et al., . "Daily walking combined with diet therapy is a useful means for obese NIDDM patients not only to reduce body weight but also to improve insulin sensitivity" Diabetes Care 18(6): 775-778, 1995
36. Barlow SE, , Dietz WH, . "Obesity Evaluation nd Management: Expert Committee Recommendations" Pediatrics 102, E29-35, 1998
37. US Department of Agriculture US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2000 Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture US Department of Health and Human Services, 2000. (5th ed)
38. Pate R, , Trost S, , Williams C, . Critique of existing guidelines for physical activity in young people. In: Biddle S, Sallis J, Cavill N, eds. Young and Active? Young People and Health Enhancing Physical Activity - Evidence and Implications London, UK: Health Education Authority, 1998. 162-173.
39. Anderson J, . "Combination approaches to weight management" Med Sci Sports Exerc 36(5): 911-914, 2004
40. Rodearmel S, , Barry M, , Israel R et al., . Center for Human Nutr 2, 4, 3-4, May 2004
41. Crawford PB, , Obarzanek E, , Morrison J et al., . "Comparative advantage of 3 day food records over 24-hour recall and 5 day food frequency validated by observation of 9-and 10-year-old girls" J Am Diet Assoc 94(6): 626-630, 1994
42. Natow AB, , Helson J, . The Fat Counter. New York, N.Y.: Pocket books, 1998. (4th ed)
43. Guillaume M, , Lapidus L, , Bjorntorp P et aI., . "Physical activity, obesity and cardiovascular risk factors in children: The Belgian Luxembourg Child Study II" Obes Res 5, 549-556, 1997
44. Fowler-Brown A, , Kahwati LC, . "Prevention and treatment of overweight in children and adolescents" Am Fam Phy 69, 2591-2598, 2004
45. Ambler C, , Eliakim A, , Brasel JA et aI., . "Fitness and the effect of exercise training on the dietary intake of healthy adolescents" Int J Obes Relat Metab Disorder 22, 354-362, 1998
46. Bingham SA, . "Limitations of the various methods for collecting dietary intake data" Ann Nutr Metab 35, 117-127, 1991